028 super bar length question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian.cathers

Reaction score
First, thank you all for all of the useful info I’ve gotten from this site.

So, I need to buck up a pine tree that is 44” at the base. I have an 028 AV Super with a 20” bar that runs very strong. I’ve bucked 18” oak without any bogging. I know from this site that 16 or 18” bar is about ideal for this saw. My question is: would is work to run a 24” bar, just to buck the big tree up? Possibly a skip chain, to have less teeth in the wood. Obviously, I’d keep it sharp and not force it. Only considering it because pine is so soft.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice would be great. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

If you already have the 24" bar and a suitable chain I'd say mount it up and try and buck up the log. I cut mostly pine and for sure it's easy to cut.

Me personally though I wouldn't spend money on a big bar and chain for a saw that possibly won't run it.

A log that size to me is 70cc plus territory.

But if you are a one saw plan kinda guy (believe me I've been there) then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I don’t already own the bar/chain. I’d really hate to spend the money and be up a creek as I’ll only have a day or two to get them out of a friends yard after they get felled. I’ll have to get a friend in on this with a bigger saw... or find one myself...

If you do decide to get the bar you may want to go with a skip chain and switch the sprocket to a larger sprocket. The chain oiler is the same on an 028 and 038 so that shouldn’t be an issue. If you do this it will take forever to make a cut and I’m afraid you’ll run the risk of welding the piston to the cylinder. Kind of like the guys who run their saws for a mill a lot, they take some abuse with constant screaming.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I don’t already own the bar/chain. I’d really hate to spend the money and be up a creek as I’ll only have a day or two to get them out of a friends yard after they get felled. I’ll have to get a friend in on this with a bigger saw... or find one myself...

Your best bet may be to find a blown up 70cc plus saw and rebuild it. It doesnt have to be a huge investment to get into bigger saws then the normal 50cc types.

Once you get a big saw you'll never go back. At least that's how it was for me.

If you arent interested in building a saw watch local adds for one used. I bought my 038 magnum used locally, it's my "big saw". It wasnt any more expensive then a used 50cc saw and it will do at least 2x the work in the same time.

If you do decide to get the bar you may want to go with a skip chain and switch the sprocket to a larger sprocket. The chain oiler is the same on an 028 and 038 so that shouldn’t be an issue. If you do this it will take forever to make a cut and I’m afraid you’ll run the risk of welding the piston to the cylinder. Kind of like the guys who run their saws for a mill a lot, they take some abuse with constant screaming.
You mean smaller sprocket don’t you?

I also felt 20" was more than my super could handle in hardwoods. I ran a 16 on mine and it was a great little saw. I would worry that it wouldn't oil well enough for a 24.

The 028 super is a nice saw. I would hesitate to toast it on your project. Could you try a friend with bigger saw or rent one for a day. A 60cc with 24" bar would be better.

It'll do it slowly of course
That's what I'd do if you didn't need
A larger saw in the future.
Best to have a couple saws around of course.

Just buck up your lone 44" at the stump pine tree with your 20" bar, which by the way is very easily done.

Or borrow a bigger saw from a friend.

Don't put a 24" bar on that saw, unless you want to waste money, and be extremely disappointed.

I considered noodling it so I can block it up that way, but that would take all day and I don’t really want to put that much wear on my saw, already pulling a 20”. I’ll just get someone over here with a bigger saw, unless I find a good deal on one before then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back