Best Yard Cart?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 2 ton trailer model and use it a lot behind my compact tractor. Wood, gravel, brush.........what ever. Once you use a hydraulic dump you become very spoiled. It is sufficiently narrow (4 ft) to trailer easily in the woods. It is too large however for an ATV. If you haul a lot of heavy loads the tires will give out after a while. Though I would like to have something heavier than a 2 ton rating (gravel adds up quickly) I would get another one. W. Jones

I think for an ATV to haul firewood around, somewhere in the 3x5 to 4x6 size would be ideal. Depending on the size of the ATV of course. These size carts will hold 20-40 cubic feet depending on side depth, so at say 40-50 lbs/cubic foot, we're talking up to 1600-2000 lbs.

I've owned several trailers/carts and with 800 lb base weight garden tractors as the pulling vehicle, a 4x6 trailer with about a quarter- a third of a cord is a good combination. Once you go past that, things can get scary on hills.

My current trailer, a 4x6 Supertilt weighs 850 lbs empty. It's built like a brick **** house. I wish it was 4x8, but at least i'll never overload it, even with dirt. The 2 ton CMI would be nice. The 2500 lb model I had was 38" x 7'. I made a bigger bed that was 4' x 7'.

I bought a cheap piece of junk from Craigslist. It was an older car axle (with springs, even!) and a round pipe welded on for the hitch. I put some decent tires on it and a chunk of plywood for the base. Even had sides which lasted a lot longer than I thought. When it started to fall apart, I rebuilt the frame, taking off the springs to make it lower. Easier to get rounds and heavy stuff on it. I used Advantech for the platform and didn't build any sides - just a 1/2" tall lip around the edges. I've hardly used the thing now. Maybe it's time to get rid of it. Any takers?

Old boat trailers would make for a good light weight trailer to haul stuff around the property. Most are galvanized and fairly low profile. I've been looking for a cheap one to make a cart out of.

That Northern tool double axle rig looks pretty nice for a quad and hills for the price. Too much bigger can get pretty dicey on slopes if your quad isn’t heavy I’d imagine. I’m a flat lander in Ohio so no expert on that.

I’d check Craigslist or others for something too. If you get much over a grand or so it’s time to start looking at used older JD gators and similar machines. They are the cats meow for yard wood duty!

If you're getting too worried about the weight you need to realize it's an ATV. Take more trips or get something bigger.
You're looking for trouble if you keep trying to bypass that fact.

Some great suggestions, and I found this one that I think would work great for my needs (Polar Mesh Trailer):
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200674098_200674098
upload_2019-2-1_13-44-8.png
There was a great review on YouTube from a guy that used it all season with updated videos.

Northern Tool has it for $349 plus $196 shipping (unless I drive 2 1/2 hours to pick up at nearest NT store for free shipping....worth it)

Interestingly I found this site that is selling it for $191 with FREE shipping!!
http://www.united-tools.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=300

Anybody ever heard of United Tool??? Seems to be based in Singapore!
Not feeling real confident about them

Some great suggestions, and I found this one that I think would work great for my needs (Polar Mesh Trailer):
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200674098_200674098
View attachment 701142
There was a great review on YouTube from a guy that used it all season with updated videos.

Northern Tool has it for $349 plus $196 shipping (unless I drive 2 1/2 hours to pick up at nearest NT store for free shipping....worth it)

Interestingly I found this site that is selling it for $191 with FREE shipping!!
http://www.united-tools.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=300

Anybody ever heard of United Tool??? Seems to be based in Singapore!
Not feeling real confident about them
That's the one I got from N T, I think it will suit my needs greatly tho I haven't used it severely yet. I don't think that diamond mesh bottom will hold up to throwing firewood in it so I covered it with 1/2'' plywood.

I've been using this old John Deere cart for years. Keep expecting it to fall apart, but it just keeps going. This thing has hauled a lot of wood over the years. I put the quad in low range when I'm hauling . I wouldn't want a cart much bigger than this. I really don't mind extra trips cause I'm having fun when I'm doing this. :)

IMG_0635.JPG

Unloaded.

2wd, fifth gear wide open. Time is money.

:D

Unloaded.

2wd, fifth gear wide open. Time is money.

:D

Yeah, there's work mode and fun mode, and 5th is fun.

Curiosity had me check the owner's manual on the quad when I got home. (Susuki Eiger 400cc) Tow rating is 1000 lbs. Can get there pretty quick with wet red oak as in my pic. If you start with a trailer that's already 300-400 pounds empty, it doesn't take much wood to exceed that. You're on the mark with your earlier post about staying within an ATV's parameters.

I've been using this old John Deere cart for years. Keep expecting it to fall apart, but it just keeps going. This thing has hauled a lot of wood over the years. I put the quad in low range when I'm hauling . I wouldn't want a cart much bigger than this. I really don't mind extra trips cause I'm having fun when I'm doing this. :)

View attachment 701163
I second the John Deere 80 cart, got one a few yrs ago, love it. If you find one on CL or yard sale, buy it.

• Sell now- Have one to sell?

Shop with confidence
    eBay Money Back Guarantee
    Get the item you ordered or get your money back. Learn more- opens in new window or tab
    Seller information
    usedjdmowerparts (5688 )
    100% Positive feedback

Save this Seller

Contact seller
    Visit store
    See other items

JOHN DEERE 80 CART

Condition:
    Used

“FAIR DECENT”

Was:
    US $395.00 Buy It Now-

Add to cart-

Best Offer:

Make Offer-

Add to watch list

Ships from United States
    5 watchers
    Free local pickup

Shipping:
    Free Local Pickup | See details

Item location:
    McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, United States

Ships to:
    Local pick-up only

Delivery:
    Varies

Payments:
    s_1x2.png
    s_1x2.png
    s_1x2.png
    s_1x2.png
    s_1x2.png

logoPaypalCredit_104x16.png

*$33 for 12 months. Minimum purchase required. See details

I like the Ohio Steel carts that NT sells, but I've noticed that they're much cheaper through TSC which we don't really have around here. I need something a little smaller for when I'm scrounging in the woods. For hauling up to the house or into the garage though, I've thought about a cheap one of those 4x8 trailers, so then I can build it to hold half a cord. I only store around 10-12 cu ft in the house at one time so those smaller carts work well, about one load a week unless it's below zero.

I'm still thinking I should just have one built for hauling in the woods.

For hauling up to the house or into the garage though, I've thought about a cheap one of those 4x8 trailers, so then I can build it to hold half a cord.

Make sure you get a heavy duty one. The ones like Harbor freight sells are only rated for 1100-1200 lbs. A half cord of fresh cut oak or hickory, for example could be more like 3000 lbs

I'd plan on a minimum 3500 lb axle

Back