Need help with a Vermeer 630A

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olddude

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just came across this machine and now that I have it home I'm wondering if it is worth messing with. It's been sitting for a long time and at some time in the past the owner at the time must have had some major engine trouble and removed it from the machine. I looked long and hard through the underbrush and rubble but could not find the remains of the engine.

I think I can come up with a used engine but have no idea of what else is missing. I know there is some sort of pulley system and probably a bunch of other parts that attach to engine drive. The pulleys that attach to the cutter are there along with the drive belt but none of the engine end parts are there.

I've gone over the rest of the machine and have freed up all the movable parts that were frozen and also got all the grease fittings to where they will take grease. It needs a good cleaning and some paint of-course which is normal for a old machine that has been sitting a long time but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. I saw a replacement engine advertised on the net that had a little over a $3500 price tag on it and that didn't have the connecting parts that will also need to be found. A new engine is out of the question for a machine that old, not knowing what else may be wrong. As I said before I think I can come up with a good used engine and was wondering if any one out there might know what the engine drive pulley setup would cost.

Thanks.... That's what I had in the back of my mind. The Vermeer people around here were not much help but wanted to sell me a latest and the greatest new model. I found a parts diagram on the net and it shows the parts I need but didn't list any prices. I guess I'll call them back with the part numbers and see if they will price them out. I've also been thinking of a way to convert the cutter over to a hydraulic driven setup and do away with the belts all together.

The 630A is a poor excuse for a stump grinder.

I had one in the late 1980's for a few years and it is a very slow machine.

I replaced it with a Rayco 1665 which had twice the power and ground stumps six times as fast.

I’ll be honest with you. Your throwing good money after bad. I’ve seen 630B’s go for 3500, in running condition. I owned one for the better part of a decade, the Wisconsin is a crude, outdated very expensive to work on motor. If your thinking of converting it to hydraulic drive, that puny gear pump that is on the machine is nowhere near up to the task. Your fab time, machine work, pump & motor costs would be insanely high. Save your money, look around. Don’t mean to be a downer, just trying to keep you from making a very bad mistake

Thanks....I knew when I got this machine it would take some work to get it to where it would be usable. I didn't know how much until the guy dropped it off at the house. It was headed to the scrap yard before I rescued it. I have a bunch of hydraulics that I could use to make it work but like you I just don't think it would be worth the effort. Oh well I got my moneys worth out of the hydraulic parts that are on the machine the rest, I guess will end up at the scrap yard.

I just came across this machine and now that I have it home I'm wondering if it is worth messing with. It's been sitting for a long time and at some time in the past the owner at the time must have had some major engine trouble and removed it from the machine. I looked long and hard through the underbrush and rubble but could not find the remains of the engine.

I think I can come up with a used engine but have no idea of what else is missing. I know there is some sort of pulley system and probably a bunch of other parts that attach to engine drive. The pulleys that attach to the cutter are there along with the drive belt but none of the engine end parts are there.

I've gone over the rest of the machine and have freed up all the movable parts that were frozen and also got all the grease fittings to where they will take grease. It needs a good cleaning and some paint of-course which is normal for a old machine that has been sitting a long time but I'm wondering if it's worth the effort. I saw a replacement engine advertised on the net that had a little over a $3500 price tag on it and that didn't have the connecting parts that will also need to be found. A new engine is out of the question for a machine that old, not knowing what else may be wrong. As I said before I think I can come up with a good used engine and was wondering if any one out there might know what the engine drive pulley setup would cost.
I bought a 630A almost 30 years ago. It's still grinding strong. I did replace the motor with a Kohler OHV 22hp about 15 years ago. Recently my up & down hydraulic cylinder began to leak. While waiting for the part to be shipped ($174 including shipping) I rented a new Vermeer stump grinder. To be honest my 630A with bear claw grinder teeth would out grind the new one 10 to 1. Word to the young buck tree guys from an old school tree guy, new fangled machines can't hold a stick to old school battle hardened machines

Back