further reduce air flow wood stove insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md1486

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do someone know how to further reduce air flow from a wood stove insert ? This is a BIS Ultima. Even with air flow all close he burn too fast for my liking. I changed door gasket, he’s air tight. No ashes pan.
My air inflow is coming from an outside trap, as you can see in the picture. Maybe I can restrict air flow directly from the outside ? If not, how could I modify this mechanism ? Left to right reduce air flow, an I can pull to have an "air boost" for startup. Thanks,
BE90C03C-D7A0-4D94-B90D-475FA589262D.jpeg F299CFED-70DC-4413-B59B-D395CF01EB97.jpeg

Is it overfiring on temperature or are you looking for an old school smothered burn? Newer efficient stoves do need to run harder to keep secondaries/cats burning the off gasses.

I am not familar with that one, but my PE Spectrum would overfire on a reload almost every time until I modified the stop - bent the piece of metal to allow the damper to close further. By overfiring I mean it would have flue gas at 18" up over 1200°F every time. Even if I started slow on a 3/4 load of oak on coals it would work its way up too hot eventually. Works great now. The newer stoves want to allow good airflow to allow clean burns and that is good unless your draft over powers it. I have a 30 ft tall class A chimney inside the house and that sure does pull draft.

I can't recommend choking the inlet air - how would you start and control the burn?

Is it overfiring on temperature or are you looking for an old school smothered burn?

I dont know flue temp but my stove top can get as hot as 900F. I get the big rolling secondary burn. But IMO it would be more efficient if I can get a slower burn.

I have a 30 ft tall class A chimney inside the house and that sure does pull draft.

Mine is 30+ fts too. Draft is pretty strong.

I can't recommend choking the inlet air - how would you start and control the burn?

I would only choke like half of the air inlet, it would be harder to start though.

As you can see of my air control, is it the metal "handle" that you would bend ?
My only option that I thought was to grind the "slot" on the right side to allow the "handle" to close further. But I really dont know if that could work

No I bent the tab that stops the handle. Can’t tell on yours but yes grinding a slot to move the lever over further is essentially what I did to mine.

Back