Bar options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianCT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. Recently grabbed a 661. Looking to put a 28” bar on it. Was considering the stihl es light bar as opposed to the standard stihl bar. My local dealers don’t carry light bars and all seem to try and talk me out of buying them because they state the bars bend very easily?!? Anyone have any experience with these bars?
Thanks
Brian

The benefits generally largely outweigh the few negatives. People tend to 'sell' what's in their shop & have many reasons to justify what they have on the shelf.
That’s kind of what I was getting from these guys. None of them stock the light bars so they don’t want to sell it. Thanks for the reply

Hello all. Recently grabbed a 661. Looking to put a 28” bar on it. Was considering the stihl es light bar as opposed to the standard stihl bar. My local dealers don’t carry light bars and all seem to try and talk me out of buying them because they state the bars bend very easily?!? Anyone have any experience with these bars?
Thanks
Brian
Good purchase, Brian. Seems like chain gauge and bar length are the two important issues. If you decide to go with 063 gauge, I would recommend a 30" bar for that big saw. Your bar would be Stihl's 3003 000 6041. That is what the loggers around here commonly use.

Good purchase, Brian. Seems like chain gauge and bar length are the two important issues. If you decide to go with 063 gauge, I would recommend a 30" bar for that big saw. Your bar would be Stihl's 3003 000 6041. That is what the loggers around here commonly use.
Thanks! I was actually thinking about running that 3/8 050 on a 28. Just seems to be easier to get that chain around here

Thanks! I was actually thinking about running that 3/8 050 on a 28. Just seems to be easier to get that chain around here
I have run 3003 000 8838 with my MS 660 and several others with good success. That's a 28" bar with 050 gauge chain and 3/8" pitch. Works fine. Your saw will hardly breathe hard pulling it. After sales tax, most Stihl bars run about $3 per inch of length.

I have run 3003 000 8838 with my MS 660 and several others with good success. That's a 28" bar with 050 gauge chain and 3/8" pitch. Works fine. Your saw will hardly breathe hard pulling it. After sales tax, most Stihl bars run about $3 per inch of length.
Have you run any of stihls light bars?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...********/index.php?posts/787167/&share_type=t
46d60940ff0f084c35256a3450091360.jpg

Or....

9199d49e227f7e75e9828d5d13fe2c75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 288 with a with a 32” standard Oregon power match bar. After a few hours of running it, if feels like my arms are falling off. I would highly suggest a lightweight bar for anything beyond 24”.

But, be prepared to pay through the nose on a lightweight bar as shown in post #8. Figure a price 4.5 times the bar length in inches.

Well I guess that's OK. LOML bought a Plymouth Roadrunner when she was young and never regretted that either. I met her in Connecticut. ;)

But, be prepared to pay through the nose on a lightweight bar as shown in post #8. Figure a price 4.5 times the bar length in inches.

Well I guess that's OK. LOML bought a Plymouth Roadrunner when she was young and never regretted that either. I met her in Connecticut. ;)

Red Bull has great prices on Tsumura

I’ve ran both light weight bars and standard bars, the only light weight one I have left is a 36 it’s soft in the cut as in you can mismatch cuts very easy as well as you don’t want to pop undercut faces out with them same with the 32’s. Personally just get an Oregon power match save a few dollars and gain the lower back muscles you’ll feel from the 28, a 32 feels more right for limbing as we as bucking slightly nose heavy.

I've never tried Stihl light bars but never heard any bad reviews. Pretty ****** dealer if they're not willing to order what you want. I got my 661 with the 36" standard bar and I wish I would've spent the extra for the light.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Back