Tool to raise logs off ground for sawing! (log jack)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Northern Tool one with the fiberglass handle. I thought I should have broken it long ago, but it is now about 4 years old. I don't lift anything too big, they get rolled and then cut the rest of the way. For rolling logs it works just fine and I think I have overtaxed it many times. The only thing that happened is the wedge bent slightly when I didn't have it engaged right and the foam handle cover needs to be glued on. Maybe they have changed or I have a different model than the others. I really hate when I pick it up wrong and the hook slams my fingers! (Big Dummy!) A simple stop would take care of that, but I always forget till it happens again!

I bought this one:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200640336_200640336
It works and is very good at breaking logs loose from frozen ground. We have a lot of that these days. Just don't try to cut the steel components in half with a chain saw.

I had to make a few adjustments with the bolts and add some oil to the pivot, a piece of cake. That was about it. It's built like a tank.

Here is an Australian design that looks good, and should handle weight....

Warialda Engineering :: Home of the Davis Starlifter

Don't own one and haven't used one (yet).

I bought a log peavy from Sneddens, got the 1.7mt one, and its well built out of great material, no chinese plastic steel on this.
They also make a log lifter too.
Log lifter https://ruralfencing.com/products/log-roller-lifter-firewood

Highly recommend their products, worth having a look at what they make.
T

I should have looked here first, just started a new thread regarding this tool.
Sorry

The "inexpensive" ones I've found don't look as if they'll take much abuse.

The more rugged the design and the price goes way up.

Alternatively I designed and built my own.
View attachment 698742 View attachment 698743

Want to explain this a bit looks like some of the pieces slide for bigger and smaller stuff, looks like everything could be sourced from a scrap bin just normal pipe and angle correct or?

Want to explain this a bit looks like some of the pieces slide for bigger and smaller stuff, looks like everything could be sourced from a scrap bin just normal pipe and angle correct or?

You my friend have a VERY keen eye!

I designed my Log Lifter so it could be disassembled for easy storage and transport. I also added some adjustability to the hook location and even added holes in case I wanted to fix its location.

Every piece you see was "rescued" from the metal scrap bin.

The handle is 1" pipe. The leg supports are made using I believe 1 1/2 pipe, the hook is 3/4 rebar. I designed it using Solidworks and can post the drawings in PDF format if anyone would like them..

You my friend have a VERY keen eye!

I designed my Log Lifter so it could be disassembled for easy storage and transport. I also added some adjustability to the hook location and even added holes in case I wanted to fix its location.

Every piece you see was "rescued" from the metal scrap bin.

The handle is 1" pipe. The leg supports are made using I believe 1 1/2 pipe, the hook is 3/4 rebar. I designed it using Solidworks and can post the drawings in PDF format if anyone would like them..

I would be interested in that. Also interested in the fasteners you used, both sides Allen key roll pin kinda or? Almost looks like you could use some PTO style pins maybe instead of those?

I would be interested in that. Also interested in the fasteners you used, both sides Allen key roll pin kinda or? Almost looks like you could use some PTO style pins maybe instead of those?

My first choice was those pins but had access to stainless steel hardware. All the bolts are 3/8-16 x 2 1/2 long Allen Socket Head Cap Screws. I'll get the files uploaded Monday, they're on my work computer.

Huskyuser, that looks Nice, is there any reason that you can see after using it, that PTO style pins wouldn't work?

That would break down for storing and transporting very quickly with PTO pins.

That looks very well engineered

Doug :cheers:

Huskyuser, that looks Nice, is there any reason that you can see after using it, that PTO style pins wouldn't work?

That would break down for storing and transporting very quickly with PTO pins.

That looks very well engineered

Doug :cheers:

I think the PTO pins will work nicely for that very reason. The next time I'm down to the Tractor Supply I'll pick some up..

Attachments

• IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 9

I created a PDF file of the lifter fully assembled. This will give you a decent idea of sizes, lengths, and general construction.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Log Lifter.PDF
    94.6 KB · Views: 10
Back