MS261 questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBomber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Recently relocated from New England to North Carolina. Property is a tangle of unmaintained Red Oak, Sweetgum, Hickory and Longleaf and Red Pine. Had to leave my saws behind.... Temporarily. =)
Anyways, got the green light to buy a MS261. Only two I've seen at dealers are labeled as "MS261C". Are they M-Tronic? Thought it should say MS261C-M....?
Also, is an 18" okay for oak on one. It will be my only saw for a few months, and there's a 24+ inch Sweetgum down across the road leading to the back of my property. Also a bunch of similar sized pines. Oaks are around 20 inches max. I've never ran an MS261, but my MS260 was so much better with a 16" ..... But that was in all hardwoods, maples, oaks, hickory, birth etc. Plus, I had the 2171BB to use for the bigger stuff. I realize that there is no comparison between the 026/260 and 261.... But 50cc
..?
I will be using it primarily as a firewood saw for main heat source. Tree to stove.

I believe that the 261c is still a computer controlled carb but it was before they branded it M-tronic. I could be wrong tho . It’s easy to tell . Look at the holes where the carb adjustments should be. If you see no screws and a electric box instead then it’s computer controlled . If I had to own one saw to do it all I’d choose a 261 . Nimble enough to do fire wood but packs enough punch to cut the bigger stuff if and when you need too . I started out with a 18” .325 and the saw almost had to much power for it where it seemed that it almost immediately reved out and didn’t cut good . Put a 16” 3/8 on and it cut pretty decent . Then I finally put on a 18” 3/8 and i like it the best . Sounds stupid I’m sure but it makes it so the saw uses the torque of the motor and not just free rev into the high heavens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently relocated from New England to North Carolina. Property is a tangle of unmaintained Red Oak, Sweetgum, Hickory and Longleaf and Red Pine. Had to leave my saws behind.... Temporarily. =)
Anyways, got the green light to buy a MS261. Only two I've seen at dealers are labeled as "MS261C". Are they M-Tronic? Thought it should say MS261C-M....?
Also, is an 18" okay for oak on one. It will be my only saw for a few months, and there's a 24+ inch Sweetgum down across the road leading to the back of my property. Also a bunch of similar sized pines. Oaks are around 20 inches max. I've never ran an MS261, but my MS260 was so much better with a 16" ..... But that was in all hardwoods, maples, oaks, hickory, birth etc. Plus, I had the 2171BB to use for the bigger stuff. I realize that there is no comparison between the 026/260 and 261.... But 50cc
..?
I will be using it primarily as a firewood saw for main heat source. Tree to stove.

C is mtronic Cary Mower and saw in Cary seems to keep non mtronic. Either them or Wilson equipment in Raleigh would outfit them with your bar and chain of choice. I’m not sure the Cary store carries it in mtronic.

It’s probably the best 50cc saw for bigger stuff stock.

Yes the 261c is mtronic , and it's a great saw for the size. I think you'd be very happy with it for a firewood saw. 18 inch oak would be about a Max for the saw, I'd also recommend getting one with an 18" bar.

Might be interesting to set it up with 18” .325 pitch, and .050 gauge. Stihl makes those loops in RS and probably RM.

..?
The 261 handles an 18in. bar in all of the hardwoods with ease. After 1 or 2 tanks you will feel it free up somewhat. After 5-10 tanks it will be noticeably stronger. If you do a muffler mod, it will run cooler & improve even more quickly. I'm assuming you will be running the .325 chain & 7 tooth sprocket which is how they are usually set up & is an excellent combination.
Yes, the 261C is M-Tronic. Mine is an early model (early 2011) which is about 1lb. heavier & is equipped with an adjustable carb. It is now ported & cuts more like a 60cc saw than the 50cc which it is. Prior to being ported, I did a muffler mod & removed the restrictors on the H needle so that it was fully adjustable. It seemed to operate best at around 13,300RPM until broken in (about 12 tanks) after which it gradually increased to 13,800 on its own! It was a beautiful saw to work with prior to being ported. Now it's a beast!!

I'm a two saw advocate, so a 60cc is out. I'll be getting back my 2171 in late April or May. I absolutely love my MS260 Pro, for it's weight when limbing, but it definitely lacks power when the bar is buried.
Not trying to take anything away from the MS361. It's legend is well deserved.
Well, all of you have twisted my rubber arm.... I'll be getting one in the morning.

The 261 is a great saw. All of the stihl saws I've seen with computer carbs just say C, I've never seen a CM on a badge.

Mine sees a lot of work bucking frozen hardwood with a 16" 3/8 bar. If you run .325, it'll handle an 18" bar with no complaints at all.

I have a 2017 261CM, and yes, like everyone says, the model name on the side of the saw is just '261C'. I have a 20" bar on mine, .325 .050. I cut mainly hardwoods. I will say that when I first got the saw I was a little regretful I got the 20" bar. After 11 tanks the engine has come alive. These saws really do have a break in period. I would say around tank 8 is when the engine started to rev and run freely. Then around tank 10 I did a simple muffler port. Amazing difference. 20" is absolutely fine on this saw now, and last weekend I bucked up a bunch of frozen 16" red oak with ease. Love the 20" bar on the saw now.

I've got to jump in here also, i've got a 261 mtronic, and its one nice cutting little saw. Originally it was going to come with a 20'' bar, but i had them put a 18'' bar on it, it's a cutting machine, its fast, and smooth as all get out, i'm cutting mainly red fir with it, and it cuts so fast its almost unbelievable. One thing, when they run out of gas, there's no shaking it to keep it running a couple of seconds longer, when it sputters, it's empty ! All and all, a great saw with decent chain speed, and cutting efficiency. Muffler mod coming soon for mine, or just pull out the spark screen and see what that does for it.

I just got a 261c about a month ago. I bought it brand new already ported. It’s an animal. It’s like a little 70cc saw. I run an 18 3/8 bar and chain in hardwood.

Mine is ported also. Ran it stock for a year, then sent it to tree monkey. And yes, it is AWESOME! :)

I’ve been pondering the thought of porting mine . I might just have to do it . I really want to do it myself but probly outta send it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back