Have an idea for a firewood processor trailer or aka bucking trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Started with a log arch to pick/drag logs on to trailer and cut them on trailer.then came up with this after seeing a you tube video .Have an idea but also have questions!! Want to put some kind of hydraulic lift that would lift the log up to a comfortable height to buck up and pieces roll on to trailer to be split. Be able to lift a 16' log{max} 20"dia max dia. Is this possible? I look up weight of a oak log 20" dia 16' long 2300 pounds. Mostly the logs will not be that big. I just used it as point to start. I was thinking on the side of the trailer. Any other ideas?? Thank you!! I know next to nothing about hydraulics.

Shouldn't be too hard. Look at the log loaders on portable sawmills.

You could also look at adding a boom and a winch.

The way I handle logs up to 60'' is to put a couple of wood wedges near the middle and wherever is needed. When I see pretty good limbs around 8'' I taper about 3 or 4' from 6'' down to 1''. Then I put one on top of the other and drive with a sledge hammer. When I get one end a few inches off the ground I fire up the saws. It is way more effective then trying to move the thing around and tug equipment every where. Thanks

What about a gantry with a chain-fall, electric one or hand one. Choke and lift, slide on gantry and set it down. Temporary at best but would be affordable, set up easily, and get you busy cutting. I think it would be an option for getting large rounds on a splitter as well. Noodling might be quicker.

as I understand what your saying a trailer to haul logs on then buck on , winch the logs up onto the trailer and have them set off the deck a short ways to easily buck them without hitting the trailer deck.

some first thoughts
what to use for a base trailer?

how fast do you plan to tow it ?

what do you plan to tow it with?

how many logs would you like to move at once ?

how will you move the logs out of the woods ?

I have seen bucking trailers usually a farm running gear with 4x6 across the bunks every 16 or 24 inches , but these were alwasy loaded with forks on a tractor or skid steer

Weight becomes an issue fast as does cost you have to run a lot of loads to justify the cost.

Started with a log arch to pick/drag logs on to trailer and cut them on trailer.

weight of a oak log 20" dia 16' long 2300 pounds.

Most of you have seen these before.
The point is, an arch is a specialty item with a specific, and limited, usefulness. You can haul most anything with a good trailer. The maximum length this arch can support without dragging is about 11'-12'. Longer logs can be lifted but interfere with the quad when turning. (Another long log option is another arch to support the tail.) Too much time can be spent trying to stage/rig groups of smaller logs. It works for milling logs, but for firewood, maybe/maybe not, as it might be more efficient to cut into rounds and load.

Attachments

• DSCF2149.jpg
    DSCF2149.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF2155.jpg
    DSCF2155.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 37
  • 1129101220a.jpg
    1129101220a.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 1014101348a.jpg
    1014101348a.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 37
  • 1031091512.jpg
    1031091512.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 38
thanks everybody for the reply's! I have 16' trailer now 6' wide 2' sides. The saw mill hyd log lift gave me some ideas. I was wondering if i use the log lift to not just load the logs but maybe hold log at a nice working height to buck up the log. The pieces would roll some how on to trailer to be split, Any thoughts on that?? Would gas driven hyd pump or an electric like on a dump trailer system? I have a f250 powerstroke. I pull logs out with my log winch and or the f250 to landing.

I cut split a sell wood full time. The other stuff is just to keep up on equipment. So I am always looking easier faster systems. I cut wood for two months and just leave it where ever it lies. Then follow up with a splitter and leave it where ever it lies. Then come back with a loader or elevator to load a truck until it is all gone . Any break in that routine cost me twenty percent more in labor than following the previous method. To move wood around when it serves no purpose seems like it is not the way to go. Thanks

Thanks for your reply Ted Jenkins. I can't do it the way you suggest because iam cutting on other peoples property alot of the time.

Trying to figure out hydraulic stuff for a log lift. Been told need alot of horse power. I don't understand why.

Back