Stihl ms461 is the last non mtronic pro saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe they're replacing the 461 with the much more expensive 500i at $1,450. Most think the 462 is the upgrade of the 461, but it actually fits more as the upgrade to the 441 in displacement.
Many of the timber fallers who field tested the 462 reported back saying "I'll take three more 461's before they're gone."
I heard the 500i will be released for retail here on the west coast this summer... according to Madsens.

461 is just a great saw, gonna be hard to upgrade that saw. They are tough and built to last in my experience, maybe a tad heavy but that's being too picky

Tool less air filter cover would be nice. But I always have a scwrench with me so the CM style ones are not a big deal to me. With the older screw type covers like on a 460, when you remove the cover the air filter is no longer held against the carb and if you're careless gunk can get in the carb. With the CM style cover removed the air filter is still firmly on the carb, the spark plug is still in the head and the plug boot is still on. So you can dump all the gunk on the uncovered saw that you want and it'll still be good after you shake it out.

That’s all well and good, but why even open it up if you don’t have to? And then snake the cover back under the handlebar. The 441 has a toolless air filter cover, keeps the other internals covered and a positive hold for the air filter. My scrench stays on me too, but why make a use for it when there’s no need? I know this is nit picky, but why go backwards?

With the air injection the filter stays clean a lot longer
I like the new design of the 462
let's just hope it holds up
I'm at 15 tanks thru it and it's still making me smile
Just my opinion but I think it's a big step forward

The way the 241 and 362 covers go under the brake lever is annoying. I have to put the brake on to get the cover off. Stihl might have done that as a safety feature in case someone tries to remove the cover with the saw running.

A few times now I've pulled the cover with the clutch off, forgetting that putting the brake on with no clutch drum pulls the brake band out of position. Then I have to fuss with it to get it round again.

The way the 241 and 362 covers go under the brake lever is annoying. I have to put the brake on to get the cover off. Stihl might have done that as a safety feature in case someone tries to remove the cover with the saw running.

A few times now I've pulled the cover with the clutch off, forgetting that putting the brake on with no clutch drum pulls the brake band out of position. Then I have to fuss with it to get it round again.

If Stihl did indeed do something out of convenience, I'm sure it was an over-sight.

As far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't have to use a tool to remove the cover that houses the air filter and spark plug. Just twist a knob and be done with it. Duh!! :rolleyes:

I believe they're replacing the 461 with the much more expensive 500i at $1,450. Most think the 462 is the upgrade of the 461, but it actually fits more as the upgrade to the 441 in displacement.
When at the time the specs were coming out (and before) on the
462, I know I didn't know of the 500i.
and the 6 bph was the same as the 461. Then to confuse it more. the model numbers run in sequence (461/462) Up to a few days ago I was thinking a ported 372 would be the best saw to cross reference a ported 462 with for perspective. That's because I though its 'the only 70cc saw'.I don't think about the 044/440 anymore. Hardly seen them past the mid '90's. even at that, it was mainly 028,034,036 ,046 ,066

You would see those smaller saws mentioned in the interior tree thinning and the odd 044. Then 65% small husqvarna,, 266/61, 262,254,42

100% 266xp for west coast thinning.
No exceptions.

I just remembered they even had the 441 just the other day. I have only seen just 1 before, other than on a store shelf.
Cutting Seismic lines you may see 10% Stihls but 361/362 and 460/461.

I suppose when its the same weight with less hp than the 460, it becomes displaced (no pun)

Funny thing is the 500i at 6.8 bph converts exactly to 5.00 kw and the 462 is exactly 4.41 kw so it would have made sense to call it the 442 but from a marketing stand point I see what they are doing. They are sitting on the fence with it. It's not a man or machine, it's something in-between.
It's really made to appeal to a mid 50cc through 60 class as well In Europe its advertised with 16", 18" and 20" bar with those little dogs.
If you class the 500 at an 80cc class then that saw may dominate the 60 and 70 class.

That 500 is a beast at 6.3 kg, 6.8 hp

The 441 is at 6.6 kg at 5.5 hp.
.66 lb (10.33 oz less is the 462)

You are absolutely right with the 462. it is a 441 that's about 1/3 modified ,so to speak. (minus the weight).

Both could make a 'one saw plan on the ground for many.

Yes, 462 replaces 441 and 500 replaces 461. If you look to the German Stihl webpages, you see that the two old models are already gone: https://www.stihl.de/STIHL-Produkte/Motorsägen-und-Kettensägen/01582/Sägen-für-die-Forstwirtschaft.aspx
(and 241 is still there...)

Many of the timber fallers who field tested the 462 reported back saying "I'll take three more 461's before they're gone."
I heard the 500i will be released for retail here on the west coast this summer... according to Madsens.
What are the 462 complaints from the fallers ?

What are the 462 complaints from the fallers ?
Nothing as far as complaints. Most of those guys went directly from the 461 to the 462 and immediately compared bottom end torque. If you're not expecting the same displacement as the 461 then there will be no disappointment. These guys typically run 32" bars falling timber.

thanks for the responses I’m lovin’ the knowledge !! I’m sure this topic will be discussed quite a bit. I picked up the 461r yesterday and it is sexxy but I learned that the Oiler is a 1.1 not 0.8 output like the non wrap model not a bad thing but I felt pretty stupid arguing with local dealers about it . All dealers I’ve talked to said that they were identical except for one! Love this saw, now rebuild the old 440 into a beast!!!! And on the 462 topic “From stihl over the phone ” is that a new redisgned 462 will be released in June that is similar to the 500!!.!

Nothing as far as complaints. Most of those guys went directly from the 461 to the 462 and immediately compared bottom end torque. If you're not expecting the same displacement as the 461 then there will be no disappointment. These guys typically run 32" bars falling timber.
I ran nothing but a 32 on my 440 for the life of it! If I had a dollar and a beer for every tree I fell with that saw... lol

Attachments

• FDDA765C-831F-44C3-B213-C24DD3B657DF.jpeg
    FDDA765C-831F-44C3-B213-C24DD3B657DF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
Back