Chainsaw starting question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarone1991

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So whenever I start my Remington Outlaw (46 cc, 20" bar) chainsaw for the first time that day the chain spins super fast, like full speed and continues to run at full speed until I press the throttle.

I tried to use the chain brake for this simply because I didn't like it spinning so fast. However, this made the chainsaw smoke and overheat so I stopped.

Why does the saw race like this right after starting?

When you choke the saw to start, even when you shut the choke off the throttle is locked wide open, the chain is going to spin. AS SOON AS THE SAW STARTS, hit the throttle to drop it to idle speed. You can’t leave it running at wide open with the brake on or you will burn up the the clutch and clutch drum plus a good chance of scattering the engine.

When you choke the saw to start, even when you shut the choke off the throttle is locked wide open, the chain is going to spin. AS SOON AS THE SAW STARTS, hit the throttle to drop it to idle speed. You can’t leave it running at wide open with the brake on or you will burn up the the clutch and clutch drum plus a good chance of scattering the engine.

Ok will do from now on thank you.

That's the same basic saw as the Chinese ones I mess with.
Don't push the choke lever in to turn the choke off after it pops cold starting it hit the gas instead, this gets it off the fast idle, it will still ide fast for a little bit but not as fast.

Back