Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had a pair of gloves that fit me well. I always have an inch of empty glove at the end of my pinky finger and it's kinda irritating.
hand.jpg

Almost 50 years of doing tree work and I don't wear gloves while running a saw. I never wore gloves at all climbing or splitting. When I retired my hands got soft and I started picking up splinters handling firewood, so I now were a pear of gloves with wrist straps when stacking. I did try the cheap cotton gloves with the rubber coating on one side of the fingers and did like them.

Almost 50 years of doing tree work and I don't wear gloves while running a saw. I never wore gloves at all climbing or splitting. When I retired my hands got soft and I started picking up splinters handling firewood, so I now were a pear of gloves with wrist straps when stacking. I did try the cheap cotton gloves with the rubber coating on one side of the fingers and did like them.

After fifty years of saw work I struggle to start a saw with gloves on. I will only tolerate gloves for maybe five minutes of saw work then take them off. I do like to have gloves for moving a lot of wood. Some deliveries I deliver and stack without any gloves. Even when it is raining and snowing some customers come to watch. When they do they will ask me if they should go find some gloves for me over and over. Thanks

There is no tree species that can possibly tear up gloves faster than hackberry. The deer know this. They use hackberry trees to remove velvet from their antlers and as a scratching post. When handling hackberry and ash, I sometimes use Boss neoprene gloves (completely waterproof) with a second soft internal glove for insulation when it's cold. It's a bit awkward and your hands can't breathe very well, but it works.
Ironwood (Hop Horn-beam) and Cherry are also both very rough barks, so good gloves are a necessity.

I wonder if a "Search" mechanism in this forum would be useful?

My Summer/Winter mix

View attachment 635611

Pretty much same that I wear. One of our supplies carries them for pretty cheap. I want to say it works out to $2-3 a pair.

I like the thin dipped ones for working on equipment. They last WAY better than nitrile gloves and are still thin enough that I can hold to small stuff even.
Lowes had a clearance sale on them last year for like $2 or 3 a dozen. I bought all they had, I think 12 or 15 packs, so I'm all set for a while!

When it's cold (like -20*) I either use a hand warmer or I have some thicker gloves. Also have an Arctic saw, just all depends how much hand cutting I'm doing to what I use.

Back