New favorite firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought a blownup 346xp, 04 model a couple days ago. Lastnite I tore it down and was very tempted to just put a ring in it but decided to go new instead. This morning I picked up a new model topend at my dealer.. The newer 346xp has a little more bore than the older models. Put it together, base gasket delete and thought hmm. sounded good. I let it idle for a minute and then stuck it in a stick of wood. Well, I was impressed, saw had a 20in bar and 3/8 chisel chain and while it pulled alright, the chain was dull and it cut crooked. I said screw it, It needed a 18in bar so I headed back to the dealer and picked up a new 18in bar and .325 chain. We pulled the clutch to do a sprocket change and discovered it had a .325 sprocket already on it. Someone had put the wrong chain and bar on this saw, probably how they blew it up. Came home and fired it up. That saw will cut. I wanted to see how it did with the bar burried so I had a 30in+ dia red oak I had cut in my front yard and the stump needed cut off. I buried the bar and the saw just kept digging, I put the pressure to it and it wouldnt hardly bog. I like my 55's for firewood, but I think I have found a new favorite.When it gets broke in, its going to be a bad mama gama.

I have heard Great things about the 346xp, but have never run one.

I sure do like my Husky 353 though,
I had no idea how much I "Needed" a Good 50cc saw until I used it

Congratulations on the 346, it is on my "Some Day" List

Doug :cheers:

So did you decipher why it was blown up and address it? Hate to hear it blows again! Curious.
Doesnt apprear to be sucking air, but I dont have a vaccumm tester to test with. I am just guessing, but I think they leaned it out trying to get the 3/8chain on a 20in bar with .325 sprocket to work. I know it didnt cut worth crap with that combo when I first tried to cut with it. I cut one stick of smallish dia wood and said to heck with this. Saw idles well and does good in the cut. Its a gamble, but seems to be working out, so far.

LOL!!! There are so many best firewood saws out there. Many of which are plated such on this site, under numerous repeated treads of slightly different titles.
I can agree to that statement. I was looking for light weight and normal sized firewood. When it comes to the bigger rounds, I'll still pull out the 272. The 346 is good, but not in the same league as the 272. It was a blown saw too. New piston and ring and now it screams.

There are a LOT of saws that are well respected on here, the 346XP has an almost Cult like following, and is generally Praised for it's Performance and Reliability. The Echo saws are generally touted as saws that perform well, and are reliable at an Excellent price point, I rarely see the Echo's compared directly to the 346XP, 372XP, 288XP etc. When advice is asked regarding a saw, especially for firewooding, we typically see the Husky's and Stihls recommended, followed by a pitch for Echo's for $xxx less.

For firewood use, for the typical home owner, I am sure that the Echo's will last many many years, IF, as with any saw or tool, it is properly maintained, so what is the "BEST" will vary with the user, and how they factor cost into the equation. There are lots of "Right" answers, but not any Single answer for ALL situations or users.

Doug :cheers:

Heres where I am at with this saw. $60 for a blownup saw. $105 for a oem NE cyl and piston and $55 for a new bar and chain. Took me 30 min to take apart and 30 min to put back together once I got the parts. $220 for a very good saw and should last me the rest of my life. Now I did find some NIB 346xp's for sale for $245, but they where all tribrake saws located somewhere in Indonesia.

Heres where I am at with this saw. $60 for a blownup saw. $105 for a oem NE cyl and piston and $55 for a new bar and chain. Took me 30 min to take apart and 30 min to put back together once I got the parts. $220 for a very good saw and should last me the rest of my life. Now I did find some NIB 346xp's for sale for $245, but they where all tribrake saws located somewhere in Indonesia.

You got a new saw. Might look a bit rough, but where it counts, it is new. Plus it is fun to restore an otherwise dumpster bound saw.

I have a 50 special Husqvarna an a 51 after reading the post . I just seen a 346 at the pawn shop talk my self out of buying it . Might have to build one

I have a 50 special Husqvarna an a 51 after reading the post . I just seen a 346 at the pawn shop talk my self out of buying it . Might have to build one
I just bought another 346xp, this time a NE with the primer bulb. Ring is melted to the piston. I havent torn it apart yet but most likely will need a cyl as well as piston. I have a buddy that has a almost new one that got ran over with a truck. I am going to see if the top is any good and try to trade him out of it. Got my eye on a 357xp and a 266xp. I have already spoke for the 266 and am negociating the 357. Both saws are blown.

The old 346xp had a 42mm piston, while the ne verson has a 44.3 piston. The ne version will fit on the older model and it brings the saw up to a 50cc. It will out cut the 50 or 51 models and probably the 55 models as well. Its lighter too to boot.

I just bought another 346xp, this time a NE with the primer bulb. Ring is melted to the piston. I havent torn it apart yet but most likely will need a cyl as well as piston. I have a buddy that has a almost new one that got ran over with a truck. I am going to see if the top is any good and try to trade him out of it. Got my eye on a 357xp and a 266xp. I have already spoke for the 266 and am negociating the 357. Both saws are blown.

The old 346xp had a 42mm piston, while the ne verson has a 44.3 piston. The ne version will fit on the older model and it brings the saw up to a 50cc. It will out cut the 50 or 51 models and probably the 55 models as well. Its lighter too to boot.
Was looking to do a 50 cc beast saw . Was looking at the 550 xp too but . I like were your going kept me in updated

Back