Using toctite 660 to tighten up bearing seat tolerance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
Went to reassemble a 372 and discovered the pto side bearing could slide right in. Did a little reading and some people recommended using loctite 660 to tighten up the tolerance. Will a fix like this hold up? I’m concerned it’s a bandaid fix not a true solution.

Went to reassemble a 372 and discovered the pto side bearing could slide right in. Did a little reading and some people recommended using toctite 660 to tighten up the tolerance. Will a fix like this hold up? I’m concerned it’s a bandaid fix not a true solution.
As opposed to replacing the crankcase?
Why not try it???

I used loctite 680 (not sure what the difference is) on a motorcycle primary bearing which seemed a bit small. It worked well. I also used it on two loose bar studs on my 288 , it worked great as well. I did let it set up a few days before using it though. It still was wet after 24 hours

I used loctite 680 (not sure what the difference is) on a motorcycle primary bearing which seemed a bit small. It worked well. I also used it on two loose bar studs on my 288 , it worked great as well. I did let it set up a few days before using it though. It still was wet after 24 hours

the products I have seen for this are anaerobic, which means that anything outside the area of interest remains wet and is easy to wipe off. The part not exposed to oxygen will setup in a couple of hours for the product I used anyway. Of course I waited overnight.

The wonders of chemistry...

As a matter or routine practice I take a chisel and shot peen the surface. Some times I use loctite with the installation. I also freeze the bearing and or crank when installing while the case is warm or hot. All most always they are tight when removing. As many have said what have you got to loose. Thanks

I have done this repair on a 034 and a 046 about seven years ago, both saws still run today. I know the 046 has about 30 tanks of fuel through it, the 034 many more than that.
I e had an 044/046 hybrid that’s ported......no problems 6 years later. Used 630 on this one.

Latest posts

Back