Saddle Comfort Problems for a Fat Guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgb84

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been working my way into climbing more, and I'm having some issues with comfort in my saddle. I bought a New Tribe Tengu, and I can't seem to get it adjusted right. Regardless of where I wear it, when I hang in my saddle, I tend to lean way back away from the rope and struggle to stay vertical. It's like doing a crunch the entire time im hanging and my abs get sore. I'm about 5'6 225 right now and was wondering if its the saddle, the adjustment of the saddle, or if its just because i'm top heavy due to excessive biscuit and beer consumption. I sent New Tribe a contact request asking for help with adjustment or any ideas they may have, but I haven't heard back from them.

Any ideas other than get skeeeny?

Thanks,

Dustin

My upper body is heavier than my lower half so I struggle with this too. Different saddles will position you differently. Bridge length will affect it. I done a Liger conversion on a Cougar and completely changed it into a great saddle. Having 3 different position holes to attach the rope bridge helped. Spend some time just hanging in it and see how it reacts to different body positions. For some reason if I hang in my saddle with my legs crossed I seem to stay upright easier than if they're uncrossed.

Most saddles I've had have, you can adjust the bridge/tie in point. You want to make the bridge closer to the waist and further from the leg straps to make you lean forward more.

I had this problem when I first started wearing saddles as I had the waist band too low on my back. Out of pure ignorance I was waring the waist band around where my jeans would ride. Adjusting the saddle so that he waist strap was higher on my lower back made them much more comfortable to sit in.

I'm about the same weight as you, but I'm 5'11", and my upper body seems heavier than my lower as well, so it's easy for me to experience the same issue of leaning back.

What type of bridge attachment does that saddle have? If it has dog paws move your bridge to the top hole if you haven't already. It may just not be the saddle for you. My recommendation would be try on a Ergovation with a seat.

What type of bridge attachment does that saddle have? If it has dog paws move your bridge to the top hole if you haven't already. It may just not be the saddle for you. My recommendation would be try on a Ergovation with a seat.

Here is what the bridge looks like on my saddle.

Attachments

• 42D86F1F-636F-43E1-8137-EF3575EB5DFE.png
    42D86F1F-636F-43E1-8137-EF3575EB5DFE.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Back