Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first saw in the 1970s was a Mac 10-10 with a chain brake (if that helps date it), so I have a soft spot for yellow paint. You, Mark, have been on my radar ever since finding AS some years ago. What you are doing there is just too cool! I'm a Husqvarna guy now, although I have a Mac 555 in the shop as a nostalgia piece.

No matter the square- or cubic footage of your place, you'll need to expand in short order. You've just begun.

Excellent is all I can say.

The 2" is just a start, forms an airtight seal around the entire envelope. Combined with the open cell to fill all the spaces the walls should be R21 and the roof R32.

Mark
20190112_154138.jpg just had my new shop sprayed with 2 inches of closed cell foam as well. Currently heating it with 100000 btu furnace. The r values are not all that high but having a complete seal makes up for it.

I have a few NOS saws that will be on display but nothing really spectacular. I am planning more to overwhelm the visitors with the number of saws packed in a small area.

At the present moment in my current workshop:

View attachment 674768

Mark
I wish I still had my very first saw. McCulloch 2 man. Handle on the end of a 54(?) bar, about 1/2 inch pitch, latch would turn the gear drive bar any direction. Had Bicycle type handle bars. A slow running saw but cut anything and never bog down. It would make you deaf though. Never had to replace the pull rope which was a clear plastic coated steel cable. To be young again and have that monster. I think I would slab some big oaks and walnuts with it. Put it on a trolley to roll it through. Cheers. d

I wish I still had my very first saw. McCulloch 2 man. Handle on the end of a 54(?) bar, about 1/2 inch pitch, latch would turn the gear drive bar any direction. Had Bicycle type handle bars. A slow running saw but cut anything and never bog down. It would make you deaf though. Never had to replace the pull rope which was a clear plastic coated steel cable. To be young again and have that monster. I think I would slab some big oaks and walnuts with it. Put it on a trolley to roll it through. Cheers. d
I know of a few for sale if you are interested

I know of a few for sale if you are interested

1 part of me tells me yes, It was my very first saw in the early 70's and though hard to start and loud, I liked it. The other part says no. I am on my 4th cancer and the chemo makes me so weak I probably couldn't even crank it, but they were cool old saws in their own unique design and unlike the Poulan I had next that you had to crank it till it got warm to start it and once it got hot it quit, the Mac would run all day once started. I do not know how I used to run that big mac by myself back then but did. Cheers.

Work continues as schedules and weather permit. Outside, they have a good start on the LP siding on the front, and a spot for my sign all prepared. The electricians have installed the lights in the eyebrow so they can put the finishing touches on the front when conditions permit.

20190209_071031.jpg

The insulators have been working when they can get here, and the electricians have been working inside.

20190208_110905.jpg

20190215_133128.jpg

The drywall is mostly complete in the attic.

20190208_110158.jpg

It is increasingly difficult to remain patient.

Mark

Work continues, the electricians and plumbers are trying to get their work in the walls finished so the insulator can come back and finish. After that, drywall....

20190301_094228.jpg
The blue tubing is for the air lines, a sort of PEX with an aluminum sleeve inside. There is a second electrical panel in the office space since there are too many circuits for one panel alone.

20190301_094256.jpg
Mark

At my old house I built a 24x28 garage with a ten foot ceiling. I insulated the concrete floor, two 9’x9’ r15 doors, insulated the ceiling and walls, I had 4’ walls of cement because I weld. I did it all in 5/8’ sheet rock. Since it was attached to the house I did two sheets of 5/8’ sheet rock for fire proofing. Added a tempwood top loader woodstove. Once the garage was warmed up you could open one door and it stayed warm in the winter. I could work in a tee shirt in the wintertime. I miss it.

Back