Pole saw tuning; same as chainsaw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20190216_110951.jpg 20190216_110946.jpg

just bought a Shindaiwa M242 multi-tool with pole saw attachment. It was very slow-revving and felt a bit anemic when I first ran it. So I pried apart the muffler and cut out the catalytic "honeycomb". Runs MUCH better now. I've got the tool to adjust the high needle, but not sure exactly how to tune it. Should I tune it same as a chainsaw? (4 stroke when not under load, but clean up in the cut). or should I tune it to a set rpm wide open? any pole saw tuning experts out there??

My Echo PPT-2620 has the same motor as my 2511T. But the pole saw revs way slower, and cuts slower also.
It does the job just fine though.
Pruning limbs from a distance isn't cutting cookies.

The slow revving part is most likely adjusted on the low needle.

If it flames out in use it needs richer. You may find this is where you end up after playing around no load.

Those are often the same thing as a string trimmer but the on and off of the power is generally quite different in the application.

I would tune it with a tach to the recommended RPM. Since you modded the muffler, the warranty likely no longer applies and it wouldn’t be good to run it too lean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I checked the manual for the Shindaiwa m242 and it shows 9600 rpm for the string trimmer head and 12,000 rpm for a blade (brush cutter blade I'm assuming? ). didn't say anything about the pole pruner attachment, so I just decided to set it about 10,000 rpm. the only problem I ran into this afternoon when I used it for a couple hours, was the rpm kept creeping up higher. I'm guessing because the engine is breaking in and loosening up, as well as the bar and chain is wearing in and getting a bit less rotating resistance. Guess I'll just have to keep checking it for a while.

Worked good for me, haven't had a problem cutting or trimming. If you try and set it for sawing, it not gonna run good with the trimmer attached, trimmer has more of a load on the engine.

Steve

Back