Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 716302 Look what I dragged kicking and screaming out of it's dark hiding place. Been no rain for 3 days so I ran up and got the rest of the wood I had split at my spot.
Desperate times require desperate measures :eek:. Maybe you will be more motivated to get the others running now lol. The great thing is we have choices, we are truly blessed. Hope you get the others fixed soon.

Both are doing great. I saw my surgeon about 4 weeks ago for my 8 week follow up. He said every thing was going well and the next few weeks were the most critical in my rehab because, I was feeling good, all of the sutures were heeled, and the scar tissue wasn't stiffened up yet. I had a rehab apt the next day. Got there and they said my insurance had been terminated. I have Cigna insurance, Cigna has a spin off company that does all of their OT and PT billing, called American Specialty Health. ASH was sending my claims to the wrong address. I talked to them every day for three weeks and they refused to send the claims to the address on my medical card. They said they had their own number and that's the only one they would use. My insurance is through the Teamsters, I had to get the President of our Local to get up Cigna's butt and get things straightened out. Finally after missing 3 weeks of therapy they got it straightened out. I was still working at the gym on my own and making good progress. It just sucks that a third party can just stop all of your insurance because they are too stupid to read the address on your card.
Well glad your new rides are working well :).
Sorry the insurance company isn't working well with you. Good thing you have someone to fight for you. I have a similar deal going with an IRA that was transferred/sold to another company, I've got, our investor says it won't be a problem, good thing we "have people" lol.

Some of the wood I've been cutting lately (mostly Peppermint and some Stringy) we also have about 20 loads on the ground ready to be delivered when needed but still a long long way shy of what we will need this year I'm sure. I'm not much help to my mates but I do get in and try as best I can (bloody frustraiting being a fat bastard) anyway that's life I guess.

04zEBWpl.jpg
I think I like peppermint, that looks good :sweet:.

Can tou guus help me ID this?

Iv cut 2 if these down so far. Very white wood. Easy to cut. Long strait grain. SUPER easy to split. Easiest iv ever experienced. I feel like I could split it with my hand like the guy in the Geico commercial[emoji23][emoji23]. Half of a lazy axe swing will split a pc 23” in diameter right down the middle.

Both were 60’ tall and about 22”-23” diameter at the bottom. The picture makes the bark look way more green. Went outside in the natural light the bark looks very gray. Environment is in my woods, moist soil that drains well. Though close to my wetlands.

I’m wondering if this is a beech tree that has a beech bark disease. Looks a little moldy. The bark is very smooth with no furrows. Very thin.

Have not burned any yet

Im in L.P. Michigan

Thank you much guys

43f89df7c2a9910e715abed6f91d6c0f.jpg

4932b177acc4a7c36090144f6d18c0c9.jpg
69a0704a4bf9d63954df24fb0d1e0d2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can tou guus help me ID this?

Iv cut 2 if these down so far. Very white wood. Easy to cut. Long strait grain. SUPER easy to split. Easiest iv ever experienced. I feel like I could split it with my hand like the guy in the Geico commercial[emoji23][emoji23]. Half of a lazy axe swing will split a pc 23” in diameter right down the middle.

Both were 60’ tall and about 22”-23” diameter at the bottom. The picture makes the bark look way more green. Went outside in the natural light the bark looks very gray. Environment is in my woods, moist soil that drains well. Though close to my wetlands.

I’m wondering if this is a beech tree that has a beech bark disease. Looks a little moldy. The bark is very smooth with no furrows. Very thin.

Have not burned any yet

Im in L.P. Michigan

Thank you much guys

43f89df7c2a9910e715abed6f91d6c0f.jpg

4932b177acc4a7c36090144f6d18c0c9.jpg
69a0704a4bf9d63954df24fb0d1e0d2c.jpg

Looks like Tulip or Poplar. Very easy to split and a very light wood.

Some days are that way aren't they :rare2:.
Here's what I did today. It's a pretty good sized elm, the 28 on my 576 wouldn't reach through it, it was short by about 4". I used the skidding winch to encourage it to go where we wanted it, they were very concerned with it going the opposite way and hitting the high voltage wires :surprised3:, but I wasn't :cool:.
I like the large black locust stump, look at that back cut, the "farmers cut".
View attachment 716080 View attachment 716081 View attachment 716082 View attachment 716083
nice going. The winch is pretty darn useful. How are you getting your line in the trees? I've been hurling a shackle tied to some thin dyneema line but have my limits in distance, accuracy and patience. Have a big shot on order to see if that's any better.

Also, what line are you using? There are a few big gums here that I'll need about 200' of line out to stay out of dangers way, and I'll need to retain the option of cutting the line if the tree goes its own way, rather than slingshotting Nemo over a road or down a gully. But that much suitable strength dyneema rope is way out of my budget.

Im just so used to maple having branches way down low. But this one was deep in the woods so it was reaching for light. Branch’s were not present for the first 30 feet.

Im going with sugar maple now.

You guys rock!
Thank you for letting me pick your brains

Looks like young wood (limb) from some flavor of maple. What does the trunk bark look like?
:numberone:
I would guess, based on the description, Silver Maple.
:numberone:
I was thinking that too but was not sure.

Silver maple :yes:.
Yes, but the bark is not Sliver Maple. I'd say Sugar Maple.
Sure it is. Also if it was sugar maple there would be very little "fuzz" on the end where it's cut.
Im going with sift maple now.
No definitely not, none here in Michigan :laugh:.

nice going. The winch is pretty darn useful. How are you getting your line in the trees? I've been hurling a shackle tied to some thin dyneema line but have my limits in distance, accuracy and patience. Have a big shot on order to see if that's any better.

Also, what line are you using? There are a few big gums here that I'll need about 200' of line out to stay out of dangers way, and I'll need to retain the option of cutting the line if the tree goes its own way, rather than slingshotting Nemo over a road or down a gully. But that much suitable strength dyneema rope is way out of my budget.
Thanks. It sure is. I use a ladder and a choker when I'm using the winch.
I have a big shot for setting lines, it will get you where you want to be, but isolating a branch spar can be fun.
I have various ropes I can use that are 9/16', if I needed something real strong I'd get a 5/8. I usually use the winch set about 25' off the ground and that's enough to encourage most around here to do what you want them to, but if it wasn't I'd just set a line higher.

Back