Loggers use Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not seen a harvester here at the foot of the mountains. A few poplars and a white oak or two may exceed 100’ here. We don’t have many pines of substance. Some hemlocks in the mountains may get to 100’. And some sycamores get there, but most everything else tops out 80’ or under.

Ron

Stihl or Husqvarna that’s the question,

In the beginning of my cutting firewood I started out with two new craftsman chainsaws. Both of them wore out before the warranty was up. I cut only 20 cords of firewood with them.

In 1979 i was talking with a co worker about chainsaws. He said when they were kids the three of them had a Husqvarna dirtbike and that summer they couldn’t kill it. So I purchased a new 240sg Husqvarna and a 2100 Husqvarna. I never had a day off because of a saw failure. The husqvarna chainsaws run better than the energizer bunny they take a licking and keep on cutting. We have local loggers who mainly run Husqvarnas, but a few use johsereds and partners. Not many loggers use Stihl here.

I always wanted to try the Husqvarna dirtbikes. My co worker was right. I found the Swedish bikes to be tops in quality and workmanship plus they were very fast. I had 15 restored huskys and a total of 27 bikes.

+1 on husky bikes, early 70s when i was into dirt racin, one o the best $$$ could buy. japs caught up lil later on in 70s.
only ever had one loggin job. 79/80. poulan 4200 were supplyed saws. the couple "experienced" guys didnt like em...
lookin back at what at what was offered by h & s then, in 70cc, musta been green paint they werent likin.
i didnt know any better, then...

As said in post#2 regional & usually dealer oriented Eg. price ,service & general attitude they want you r business We used to use Stihl but the dealer was a bit take it or leave it attitude An ex employee set up on his own & dealt Husky better price & service hence we use Husky

I've seen a lot of different things. Generally speaking guys will stick with one or the other. Just like anything there's a bit of variability in it. A lot of guys that are making a living with them aren't concerned about much other than the practicality of them.

• Can it be fixed
  • Does it have the right power/weight
  • Is it reliable
  • Can my dealer service it
A lot of guys will have solid relationships with their dealers as well which makes a difference in what pieces of equipment they select.

I've seen a lot of different things. Generally speaking guys will stick with one or the other. Just like anything there's a bit of variability in it. A lot of guys that are making a living with them aren't concerned about much other than the practicality of them.

• Can it be fixed
  • Does it have the right power/weight
  • Is it reliable
  • Can my dealer service it
A lot of guys will have solid relationships with their dealers as well which makes a difference in what pieces of equipment they select.
In our case #1 yes #2 yes& are the fallers happy with it #3 yes #4 doesn't matter as we do all our o maintenance/sevice ,not mentioned was price comparison important if selected brands are similar/comparable

I thought huskys were homeowner saws until I joined on here. You can buy any stihl you want around here, but I’ve yet to lay eyes on a real husky. Just what Home Depot and tractor supply carry’s (very unimpressive). It’s definetly a geography deal, around here homeowners who want something descent and can’t justify a stihl buy husky. I’d love it if there was a shop here that had a demo on a 70cc or so husky. Let me run it for an hour for free, I may buy one then, especially if it’s been run by 20 other folks as a demo before me.

My new Husqvarna saws a 385xp & a 575 x torque didn’t break in till they hit 10 cords on each one. I was cutting scraps at a saw mill and my two huskys put a show on. They were calling us the axe men of the northeast. But really it was the saws that kicked butt. Big diameter trees, big cc power heads, long bars, skip tooth chain.

Husky vs jonsered?

It’s like being on the road looking for a place to eat. Where are all the 18 wheelers stopped at?

I notice the tree service guys here use husky ranchers or Stihl chain saws.
The pro loggers doing 100/200 cord lots use pro husky saws.

Around here, Stihl is all that loggers use because the nearest Husky dealer is about 150 miles away. Most local Stihl dealers refuse to work on Husqvarna chain saws or even order parts for them. So, I often use them instead because I get really good prices for used Husky equipment and then order parts as needed. I have little trouble repairing Husqvarna chain saws.

When I could get Husqvarna I ran Husqvarna. The 55, 372 and 395 could not be beaten for what they were/are. Then Husqvarna went full corpo greed and a lot of dealers dropped them because they had no interest in carrying anything else other than saws and corporate was trying to force them to keep stock of the whole line. When the dealers dried up so did parts/service, which leads to downtime and lost money, which is NFG. I had an 044 and an 046 for wildland work, but that was because they’re the standard there-parts/service availability again rules the day.

I’m mostly running 441s/461s now across crews. I need to be able to gets bars/chains/parts.

Same thing with Case equipment. I really like Case backhoes, small dozers, skid steers & loaders, but as soon as Hunt Tractor closed in Louisville Whayne Supply started getting a lot more business.

Latest posts

Back