Loggers Rough on Bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand the logic of leaving an empty saw in a log kerf. It's got to come out to be fueled anyway. Especially with heavy equipment running around. I'm thinking the logger was inexperienced.
Actually, he was very experienced, but I have to wonder if a few Bud Lights might have been involved. And, it could be that the bar was pinched. Several possibilities exist. I wasn't there and I don't think he wants to remember it. BTW, I did mean to say skidder, not skid loader. It just drags logs or entire trees. He loads the flatbed bunk trailer using a picker truck after the logs are bucked to lengths that the sawmill wants.

Actually, he was very experienced, but I have to wonder if a few Bud Lights might have been involved. And, it could be that the bar was pinched. Several possibilities exist. I wasn't there and I don't think he wants to remember it. BTW, I did mean to say skidder, not skid loader. It just drags logs or entire trees. He loads the flatbed bunk trailer using a picker truck.

It must have been the Bud Lights.

At least the log wasn't bumped hard enough to roll the log over the saw. It could easily happen.

I doubt getting pinched and running out of fuel at the same time is all that likely, but it is possible.

I'm very careful about where I leave a valuable chainsaw.

It must have been the Bud Lights. At least the log wasn't bumped hard enough to roll the log over the saw. It could easily happen. I doubt getting pinched and running out of fuel at the same time is all that likely, but it is possible.

I'm very careful about where I leave a valuable chainsaw.
That's what I also told him. It's amazing that the power head was left intact. The chain was ruined also and that could have done damage also as it broke loose and twisted. So, if you add the chain to the bar, that's where I got my $150 figure. Stihl chain ain't cheap, even though he buys 100' reels.

That's what I also told him. It's amazing that the power head was left intact. The chain was ruined also and that could have done damage also as it broke loose and twisted. So, if you add the chain to the bar, that's where I got my $150 figure. Stihl chain ain't cheap, even though he buys 100' reels.

Might have bent the crankshaft.

On felling my last tree of the day, to finish off the load, I was tired, I had my brand new 2101 out for a spin. It got windy, I was in a rush. The wind spun the tree on the stump and it grabbed my saw. The tree bounced 4’ in the air once it knew it zeros in on saw. Funny the NASA space age plastic didn’t break but the crankcase did. My dealer picked up a non running 2100 trade in and hooked me up. New seals, bearings, gaskets back in action. My point we can all have bad days. There goes the profit on two cords of firewood. I learned to slow down and not be cocky.

No one got hurt, material things can be fixed or replaced.

LOL I usually don't even bother trying to straighten a bar. If Im working it will cost me more in down time to TRY to fix it than its worth. Anybody that says they have never bent a bar just hasn't used a saw long enough in a professional environment. Like someone else said, saws are tools meant to be used.

Actually, he was very experienced, but I have to wonder if a few Bud Lights might have been involved. And, it could be that the bar was pinched. Several possibilities exist. I wasn't there and I don't think he wants to remember it.

Well that would make sense why the gas was at the truck. Saw in the left hand, beer in the right...lol

I'm glad I have never 'prided' myself as a logger or I may have been offended by this thread.

Ok prehaps he left the gas on purpose to go back to the truck to have a 'nip' ?

Addicts are tricky.

Guy was telling me a story about a gradder operator that worked for him.

He was suspicious of him drinking on the job and one day the booze got the best of the guy. He found him past out inside the gradder on the job. He gave him another change but he was going to be checking the machine and frisking him down. At times he talked to him and it still seemed like he was drinking. He was watching him (following him) at a distance one day and driving up on him again.
Turns out he had all these little cashes in the bush every so far. He must have been topping up at night.
----------------------------------------------

I was thinking the guy got pinched and maybe went to get a wedge and It could have happend at that time. Perhaps he was pretty much working off his truck?

Another scenario. He had a full 2 in 1 day jug and the machine flattened it.
He left his saw to go get his other jug and the machine flattened it. Haha.

I do not think Stihl wants me to replace that bar, the tip, and the chain by working for several hours in my shop. Stihl wants me to buy a new bar and chain. That's what the Stihl dealer said. It's as simple a that.
It's a good thing Stihl owns your saw (insert sarcasm). As a side note I wouldn't fix it, too many manhours involved.

I might even tear up $150 in tools trying to rebuild it.

I had a close call with my 038. Was felling about a 20 inch kichory and just as it started to go it did a weird twist on the stump. I pulled the saw around with the tree and ditched it last minut. Looking back yes that was very stupid. I should have just bailed and left saw to be crushed. I got lucky. Never got hurt. I did k8nda save the saw. Only got the chain break handle and oule cap. Never left any other mark on saw.

I was fairly new to cutting. Have learned a lot since then ( and still learning). Thinking back. Tree was very straight. Not much lean. If i had of chased with a wedge that would never have happened.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Plastic wedges can be your freind. Second we were new at this once, but we never stop learning. I feel after a hard days work cutting if we go home in the same condition as when we arrived it was a good day. Material things we can replace.
This is a dangerous job and it’s right up there with coal mining.

What do you guys do with all your old, worn out or abused bars? I don't know any knife-makers and can't think of any good uses for the old hunks of relatively good quality steel.

Latest posts

Back