At what point is a saw not reliable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I’m becoming addicted to hopping up my saws. At what point does longevity go downhill?

It’s all about what 2t mix your using, what brand of 2t oil your using. Plus keeping the saw chain sharpened. Don’t over load the saw with a dull chain.

I think I understand what you are asking.

My only reason would be possibly bearing failure from unnecessarily high compression. Shoddy machine work from the builder would be another, or the use of AM parts. You’d be suprised how off OEM tolerances can be. I’ve seen Stihl cylinders (best R&D/Precision of all oem IMHO) off by as much as .007 at the edge of the base flange on a lathe that ran for 20+ years. They are super forgiving machines.

Opening a muffler and retuning should make a saw more reliable, not less reliable.

The other thing is computer controlled new designs and cost cutting. I’m sure I will get piled on for this, but the 562XP has had a ton of issues. Yes, it’s a factory hot rod for sure, but I’d take a Stihl 036 over it all day long. In 20 years, the 036 will still be cutting. Let’s see how many 562’s are around in 20 years still in duty.

Im wondering the same thing, my cheap Chinese saw I ported is running 2000 rpm more than stock (14400 last time I checked it but it was cold that day, it was cutting great so I didn't turn it down to 13900 where I had it before on a warm day), I don't know how long it will last but it cuts a ton faster now lol.
I find out when she locks up lol.
If I was building a work saw I needed to run everyday I'd stick with stock rpms, lower revving motors always last longer.

Ok so I won’t see noticeable longevity issues if I haven’t had any in the past with stock saws.
I’ve never blown a saw up, all mine have been rebuilt or found a new home when power dropped off from hours on them.

Latest posts

Back