Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just recently bought the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener, the 3/8" version for my Stihl MS441RCM with a 25" 3/8" full chisel full comp chain. I know the Pferd version is same thing and usually cheaper but my local Stihl dealer has them for $35 and did not see Pferd version any cheaper.

After I sharpened the chain, it seems like it took too much off the depth gauges. When cutting, the chain would grab and stall, it was not real bad but I had to control it a little more to stop it grabbing. The next time I sharpen, I will either take the depth gauge out or be careful and pay more attention to how much down pressure I am putting on it as there is some flex on it.

On this sharpener, are the 2 lines on the metal bars supposed to be for 30 degrees?

I also have this sharpener in the .325 version for the MS261CM we have that has a .325 20" full comp chain. I tried it out on a 26 rm stihl chain. I sharpened one tooth with it and it was not right at all. It was taking way too much off the top of the tooth. Now this is a safety chain that has the extra depth gauge, not sure if that affects how the tooth gets sharpened but I don't think it should unless they are way too high to begin with. Here is a pic of what it looked like.

Screenshot_1.png

Your chain is worn out. I’m sure some folks run em longer but I don’t. I own a Stihl 2in 1 in your gage and it works great. BUT, after using it the first time and getting questionable results I discovered it had been assembled wrong. One of the guides was inserted into the incorrect hole in the handle, giving me a really ******up cut. Rough as a cobb. It was taking the rakers down too much and putting a weird angle on the cutters. After fixing the 2n1 and resharpening the saw, things got better fast. Get you a new chain, and check out your 2n1.

Your chain is worn out. I’m sure some folks run em longer but I don’t. I own a Stihl 2in 1 in your gage and it works great. BUT, after using it the first time and getting questionable results I discovered it had been assembled wrong. One of the guides was inserted into the incorrect hole in the handle, giving me a really ******up cut. Rough as a cobb. It was taking the rakers down too much and putting a weird angle on the cutters. After fixing the 2n1 and resharpening the saw, things got better fast. Get you a new chain, and check out your 2n1.

I should have mentioned this in my original post but the rest of the teeth are not that short. This one and only this one got that short because of messing around with the 2 in 1. And honestly, I don't think that is to the point of being worn out just yet, not far from it but still a little life left in that.

Ouch that doesn't look good at all. On any chain that I have filed that has that extra depth gauge is a little higher than the actual depth gauge.

I am going to use your thread as kind of a sounding board. Like you mentioned the Pferd system is basically the same thing and has been around much longer than the Stihl so called new and improved way to sharpen a saw. I tried the Pferd system years ago and gave up on it mostly because the depth gauge file dulled quickly and did not really do as good a job as just using a regular file and going back to redo the depth gauges if they needed it. I haven't tried this new Stihl sharpener and it seems to be all the rage like the wheel got reinvented or something to that effect but it really can't be that much better than just using a regular file. Time will tell if stands the test of time. What works today may not work so good tomorrow.

Sorry for the rant but I just can't see spending the money on one of these types of sharpeners especially after my Pferd experience.

I have checked my 2 in 1 .325 version and everything looks as it should. Don't see anything wrong as far as I can tell.

Now this shouldn't be the case and better not be the case. Maybe it is possible that this guide doesn't work on certain chains or safety chains. I have an older .325 non safety chain, not sure of the model of that chain, that is wore out and don't use it anymore. Tried the 2 in 1 on it and it looked good, now not able to actually test it out in wood but looks nothing like the pic.

If anyone else here uses a 26 rm chain and uses the 2 in 1 to sharpen it, whether it be the stihl or pferd verson, let me know your results.

I did a little comparing with a few different chains and how the 2 in 1 sits on the teeth and the gauges. I started with the 26 rm chain, the one that it does not sharpen right and to me, the file looks like it is sitting really high on the tooth, which would explain why it made the tooth look like it does in the pic. So I looked at how it is on the older .325 chain, which looks to sharpen it good and the same thing, the file looks to be sitting really high on the tooth as it does with the 26 rm.

Make sure the files are inserted correctly. I have the Stihl 2 in 1 for 3/8" pitch and bought a Pferd version for .325, mostly because the difference in color of the plastic made it easy to identify which was which. Both files work really well for me. You might pay attention to the force you use on the file; it might affect how much material is removed from the depth gauge vs the cutter. Think light touch and smoooooooooth stokes. I don't have enough experience yet to know for sure, but I think my 046 cuts better when the chain has been finished with the 2 in 1 even after I have ground it. A friend of mine who was watching me block some red oak commented on it one day as well.

If the 2 in 1 puts too much bite in the chain, you can always file the cutters a little more using a Stihl file guide. I would have thought the 2 in 1 would never be thought of as a progressive file, but I guess it could be if it's removing too much material on the depth gauges.

I think the file should work equally well on RM or RS, although I haven't tried RM yet. I seldom use it.

Make sure the files are inserted correctly. I have the Stihl 2 in 1 for 3/8" pitch and bought a Pferd version for .325, mostly because the difference in color of the plastic made it easy to identify which was which. Both files work really well for me. You might pay attention to the force you use on the file; it might affect how much material is removed from the depth gauge vs the cutter. Think light touch and smoooooooooth stokes. I don't have enough experience yet to know for sure, but I think my 046 cuts better when the chain has been finished with the 2 in 1 even after I have ground it. A friend of mine who was watching me block some red oak commented on it one day as well.

If the 2 in 1 puts too much bite in the chain, you can always file the cutters a little more using a Stihl file guide. I would have thought the 2 in 1 would never be thought of as a progressive file, but I guess it could be if it's removing too much material on the depth gauges.

I think the file should work equally well on RM or RS, although I haven't tried RM yet. I seldom use it.

All the files are inserted correctly. I would think it would work on RM as well but just strange that it works fine on 2 non safety chains but not so good on a safety chain.

Tried to buy a Stihl 2 in 1 over a year ago, the Stihl dealer said he was sold out on the one needed for my 562xp and he would call when they became available again but he has never called.

For the time being, I am going to just come to the conclusion that this guide does not work well with safety chains. I am sure it is supposed to be able to but it just isn't for me. If I was doing something wrong or the guide was defective, why does it do fine on other non safety chains?

I have the .325 one.
It only works properly on full chisel chain for me, on semi it takes way too much off the depth gauges, I removed the depth gauge file so I could use it as it does great on the cutters and is really easy to use in the field.

This just seems odd to me that Stihl would sell a tool that works good for one type of chain but not another .

This just seems odd to me that Stihl would sell a tool that works good for one type of chain but not another .

Yeah I know and don't really think that is the case but I just don't understand it.

I found another .325 safety chain for a saw that we don't use anymore, it's a long story. It looks to be a fairly new chain, not much use. Not sure of the model but I do know it is an oregon brand. It is a full chisel safety chain. I used the guide to sharpen one tooth and it looked like it did fine. I have no way of testing it out as it doesn't fit our current saws.

The chain that it messed up on is a semi chisel safety chain. One thing I could think of is maybe there are a few rare chains that this guide doesn't like and I found one of them.

I may go to our local stihl dealer and see if they can shed any light on this.

I have 2 of the stihl sharpeners and I was skeptical at first over the quality of job they would produce.

I'm no logger, just a homesteader that messes with saws for fun but I haven't used my grinder for a year as the 2 in one files make my RS chains razer sharp.

They dont work well on other chains I've tried though so I only use them on RS chains which is all I pretty much use anyhow.

Back