Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm ... the wonder pile Poulan decided to act up in the bush a coupla days ago, idle dropped off a few times, surged under throttle so I adjusted this way, that way ... then quit!!!

Ffrrrk... nothing I thought could be ever this simple, coil is leaking high current!!

I just happen to try to adjust it after supper and I can see sparks coming from the coil to the fly wheel .... couldn’t get the Itard to capture it on video.

hmmm wonder how tuff these main bearings are...??

Keep on... Runnin’ Loads !!

I’m heading out for a load this Sunday hope to fill truck and trailer. I used to haul with a F150 and a trailer full and a little in the bed was all I wanted to haul got the 7.3 dualy and I believe I need some side boards an trailer now.
Shawn
I'm new on here, but ran across your post and kinda chuckled... seeings how I was forced to take my lil f150 and my little trailer ( mind you my lil truck is a v6 and normally never hauls more than a 50 gal spray rig.) Instead of my faithful 7.3 long bed that I run my lawn service out of. It and my 16 ft trailer never fail to surprise me with the ease of big loads I can haul.
Unfortunately with a 7.3, there are days did they would just leave you totally EFFED, and yesterday was one of those days. Truck started fine then suddenly died, and would not restart. I bought a new CPS and I'm fixing to go out and change it now. Hopefully that's what the problem was. Nonetheless yesterday I agreed to pick up the remainder of ash tree for one of my customers. So me and the little V-6 and my little bitty trailer went after a load.. in the sleet/rain and let me just say it scared the hell out of me.. felt like I was riding a wheelie, and I was running down the hwy at 45-50 mph because the trailer kept trying to fish tail on me. I made it thankfully.
Welcome to to the 7.3 world... the best, most frustrating club in the world.

Btw... I'm glad to have found this forum via the lawnsite forum I'm a member of. I'm in Oklahoma and generally slow November- Feburary and recently decided to try selling some firewood just from fallen timber on the 10 acres we bought last year. Needless to say it's a hot seller here and is generally sold within an hr of posting online. I thought next year it would be a great opportunity to keep my guys working a bit through the winter and make a little $ . I have mostly oak and other hardwood trees so I guess now I can ad axe-man to my list lol. Thanks for having me guys!20190220_092625.jpg 20190220_092745.jpg

Ahhh 7.3 DI ... I grew up with 6.9 and 7.3 IDI’s but do lots of full electronic diesel stuff.

Scan it and see whats upcause it can all sorts of things and just throwing parts at it gets frustrating and expensive... then see post #1 for Ford use guide...

Keep on ... Runnin’ Loads !!

966CD38A-9C12-4810-8FE6-A3F1259C8867.jpeg
Moved my first load of wood with the new pickup. It is t much of a load. I ran out of wood at the house so I brought some home from the wood yard at the shop I’ll try to take a picture the next time I move something that’s worth wild

I’ve had my 2002 f350 dually last April and the day after I took it home I was under the hood changing up pipes cost $150 and 14 hours of my life also got me $2300 off asking price.
I can’t believe how much difference between 7.3 and 5.4 when it comes to moving heavy loads I can only imagine what the newer diesels are like. I did get lucky and found a ZF6 manual transmission. I love it and my wife hates it. It’s to long to wide to noisy rides to rough and stinky everything a truck should be.
Shawn

I’ve had my 2002 f350 dually last April and the day after I took it home I was under the hood changing up pipes cost $150 and 14 hours of my life also got me $2300 off asking price.
I can’t believe how much difference between 7.3 and 5.4 when it comes to moving heavy loads I can only imagine what the newer diesels are like. I did get lucky and found a ZF6 manual transmission. I love it and my wife hates it. It’s to long to wide to noisy rides to rough and stinky everything a truck should be.
Shawn
They new 6.7 Powerstroke is even more impressive that the the 2012 6.7 Powerstroke I had. I didn’t really think there would be much difference but it is noticeable

They new 6.7 Powerstroke is even more impressive that the the 2012 6.7 Powerstroke I had. I didn’t really think there would be much difference but it is noticeable
I would love to have a newer diesel but I think my old school engine is hard enough to wrench on without adding all that emissions and computer controls.
Shawn

I’m by no means a mechanic but lack of funding has been a motivator I have found that most problems have been solved by others in the 17 years that my truck has been alive and a little digging will find answers the fact that 7.3/444 has been in so many trucks/ busses that gives a lot of experienced mechanics out there.
Shawn

Yes, the newer truck and emissions systems .... never heard of her ... can you hum a few bars ... ??

I deleted my truck, a bought brand new 2008 F250 CC SB 4x4 6.4 at 10K and never looked back, no more DPF burn off, no CCV into the engine, no EGR crud being forced into the engine, way better mileage . It's a pulling truck more than anything and I treat it like a princess so sadly, no huge loads of wood have ever been i the box.

It is a huge difference between old mechanical NA diesels, I have 6.2 trucks also, and modern turbo's and inter cooled monsters. I can pull at 60 and some times higher very comfortably as power is not a problem. I have my high boost warning at 40 psi, high limit is 48, will pull a 8-9 % grade loaded in high gear by just rolling a lil harder into the peddle without getting past 11-1200 EGTs, the only down fall is the maintenance costs as they are close to the same as a small semi but I don't have the use restrictions.

IMG_2970.JPG

Post FRCC 2018

IMG_7654.JPG

Coupla hay burners had to go to the money burner ... umm I mean the vet ....

943077_10151737625408714_2057205275_n.jpg

Ya ... that's DOT and I having a ... discussion ... ha ha

Keep on .... Runnin' Loads !!

Back