Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a cancellation today, so got to play with the 462 some more, just love it with a 20" bar.

Cut up some of the Black Walnut (pictured), and some Black Cherry (not pictured).

A neighbor with a the Black Cherry actually called to me when I was out there cutting up the Black Walnut.

Said if I cut it up, I could leave it there and get it in the Spring … Done!
Boy do I hate cleaning the small limbs up from a tree like that. PITA

I've sold a good amount of black walnut as firewood (limb wood, not highly valuable trunk wood ;)). It has a BTU rating close to white ash, and well above green ash & hackleberry of which people are very accepting, yet I've fielded comments similar to yours on black walnut. I kind of chalked it up to it doesn't stack tightly in storage (less pounds per cubic foot in the rack), or in the stove and has very thick (non btu laden) bark, characteristics which would mean shorter burn times. Does it really not produce heat? Have never burned it myself.
I've been told it has a beautiful greenish flame by fireplace users buring for ambiance rather than for heat. Maybe that's a better use.
We burned a a good bit in last years wood only thing I had an issue with is it produces a lot of ash. Didn't notice any lack of heat but it was mostly day time wood.

Time to get some old iron or a compact. Skids pull well on snow. Be interesting to see if ya could pull and equal weight on runners. Bet it would surprise a few. Its amazing the huge saw logs my great gramps pulled with 2 horse team.
The hills are steep. We will have to improve on the old logging trails that are there to pull anything out.

Similar to black cherry. I have some walnut but to me it stinks when burning.

Is black cherry the same as what i call “wild cherry we have here in Michigan?

Wild cherry burns GREAT. Very good burn time and holds coals a long long time.

Smells amazing too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is black cherry the same as what i call “wild cherry we have here in Michigan?

Wild cherry burns GREAT. Very good burn time and holds coals a long long time.

Smells amazing too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty much the same . Black cherry fruit trees have a little bit different bark but still burns and smells good .

My buddy had this in his shed for 2 yrs - has some kinda fungus that bothers his family when they burn it inside - so iI grabbed it and will burn it in the out door burner ! Score ! Its in my 14x7 dump - I figure just a bit over a cord View attachment 701640

Win for you !
As far as I know , fire kills fungus ...

Another big sky day here so ,,,,

BUMhDOC.jpg

I had to catch up with Pioneerguy600
I found him
XpL3GKz.jpg

Today we cut some dead standing and dead top stuff close to the road
sqT2WD9.jpg
jdBp2zH.jpg
CXeqAxj.jpg

We even did our part to feed deer and rabbits :)
MfQTHFK.jpg

We both had a go at being Donk
FFssOnp.jpg
1t6zsJF.jpg

4ZhGVTH.jpg

0mVfZUK.jpg
wB8dMCR.jpg

MBPSxgR.jpg

The pile continues to grow , it was a great afternoon :)

Can you drive your truck in most trails? Seems solid and it doesn’t seem graded/plowed before?

I can get through the main road and the old logging road real good base on the main but I'll not take the old logging road when the frost comes out .
It would only get plowed if we had a lot of snow and the owner needed to get to his pit .

We did find a nice birch blowdown

QjOpdYF.jpg

kCx29fe.jpg
p0u48Nv.jpg

Still alive so I cut it flush and scored the bark with a couple of passes then put a couple of fir stems under it to keep it off the ground .
The 2 Donks had a safety meeting and said it was above their pay scale , so we'll go back with a tractor to retrieve that one ;)

Getting into dryer wood now......
Glad you guys brought that up. I'm out of "dry" wood in the shed. The rest of the stuff I have is outside exposed to all the elements and has only been there since spring. Cherry, hackberry, oak and some ash. Supposed to rain here most of the week. Do any of you pull wood strait off the stack outside thats only been out a year and burn it? I put stuff next to the stove to warm up and dry out but I dont think I can dry wood fast enough like that. Should I just give up and turn the furnace on?

Glad you guys brought that up. I'm out of "dry" wood in the shed. The rest of the stuff I have is outside exposed to all the elements and has only been there since spring. Cherry, hackberry, oak and some ash. Supposed to rain here most of the week. Do any of you pull wood strait off the stack outside thats only been out a year and burn it? I put stuff next to the stove to warm up and dry out but I dont think I can dry wood fast enough like that. Should I just give up and turn the furnace on?
Hackberry and Ash season pretty fast, especially if the tree was dead standing. Cherry and Oak on the other hand, will take a bit longer.

I've got oak on next years rack that's only been split/stacked for a year or a little less I wouldn't hesitate to burn it. We did it for years and never had a problem. I don't have a wood shed my wood sit on racks out in the elements all the time. 20181218_153107.jpg

If wood is stacked early (like may) in full sun and wind, then put under cover in the fall, it should be good. Some wood likes longer to dry. If you whack two splits together and it "rings" like a couple baseball bats knocked together, the wood is dry. If it makes more of a dull thud, it's not. Ash will dry about the fastest of all the woods around here. If you can stage wood near the stove, it will speed up the process. It doesn't need to be super close, just near by. The stove will suck the moisture out of it. Since your stove is in the basement, I would be stacking whatever I could inside.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Hackberry and Ash season pretty fast, especially if the tree was dead standing. Cherry and Oak on the other hand, will take a bit longer.
All the ash I have ever had was dead standing. The oak, cherry and hackberry were not. I didnt cut it down. It was construction site trees cut before I got to it but it was cut/stacked/done by may.

Latest posts

Back