Flying with chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yawiney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have experience checking in their chainsaw for a flight? I think the airlines would discourage it, but if i completely empty the fuel and bar oil would it matter? I don't want to have to buy another saw to clear a piece of land i bought in Hawaii. I need to fly to get there. Not shipping stuff over since it is just raw land. I'm going to check airline policy but just curious if anyone's done this.

The post office sometimes gives me **** about smelling gas fumes so what I started to do was stuff old rags into the fuel tank and that solves that problem really well actuly so you might be able to get away like that.good luck I will keep an eye on the news! Lmao

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Depends on the airline and I believe TSA addresses it on their website of things to carry vs things to check vs things that will get you locked up. IIRC, I think you can check a chainsaw but I can't remember if it's a problem if its been fueled or brand new un-fueled ever kinda thing.

So many years ago, my wife and I flew up to Spokane to visit my parents. Not sure why we flew, as I hate it with a passion. She must have got a very deal deal on two round-trip tickets.

Anyways, while there, I was in a over-stock discount store and found an ECHO weed-whacker. It was brand-new, but had a blem or two. I made a lower price offer than what was on it, and it was accepted.

Luckily, my father had a tall, narrow box that I could have. It fit the weed-whacker perfectly. When we were ready to return home, I checked it in w/o any problem. Once we landed, of course, it could not be located. How in the Hell do you misplace a 6' tall narrow box? We returned home w/o it.

About two days later, I received a call from the airline that it had been located.......two states away. The airline paid to have it delivered to my home.

I don't recall the airline asking me anything in particular about the box before they accepted it as checked baggage. That though, was many years ago and I'm sure things have changed since then.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/
Permitted in checked luggage: "
Engine powered equipment completely purged of fuel

Chainsaws, generators, trimmers, etc.

This entry is for engines that have been completely purged of all liquid or gaseous fuel, including residue and vapors. Equipment powered by an electrical cord is not restricted as a hazardous material if there are no other hazardous materials present. For battery powered equipment, see separate entry in this table.

Even if completely purged, some airlines may refuse to allow engine powered equipment in baggage if it has ever contained fuel.

See the regulation: 49 CFR 175.10(a)(21)"

Anyone have experience checking in their chainsaw for a flight? I think the airlines would discourage it, but if i completely empty the fuel and bar oil would it matter? I don't want to have to buy another saw to clear a piece of land i bought in Hawaii. I need to fly to get there. Not shipping stuff over since it is just raw land. I'm going to check airline policy but just curious if anyone's done this.

What island did you buy on? If it's the Big Island I may be able to help you out.

Just looked. FAA regulations prohibit carrying any gasoline powered tool in either carry on or checked luggage.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/
Permitted in checked luggage: "
Engine powered equipment completely purged of fuel

Chainsaws, generators, trimmers, etc.

This entry is for engines that have been completely purged of all liquid or gaseous fuel, including residue and vapors. Equipment powered by an electrical cord is not restricted as a hazardous material if there are no other hazardous materials present. For battery powered equipment, see separate entry in this table.

Even if completely purged, some airlines may refuse to allow engine powered equipment in baggage if it has ever contained fuel.

See the regulation: 49 CFR 175.10(a)(21)"
They told me i can't be the one purging it. It has to be done by a dealer and have documentation that it was purged of fuel. I'm going to call around today and see who does this. It's too late in the game to ship separately

What island did you buy on? If it's the Big Island I may be able to help you out.
The saw is in California. Land is in Maui.

Years back, I got a good deal on a used, Makita, corded electric chainsaw at a Home Depot rental, while traveling for work. I cleaned it scrupulously; drained / flushed / and vented the oil tank; removed the bar and chain and wrapped them separately; marked everything clearly; etc.; and packed it in my luggage. When I arrived, I found TSA had shredded the packaging to look at the saw.

With some disaster response groups that I work with, we FedEx saws all around the country, but pretty sure that they go ground freight - a problem with Hawaii.

The 'dealer must purge' thing - was that TSA or the airline?

Might want to check on shipping a new, never fueled saw and selling / leaving it there, or checking on saw prices in Hawaii. Bring your own bar, chains, etc.

Philbert

Years back, I got a good deal on a used, Makita, corded electric chainsaw at a Home Depot rental, while traveling for work. I cleaned it scrupulously; drained / flushed / and vented the oil tank; removed the bar and chain and wrapped them separately; marked everything clearly; etc.; and packed it in my luggage. When I arrived, I found TSA had shredded the packaging to look at the saw.

With some disaster response groups that I work with, we FedEx saws all around the country, but pretty sure that they go ground freight - a problem with Hawaii.

The 'dealer must purge' thing - was that TSA or the airline?

Might want to check on shipping a new, never fueled saw and selling / leaving it there, or checking on saw prices in Hawaii. Bring your own bar, chains, etc.

Philbert
I spoke with United who i'm flying on. My local dealer's never heard of this but is getting back to me after asking the owner.

A few ideas.
Drain tank.
Remove air filter. Spray some wd40 down carb. Start it. Keep spraying wd40 down it, for about 2 mins, then quit, and let it die.
This should purge it pretty good.
Set it in front of a fan for a few hours.
Put a cup of dry laundry soap in a sock, with zip tie. Pack this with saw. It will absorb any stray vapors.
Put saw power head inside 3 or more plastic bags. Thick ones. Pack it well. Put a tag on the saw, "drained, purged, and preped for shipping" with a signature, "saw tech".
Box it, with bar and chain.
I think it'd work.
N

You did not mention the make / model if saw (did I miss it?) or your mechanical skills.

Replace the carb, fuel filter, air filter, and all lines; take them as uninstalled parts. Rise the fuel tank with alcohol and vent. Pull the spark plug and turn it over several times, venting with compressed air. Get the parts dealer to sign off.

Or just buy a new saw.

Or go electric!

Things should not have to be so complicated. I wonder is STIHL or Husqvarna have formal purging procedures for shipping saws; not the first time this issue has come up

Good luck.

Philbert

Back