Blow cold air towards stove...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i’ve been trying this for a few weeks now and I’m not sure if it’s making a difference or not. I was originally putting the fan in the room the stove is in and blowing the hot air from that room down the hallway.

Right now the fan is it down at the opposite end of the hall blowing cold air towards the stove.

Natural convection says it should work better but i feal by the time the cold air passes the incoming hot air it is no longer that warm when it reaches the end of the hall. Hall is about 30’ long, and straight.

And before someone suggest using the cold air returns to move the air through the house it would not work in my situation. The room at the end of the hall we are trying to move the warm air two is in addition to the house. The previous homeowner decided to put a small separate furnace in the basement just for that addition instead of putting one larger furnace in the whole house to accommodate it.

So our one furnace that is on the stove side never runs once all winter. The furnace on the other side will kick on here and there when we are in the single digits outside.

So,
Anyone form their own conclusions as to whether using this natural convection method works better or not?

I can DEFINITELY feel air moving into the room more but not sure if it is warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do that with a room at the back of my house and the stove in the front of the house. I have floor fans directing cold air towards the stove.

Colder air(which is heavier than hot air...think hot air balloon) will be near the floor, and putting a fan on the floor to blow it away from the stove doesn't work real well... You want to blow the cold air towards the stove, so it is reheated.

Might be apples to oranges... But at our last house I placed a small fan set on low (small 8" vornado fan) at the halfway point of the hallway blowing the cold air towards the pellet stove. Seemed to help circulate the air.

My stove is at one end of my house, and I use a combination of good quality doorway fans pointed away from the stove and small fans on the floor pointed toward the stove. I can tell a big difference when they are on as opposed to being shut off. I have thermometers set up around the house so I can verify it.

My want to consider running your furnace fan. Often times it is more efficient than running several box fans of ceiling fans.
My electronic T-stat has an option "circulate" which turns on/off blower fan about every 10-min to churn up the air and even out temps in the house.
I'm fortunate to have a home w/ a circular flow floor plan on the 1st floor. 1-box fan and kitchen, dining, living rm and entry way all get flow.
Gravity feed, "circulate", and extra blankets takes care of bedrooms on 2nd floor.

My want to consider running your furnace fan. Often times it is more efficient than running several box fans of ceiling fans.
My electronic T-stat has an option "circulate" which turns on/off blower fan about every 10-min to churn up the air and even out temps in the house.
I'm fortunate to have a home w/ a circular flow floor plan on the 1st floor. 1-box fan and kitchen, dining, living rm and entry way all get flow.
Gravity feed, "circulate", and extra blankets takes care of bedrooms on 2nd floor.

Did you read all my post?

That side of the house is a separate small furnace therefore the ducts are not connected and running the furnace fan would not move Air to that side

I appreciate all your input guys. I’m pretty sure it’s because I’m using the wrong fan so I’m hindering the effect a bit.

wife cannot sleep even if there’s a mouse farting in the room so we have to use the quietest fan we have which right now is a tower fan. The fan is too tall I need one a bit shorter closer to the floor.

Any suggestions for a nice quiet fan close to the floor that does not cost $300 like those Dyson fans[emoji23]

Big box fans are pretty reasonably priced and they move a lot of air even on low speed, with not a lot of noise. Less noise than a small fan running faster. One on the floor at the far end pointing to the stove. Then if I wanted to try for more I might add another fan up high in the stove room, or somewhere in between, pushing warm air to the cold part. Hard to find one though that you can get up high & have look decent & is also quiet.

Big box fans are pretty reasonably priced and they move a lot of air even on low speed, with not a lot of noise. Less noise than a small fan running faster. One on the floor at the far end pointing to the stove. Then if I wanted to try for more I might add another fan up high in the stove room, or somewhere in between, pushing warm air to the cold part. Hard to find one though that you can get up high & have look decent & is also quiet.

She would laying in bed eyes wide open elbowing me if I put a box fan in our bedroom[emoji23].

YGuess Ididn’t mention that the room the fan is going to be in at the end of the hallway is our bedroom.

I can sleep in a hurricane with the windows open

She would laying in bed eyes wide open elbowing me if I put a box fan in our bedroom[emoji23].

YGuess Ididn’t mention that the room the fan is going to be in at the end of the hallway is our bedroom.

I can sleep in a hurricane with the windows open

Um ya, OK, a big fan right in the bedroom itself could be an issue.

I'm not seeing any real good other options, aside from getting a fan somewhere so it would get as much warm air as possible moving toward the bedroom - but also letting the furnace for down there make up the difference. A stove is a space heater and sometimes a big compromise if trying to heat a whole house with it - sometimes the best you can do is reduce how much a furnace runs, rather than stopping it from running all together.

Right now the fan is it down at the opposite end of the hall blowing cold air towards the stove.
Hall is about 30’ long

30' is a long way to push air without being contained in ductwork. I use 2 small fans to get heat to turn the corner into our hall. Judging from my experience I would suggest you put one fan at floor level in the bedroom door blowing cold air out and another at the stove room door to push cold air from the hall into the stove room. Also a ceiling fan in reverse in the stove room will push heat down the walls and out the doors better than a fan near the stove will. You can also look into a thermal power fan to sit on the stove to get heat moving without electricity.

30 feet is a long hallway

a cold air return in the basement to pull air from the farthest end of the house and put it back at the stove might work the best. don't suppose there is any chance the floor joists run that direction?

I run 2 fans. One down low blowing cold air across the heater to one side of the room. I have another fan up high pushing the hot air that collects form the first fan, and pushing the hot air into the living room. The cool air returns down low next to the floor back to the room with the stove. Creating a circulation throughout the house keeping the whole house worm and cozy.
Hot air rises and cold air sinks, so doing this way works great.

30 feet is a long hallway

a cold air return in the basement to pull air from the farthest end of the house and put it back at the stove might work the best. don't suppose there is any chance the floor joists run that direction?

Joyce’s are going the wrong way and it have to go through a staircase[emoji23][emoji23]

I’m going to look for a small fan that sits way down at floor level and go from there.

I really appreciate all you input

I’m going to look for a small fan that sits way down at floor level and go from there.

I really appreciate all you input

Do you have a thermometer in your bed room so you can monitor the the effect running a fan pointing toward the fire has on the room? Could you use a larger box fan during the day to raise the temps and shut it off when sleeping? Most like a cooler room for sleeping.

I tried using a fan and it didn't help, I have a tri level so natural convection works best. Maybe a fan would help in a ranch style. also closing doors to rooms closest to the stove can help get heat to the farthest rooms.

Maybe I missed it, but is there an attic above your ceiling that you could put duct work in? How about getting one of those in-line 8" duct booster fans and some 8" insulated flexible duct. Put a ceiling vent in the room with the stove and use the duct booster to pump hot air to a ceiling vent in the bedroom. The fan could be in the attic above the stove, so noise would be distant and above the attic insulation.
upload_2019-2-20_17-30-31.jpeg

Latest posts

Back