Can a hydraulic splitter be to fast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There used to be one (semi automatic) on YouTube that was round ,like a merry-go-round, though not that big. The ring with eight or so trays or chambers rotated around a small center platform. The chamber would stop, the round was pushed out of the tray endwise and through a wedge. The next chamber rotated in place. The operator simply kept the empty, rotating ring of chambers full. It was a Euro design. I liked it.

You can make a splitter as fast and as automated as you want. It just a matter of budget.. If you are selling hundreds of cords of wood a year, then it can be very profitable to upgrade to something that can do all the work for you with just the touch of a button. Anything that eliminates manpower/labor cost is putting more money in your pocket. Since I dont sell firewood, I dont have to concern myself with mass production. I dont have any way of knowing how many here sell firewood and how many are like me, just trying to take care of my own needs. It wouldnt make much sense for me to invest $10's of thousands of dollars in a splitter capable of producing hundreds of cords of firewood a year. Doesnt mean I wouldnt like to have such a machine. I could get all my wood done in a singe day and the splitter could just sit and rust the rest of the year.

I have worked with CAN controlled automated hydraulic systems. I can tell you they are sweet when working, but a bear to trouble shoot when something goes wrong. To many sensors, wires, all depending on everything working in sync. Get one thing out of adjustment and the whole thing starts screwing up. All those wire connections and sensors dont like dirty, wet, oily enviroments. The usual repair is replace the bad part and those parts aint cheap and usually propriatory so you cant just pick up the phone and call your usual parts supplier to get a replacement. Another thing about using electronics is they have a tendency to stop working and will start back up without warning. I had a Divison Engineer loose 2 fingers when he wiggled a wire on a magnetic switch and the machine cycled so fast he couldnt get his hand out of the way. I had a supervisor loose a ear doing almost the exact same thing. It could have just as easily cut his head off. I like running automated equipment, but I hated working on them.

Looking at the total time it takes to get from a log to split wood, the machine can cycle what most of us would consider painfully slowly and still, if automatic, have us producing more wood by the end of each day. There will come a time, even down here, where operators won't be allowed to get their hands anywhere near the wedge and the splitting chambers will be caged off. The magazine style splitters I can see just around the corner not only meet that sort of retarded safety legislation but produce more wood per day with one operator even if they cycle painfully slowly.

It's quite a good exercise to do a personal time in motion kind of study. In a typical day of putting up firewood, how much time is there wood passing through a splitting chamber, compared to handling logs, cutting rounds, sharpening chains, handling firewood, having lunch, answering calls, shooting the breeze on AS, etc, etc. It's quite an eye opener and make ya think about where the bottlenecks really are. Even if we look at it as just a cog in an even larger system and we compare the amount of time actually splitting wood with the time it takes to get to and from the job, fell and harvest the trees, make the log, cut the round, etc, etc. On that basis, a fast cycling splitter is a bit like pissing into the wind. There are so many other parts of the system that could give a better return for every dollar invested.

Even if logs turn up on a truck and there is no harvesting, it's still quite enlightening to keep an eye on the total time for each stage from log delivery to either putting your own wood in your own fireplace/boiler/etc, or delivering that firewood to a customer.

There used to be one (semi automatic) on YouTube that was round ,like a merry-go-round, though not that big. The ring with eight or so trays or chambers rotated around a small center platform. The chamber would stop, the round was pushed out of the tray endwise and through a wedge. The next chamber rotated in place. The operator simply kept the empty, rotating ring of chambers full. It was a Euro design. I liked it.
You might be thinking of Igland WR6?

WOW,that splitter,may be the dumbest ever-I have an Igland grapple and love it,but their splitter,what are they thinking?

You might be thinking of Igland WR6?

Did a little searching, that wr6 seems to be mostly over the big pond. Found a used one and it was $3700. Doesnt have its own hyd supply so I would assume that it could be speeded up by throwing some more oil at it. Limited to smallish dia and 16in lenghts wood so it wouldnt be much use to me. It is an interesting design

Too expensive but another general concept exploration:

Specifically, the box wedge design is the key to opening the door to high production automatic single-operator firewood. It doesn't matter what sized wood (up to a limit of course) is fed in, it spits out consistent firewood (and a ton of scrap too but much of that depends on the design - some are absolutely horrible). Take a look at any well designed box wedge splitter and it's not hard to see how a magazine could be fitted, loaded with rounds, and gravity fed into them.

I am likeing that one. One man can produce a lot of wood with that machine
Just the splitting portion of that machine, not the cutting portion, was about USD 15k about 4 years ago when I last looked at it. Justifiable, just, if it's still around that cost, and one operator can knock out 20 cords a day. I nearly went that way at the time, but for the fact I could not afford all the other supporting equipment/assets needed. It's a stationary machine, thus need a good shed and then power to the shed then a steady supply of logs that will suit it, then the land to store what would be thousands of cubic meters produced every season, etc. The only way I could guarantee a steady supply of suitable logs was buying pine logs from forestry, which are the lowest value firewood we have here, and the only land available for the operation would need $30k worth of earth works to get reliable truck access before the power was even run or the shed built. Then there was the SS to load it and deal with the crates/bags, then the cost of a thousand or more crates/bags/pallets for the storage. Suddenly that USD15k machine became a drop in the bucket and it was going to be way too easy to run out of $ before the tide turned and it started coming back in.

Pezzolato in Italy do a similar "X" knife auto splitting machine that can handle larger rounds up to 1200mm, slightly over 47". That would be a better max size for here but their's also has a minimum diameter of 300mm, so not going to handle everything. I never got a price for it because other machines from them at the time seemed rather expensive here so I didn't even bother. I'm still curious though.
https://www.pezzolato.it/en/machine/tb-splitting-unit/

I can envision a machine that could eliminate almost all the lifting and turning and would be very high production, but it would be expensive and require support equipment. All it takes is a lot of money. My ideal is to take a sectional conveyor. Each section being just short enough for the minimum lenght wood you want to produce. Make it where the sections can be adjustabe to handle the longest pieces of firewood you want to produce. Between each section mount a vertical saw, similar to a gang saw. I would probably choose a chain and bar instead of a circular saw simply because of cost and limited cutting dia. The saw would be mounted on each conveyor section so that it would move as the sections are extended or retracted. Throw a 10-12-14 ft etc. lenght log on the conveyor. Saw the entire log into rounds at the same time with the saws then advance the rounds into a automatic splitter similar to the Splitta 400, except make the splitter big enough to handle the largest rounds your saws would cut. You could also make it where you only cut 3 or 4 rounds off a log at a time. Add a long conveyor to remove the split rounds away from the spitter. While the splitter is processing the firewood, the operator can use a loader to get another log ready for the conveyor. The operator could use a remote control to start/stop the machine.. I have no ideal what it would take to power such a rig, expensive I am sure, but one man could produce a of wood in a day and never break a sweat.

In such a high production capable splitter, and the lack of manpower needed to produce the wood, one would think they have elminated a lot of labor cost. Maybe, until you start thinking of bagging, or stacking,and delivering. If your going to produce that much firewood, you are going to need to move it, preferrably to the end user, not just piled on your lot. This is going to take manpower, altho the operator could just process wood for a few hours a day and make deliveries the rest of the day.

For support equipment, besides the loader, I would want a debarker to remove the bark and cut down on the mess, as well as the dirt that would come with skidded timber. bark is another high value product to be sold in landscaping. You would also need some method of getting rid of the sawdust. Then you would need some sort of bagging system to catch the splits as they come off the processor and a shed to store the bags under. I would probably want to set all this up on a concrete slab. I would also think about installing a set of truck scales and sell the wood by weight instead of cords. With the scales, you can tell just how much the suppler is hauling to you and how much you are delivering to each customer. Also makes it easy for someone to come to you to buy wood so you dont have to deliver. Any time you can save by not being on the road is more money in your pocket.

Sadly, most of us on here dont have the market, money, or time to justify such a operation, but that doesnt stop us from wanting the biggest, baddest splitter money can buy.

Kinetic splitters claim a 3 second cycle time and I've still got all nine of my fingers.. ;)

To me cycle time is the time taken from fully retracted to fully extended to fully retracted with no stops in the cycle.Is this what is being described as cycle time in these cases?

I can envision a machine that could eliminate almost all the lifting and turning and would be very high production, but it would be expensive and require support equipment. All it takes is a lot of money. My ideal is to take a sectional conveyor. Each section being just short enough for the minimum lenght wood you want to produce. Make it where the sections can be adjustabe to handle the longest pieces of firewood you want to produce. Between each section mount a vertical saw, similar to a gang saw. I would probably choose a chain and bar instead of a circular saw simply because of cost and limited cutting dia. The saw would be mounted on each conveyor section so that it would move as the sections are extended or retracted. Throw a 10-12-14 ft etc. lenght log on the conveyor. Saw the entire log into rounds at the same time with the saws then advance the rounds into a automatic splitter similar to the Splitta 400, except make the splitter big enough to handle the largest rounds your saws would cut. You could also make it where you only cut 3 or 4 rounds off a log at a time. Add a long conveyor to remove the split rounds away from the spitter. While the splitter is processing the firewood, the operator can use a loader to get another log ready for the conveyor. The operator could use a remote control to start/stop the machine.. I have no ideal what it would take to power such a rig, expensive I am sure, but one man could produce a of wood in a day and never break a sweat.

In such a high production capable splitter, and the lack of manpower needed to produce the wood, one would think they have elminated a lot of labor cost. Maybe, until you start thinking of bagging, or stacking,and delivering. If your going to produce that much firewood, you are going to need to move it, preferrably to the end user, not just piled on your lot. This is going to take manpower, altho the operator could just process wood for a few hours a day and make deliveries the rest of the day.

For support equipment, besides the loader, I would want a debarker to remove the bark and cut down on the mess, as well as the dirt that would come with skidded timber. bark is another high value product to be sold in landscaping. You would also need some method of getting rid of the sawdust. Then you would need some sort of bagging system to catch the splits as they come off the processor and a shed to store the bags under. I would probably want to set all this up on a concrete slab. I would also think about installing a set of truck scales and sell the wood by weight instead of cords. With the scales, you can tell just how much the suppler is hauling to you and how much you are delivering to each customer. Also makes it easy for someone to come to you to buy wood so you dont have to deliver. Any time you can save by not being on the road is more money in your pocket.

Sadly, most of us on here dont have the market, money, or time to justify such a operation, but that doesnt stop us from wanting the biggest, baddest splitter money can buy.
If only we could win the lottery.

Anyone remember the chomper machines? Took a whole log, spat out firewood automatically. T wasn't sure about the execution but was certainly attracted by the automation. A pity the enterprise imploded under some family shenanigans.

Back