Can a hydraulic splitter be to fast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shape of the res is as or more important than capacity. You have to have surface area to dissapate heat. I can build over 150 deg of heat in any of my truck hydraulic systems thay I build. 20GPM over a 2000psi restriction will go from 70deg to 150deg in about 30 minutes with 60 gallons of oil. If I crank it up to 70gpm I can do it in 10 min .There are ALOT of variables in a hydraulic system. Also I ran my engine at about 2500rpm on my splitter. It was way nicer to stand next to a twin cylinder liquid cooled engine at 2500 than next to a air cooled at 3600 rpm. You could actually talk to each other. Just food for thought. CJ

Steel lines help with heat. Dissipate it better than rubber hoses, also steel has lower flow friction.

Mr. HE:cool:

My TW-5 has a cycle time of 6 seconds and there are lots of times it isn't fast enough...

I'm not going to post all the specs of it, they're on Timberwolf's website if you want to see them; after running for an hour or so I see a fluid temperature in the tank of 140-165 depending on the air temperature.

Splitter speed

For speed I have a friend that was not happy with 10 second return so he bought a DR now he is real unhappy on his left hand he only has 2 fingers. But he got the speed he wanted. Takes a lot to make some people happy. I cranked my tractor up to 540 on my princes pump and found out quick one wrong move could cost. I split on ideal now 12 second is fast enough for me but I'm not in a race. Later

I was playing around on a log splitter speed calculator I found online. I filled in all the fields with different size cylinders and pumps just to get some ideas. One of the calculations was a 3 1/2 inch cylinder with a 20 inch stroke and paired with a 22 gpm pump.The cycle time was 4 seconds. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I started thinking. Is such a thing even possible or would the internals of the cylinder self distrucked under that kind of speed. I don't know anything about hydraulics. but I figured you guys could answer my question. Thanks.

an air cylinder...maybe....i didn't know oil could move that fast.

an air cylinder...maybe....i didn't know oil could move that fast.

I've watched a hydraulic press, powered by three 1200hp electic motors, that stamped out metal parts at a rate of sixteen pieces a minute. This was at three operations per part too. Hydraulics can move scary fast, only limit is heat, deal with the heat and you're good to go. Also seen balers run that used hydraulics instead of a flywheel and connecting rod to power the ram.

Mr. HE:cool:

Biggest limitation on our splitters is the 1/2" ports on the rams and 1/2" work ports on the supplied valves. If the hoses, cylinder and valve work ports were 3/4" That would equal more flow and an increase in speed due to faster fluid transfer. Our 4-6" cylinders with 1.5"-2" rams take quite a bit to fill up. Pump out put weather a 3/4" or 1/2" would still be the same x gpm as that is how they are made. My skidsteer is a lot faster acting than my splitter but the cylinders are about 1/2 the diameter with same 11gpm pump output and 1/2" lines. Course the SS is a single stage pump and the splitter is 2 stage ( 3-4 gpm in 2nd ) But in this discussion for simplicity I am only looking at the 1 stage.

Biggest limitation on our splitters is the 1/2" ports on the rams and 1/2" work ports on the supplied valves.

So why is that? Is it only to meet a price target? My 4x30 cyl has SAE #10 ports and the 5x24 I bought has SAE #8. Should be able to chose a cylinder with the size port wanted without having to go custom.

Brian

Biggest limitation on our splitters is the 1/2" ports on the rams and 1/2" work ports on the supplied valves. If the hoses, cylinder and valve work ports were 3/4" That would equal more flow and an increase in speed due to faster fluid transfer. Our 4-6" cylinders with 1.5"-2" rams take quite a bit to fill up. Pump out put weather a 3/4" or 1/2" would still be the same x gpm as that is how they are made. My skidsteer is a lot faster acting than my splitter but the cylinders are about 1/2 the diameter with same 11gpm pump output and 1/2" lines. Course the SS is a single stage pump and the splitter is 2 stage ( 3-4 gpm in 2nd ) But in this discussion for simplicity I am only looking at the 1 stage.

Actually there are 3/4" valve available for splitters and my 5" bore cyls come standard with #12 SAE porting. If the 2 stage pump does not shift into h/p mode the speed will be the same with 10psi of back pressure or 300psi. but with pressure drop you get heat. The biggest limitation on a splitter is horsepower. 1/2" pipe thread will flow about the same as a 3/4" hose. Just food for thought. CJ

What about adding an air reservoir, with fluid at the bottom. To give the piston a no load, high speed. Like a water pump with air tank has?
Big valves, low power, high speed, for all those times, that were just waiting on a slow cylinder?
N

I already have a fast splitter that can do a cycle under six seconds. I have some spacers that can limit the return stroke to fit the exact proper size of rounds. That being said I want yet faster. The thing that concerns me is how can it be made safe so nobody gets their hands in the way? I am going to try to reactivate the multi wing splitting wedge setup. Maybe by tuning this system nobody will need to have their hands in the way. Thanks

My processor is about 4.5 secs and I find it to be borderline slow. It certainly sounds faster than it really seems. PLENTY of time to get body parts out of the way. 2-3 seconds would be better.

What about adding an air reservoir, with fluid at the bottom. To give the piston a no load, high speed. Like a water pump with air tank has?
Big valves, low power, high speed, for all those times, that were just waiting on a slow cylinder?
N
Its called a accumulator and they do use them in hydraulics. The accumulator provides a quick but limited amount of flow. I have worked around equipment with accumulator and I hate them because of their unpredictability. A little glitch in the system and you have enough stored energy to kill somone.

My processor is about 4.5 secs and I find it to be borderline slow. It certainly sounds faster than it really seems. PLENTY of time to get body parts out of the way. 2-3 seconds would be better.
Things are different using a processor and throwing rounds on a splitting beam by hand. I doubt I can turn and pick up another round in 4 or 5 sec. And I know I cant do it all day long or even for a few hours. Steady wins the race says the turtle to the hare.

Things are different using a processor and throwing rounds on a splitting beam by hand. I doubt I can turn and pick up another round in 4 or 5 sec. And I know I cant do it all day long or even for a few hours. Steady wins the race says the turtle to the hare.

I use it as a splitter sometimes as well. Logs that are too big to fit through it we cut by hand, split into chunks with a regular splitter than put through the processor. I can certainly work faster than it can split.

I use it as a splitter sometimes as well. Logs that are too big to fit through it we cut by hand, split into chunks with a regular splitter than put through the processor. I can certainly work faster than it can split.
I am usually a one man show, doing all the bucking, loading and splitting. No we in me, myself and I. I dont stage my rounds per se, I will push them into a big pile I can just pull the splitter up to. Could I load a round every 5 sec, probably, for a little while and then I am going to take a break. During that break, I lose any time saved trying to throw a round every 5 seconds. I can go for several hours with 12sec cycle time before needing a break and I can make a persons tounge hangout if I am operating the lever and they are throwing rounds. I personally cant see the point in makeing my splitter cycle at 5sec. I dont run at WOT now, what would I do with a fast splitter.

I am usually a one man show, doing all the bucking, loading and splitting. No we in me, myself and I. I dont stage my rounds per se, I will push them into a big pile I can just pull the splitter up to. Could I load a round every 5 sec, probably, for a little while and then I am going to take a break. During that break, I lose any time saved trying to throw a round every 5 seconds. I can go for several hours with 12sec cycle time before needing a break and I can make a persons tounge hangout if I am operating the lever and they are throwing rounds. I personally cant see the point in makeing my splitter cycle at 5sec. I dont run at WOT now, what would I do with a fast splitter.
Automatic batch processing of those rounds you just cut. Load a magazine, set the splitter to auto, then go back and cut more rounds and load the next magazine while the splitter chews through the rounds in the first magazine. One person, not running around like a headless chicken, yet more productive than they have ever been. Not only that but the splitter is safer as you never get your hands anywhere near the machine. This splitter is coming soon. Actually, such types are already available but much too expensive. The ones I'm talking about will run at about USD12k.

Back