How do I set the points on an 041 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see the mark on the flywheel magnet body. And, the mark on the crank case. Not exactly top dead center , but I'm sure there is a significance.
At that point you have access to the screws that hold the ignition assembly, but can't see the points.

So, 14 to 16 thousandths ? How ?

Or, say 25 degrees or so. How ?

I adjust mine with a dwell meter and timing light once you have done a few goes fast. I just put a little finger nail polish on the flywheel to mark where about it should be. It does not seem to need to be exact, but close. A few thou does not seem to change performance. Thanks

Yes, I have the point setting cams. I called the Stihl tech line about 10 years back, when I worked for a dealer in Louisville, because I forgot which cam was for which saws, and the kid said "Huh"!!!!!!.
He put me on hold for a while, then his boss got on the line and said, "Tell the customer to buy a new saw!!!!"

Yeah, that's the flywheel that I have. That dotted line is supposed to line up with the scribed mark on the crank case. I think.
Anyhow, I ordered new points and condenser. Put a new piston in this saw. But, it won't accelerate even with different carbs. It will idle.

I don't work on points saws enough to have a clue.

One of the windows should be @ the point-open position, and you set the gap at .016.
I use the other window to pinch a clean strip of paper and pull, to clean the points.

Latest posts

Back