Homemade gaskets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave0846

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all

With the prices of 045/056 parts getting more expensive (shipping to nz kills it) has anyone made there own gaskets with much success?

Curved chisels kept properly sharp will tidy up those rounds. Pencil in the lines, then follow with chisel, do it right, will be better than new.
Always good to have several different thickness gasket paper sheets on hand. I just hang them up with pegs to keep them straight, they do warp a bit, but far easier to work than if you store them rolled up.

Gaskets are easy it is the other stuff that is more of a challenge. I keep boxes and boxes of ford 460, 289, 302, sb 350 and so on. When I need a certain material I usually have it. So many parts are very expensive or NA. When You have stuff that is obsolete why not give a shot at extending their life a little. I have an old crapsman 3.2 saw that just has not yet quit. It is not what I consider a great saw, but when I need to cut a few hundred limbs it comes in handy. Thanks

Anyone figure out a way to transfer the mating surface to the paper. I’ve made my own serval times but I’ve had an old gasket to trace.

Yup, make lots of my own gaskets. Have a big box of all kinds of gasket material and box of gasket making tools. When I'm making a gasket I usually make at least two gaskets while all the tools and material is out and ready.

Also several of my gaskets are made from one that I've saved for a pattern that is NLA or expensive.

I check the current price and availability of a gasket and if costly I just make it. Some of them Onan small engine gaskets are just out of sight in price.

Anyone figure out a way to transfer the mating surface to the paper. I’ve made my own serval times but I’ve had an old gasket to trace.
I've used a thin layer of red grease, differential marking paint, it wipes off when done. Also have used the part I'm making it for and lightly taped it with a brass hammer for the outlines then cut and punch them out. Perfect gasket every time.

Steve

I started out five decades ago making gaskets for my gravely tractors. We do have gasket elimators available now too. There are some good silicones out there too. I used a pro seal silicone that’s awesome on the seams on dirtbikes that leak oil.

Now I’m collecting vintage saws and I see very little in new parts being offered for certain models. It seems the models that weren’t so popular there is less parts available for them.

Latest posts

Back