Boilers again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still not seeing reasons to go all in on an OWB if you're putting in a mini-split anyway? Maybe I missed them.

I have been researching a lot lately about what's out there. Been thinking about replacing my nature's comfort 175 with a gasser to cut down on the amount of wood I use. I got it narrowed down to heatmaster g200 or the crown Royal pristine 7200. Kind of leaning towards the crown tho. Closest dealer is decorah from me but I think I could swap the stove out myself.

I have a woodmaster 5500 and have been very happy over the past 18 heating seasons. Looking at replacements and may go with locally built EZboilers, met the owner and went through the manufacturing facility. Very simple design and he has kept costs at a minimum.

I'm still not seeing reasons to go all in on an OWB if you're putting in a mini-split anyway? Maybe I missed them.

Maybe I need to find a different brand, but what I was quoted the other day, the dealer said it would struggle below 15*, and likely not work at all below 0*.

1) we spend too many days there for me to be comfortable with that
2) it would take a lot more generator than I have to be able to power that in the event of a power outage. What I have now would easily run the pumps
3) I’m not sure what my monthly cost would be to run it for primary heat, maybe need to evaluate that, but my assumption was it would be quite a bit.

Maybe I need to find a different brand, but what I was quoted the other day, the dealer said it would struggle below 15*, and likely not work at all below 0*.

1) we spend too many days there for me to be comfortable with that
2) it would take a lot more generator than I have to be able to power that in the event of a power outage. What I have now would easily run the pumps
3) I’m not sure what my monthly cost would be to run it for primary heat, maybe need to evaluate that, but my assumption was it would be quite a bit.

Yes, definitely do more looking. I left both ours on all day yesterday & all night last night so I wouldn't have to make a fire on until today. It was -10c when I got up this morning. They were pumping lots of heat & the house was warm. Cold climate mini splits can pump heat out at lower temps. There is more detail out there but the brochure for mine says 100% capacity down to 5°f, and efficient operation down to -13°f. Which I interpret as -13f is the point at which they equal efficiency of electric baseboard. Or COP goes to 1.

Plus they do a/c very efficiently.

Mine are Daikin. That and Mitsubishi and Fujitsu are likely the 'big 3'.

As I mentioned earlier, if I was in a frequent Polar Vortex location, I might consider differently. But since you said you were putting a split in anyway, put in a good cold climate one and you might find it is all you really need.

(Along with your existing stove that is...)

Back