Passing on knowledge ( ethanol free gas )

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marks Repair

marks repair
Reaction score
I thought i would pass along something i learned a few years back. How to remove ethanol from gas. Its a very simple thing to do. We all know that alcohol is hydroscopic . Go to the gas station , put 4 gallons of your favorite gas in a 5 gallon can, take it home and put a half a gallon of water in it. shake it up and let it sit overnight. the water will absorb the alcohol and settle to the bottom. you will have alcohol free gas on top. Here is a short video i found on youtube.

We finally have a gas station that sells E-Free gasoline. It's been open about 9 or so months now. Last time I fueled up my m/c, it was like $3.08 a gallon.

I've been using canned fuel and will continue to do so until my supply is used up. I will then go back to mixing my own.

How much octane do you lose in the process of adding water to the E-10 gasoline? Since water is removing Ethanol from the fuel, it is also reducing the octane rating of the fuel since Ethanol is used as an octane booster. Happily, I have a gas station near my home that sells Ethanol free 89 octane Rec Fuel. Adding water to fuel sounds like a disposal nightmare.

How much octane do you lose in the process of adding water to the E-10 gasoline? Since water is removing Ethanol from the fuel, it is also reducing the octane rating of the fuel since Ethanol is used as an octane booster. Happily, I have a gas station near my home that sells Ethanol free 89 octane Rec Fuel. Adding water to fuel sounds like a disposal nightmare.

I have never had any problem with alcohol in fuel keeps moisture out which is good. Alcohol is there to raise the octane level. Pay attention to your fuel mixture and you will make many cuts. Thanks

Mix in Stabil Marine every time I fill the gas tank. Regular stabil isn't enough. prior to marine, carb cleanouts were weekly. Since? No cleanouts for the past 5+ years

One thing that has not been addressed concerning alcohol mixed with petroleum based fuels is the ratio that ends up in the engine. With two stroke motors the ratio will change with oil ratio. If you have two premixed containers of fuel one 100 percent gasoline and one 90 % gasoline with 10 % alcohol the two will not run the same. The alcohol mix will need more jetting or the carburetor adjusted more rich than straight gasoline. In a methanol set up motor it is not uncommon for the jetting or the opening for fuel in the carburetor to be 300% larger than that of gasoline. Alcohol also burns at a much lower temperature than gasoline. So when conditions are right and the saw is running just right using straight gasoline then switch over to a alcohol blend of fuel the conditions are also just right for a engine failure. So adjustment is always important. Ethanol is by rule of thumb 110 octane so leaving it out without lead could cause problems also. Thanks

Back