Splitting with My Allwood Oak Series Splitter Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lknchoppers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had a chance to make a video of splitting of large white oak and red oak rounds the other day. I have had this splitter for 4 months now and I am still pretty satisfied with it, I'm not nearly as tired after splitting firewood. I split 3 full cords Saturday & Sunday without too much trouble.

There's something serious going on with your 4 way. In the video it looks like it's loose as hell and the angle changes a lot from with it's up to when you hide it. I'd look into that before something get damaged.

There's something serious going on with your 4 way. In the video it looks like it's loose as hell and the angle changes a lot from with it's up to when you hide it. I'd look into that before something get damaged.

Sometimes wood chips build up in the space between the leading wedge and where the 4-way rides up and down and it does that. I checked it and the nut holding the 4-way wedge on the piston is tight.

In your video, look at 5:25........watch the 4 way. It looks like the top of the 4 way, the piece that slides up and down on the tube, looks like it's tipped downward, by a lot!

I understand the shavings between the main wedge and the 4 way post, mine does that as well. I would expect it to move a little when you were hiding it, but what I'm referring to is when you are near the top of the stroke.

Also, go to 11:40 in your video. You can see how much that angle changes from when you do from near top stroke to hidden. That wedge shouldn't move that much. The 4 way should be parallel with the main slide plate. Maybe post a picture close up, on the side, capturing how the wedge it attached to the cylinder. Something isn't right there. Just saying and trying to prevent something from happening that could cost you in the long run.

The tube that the four way rides on is dented a little in the front allowing for the extra play. I bought this unit used so I guess I will have to live with it. The guy that had it before me, must have bent it somehow. If it gets too bad I'll have to cut that rectangular tube off and weld a new one on.

I agree, look at the 5:28 mark. It look like the 4 way is going to break.

I have found with splitters with a 4 way, just because you have the 4 way, you don't have to use it. Also very large rounds like you have are easier to break into 4 chunks before putting on the splitter. It will be faster.

That was painful to watch… What I saw was a LOT of extra work going on, getting that round split!

Then finally, stacking it in the bucket? To what? Stack it again some place else?? There's no way I'd go through all that motion...

SR

OK thanks guys for the observations and insight. I think I can get a piece of steel welded across the front of the post where the four way slides to minimize the gap and keep it from moving as much. Big rounds are a lot of work to split. I stack in the bucket when the firewood is going into the dump trailer directly to a customer.

Latest posts

Back