Siberia logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Al

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Don't know if you guys get the TV programe as title a US guy trying to get into Russian owned forrest to clear some $500,000 of wood he set up a 4 man US & 3Russian guys the US crew were from Montana, First hrs programe last night came across as a complete shambles No idea if it is a made for TV "ar la "Axe Men or a genuine programe

Remember there was an add few years back to be on tv in russia logging, it looked sketchy as frig to begin with. If memory serves correctly it was a Craigslist add hiring loggers...

Not to mention US Russian relations at the time were on the up and up, only to be torpedoed by I think Ukrain or Syria.

Funny thing is I have a friend I went to school with that lives in Siberia, as a missionary, loves it there has a wife and kids over there now...

As for the show, think I've seen parts of it on youtube or sumsuch, its a whole lot of BS posing about and arguing about stupid ****, coupled with crazy often drunk russians doing incredibly stupid ****, like click bait but on TV

It was called Ice Loggers I think?

I forget what network had it, but it was on satellite several years ago.

nah Ice loggers was canadian chipper operations, also about as lame as could be...

Never heard of that one before.

I guess it was called Siberian Cut. Played in 2014.
Was the typical "reality" show...

"It's -80*, if they dont get this truck started in the next 15 seconds... THEY WILL DIE...."

I do remember the promo for that but I've been off cable for two years now. Can't justify $120/month for TV I don't watch . There are few logging related shows on TV that aren't a bunch of non sense.

I do remember the promo for that but I've been off cable for two years now. Can't justify $120/month for TV I don't watch . There are few logging related shows on TV that aren't a bunch of non sense.

American Loggers was somewhat reasonable as far as being accurate and realistic.
It was filmed in Maine, not far from where I grew up.
Even still though, I know of a few guys that quit. Pelletier wanted production, the camera guys didnt care, they wanted a show "make a tree fall 'danergously'" type stuff.
I do know they are pretty hard to work for. Easy come/easy go.

Remember there was an add few years back to be on tv in russia logging, it looked sketchy as frig to begin with. If memory serves correctly it was a Craigslist add hiring loggers...

Not to mention US Russian relations at the time were on the up and up, only to be torpedoed by I think Ukrain or Syria.

Funny thing is I have a friend I went to school with that lives in Siberia, as a missionary, loves it there has a wife and kids over there now...

As for the show, think I've seen parts of it on youtube or sumsuch, its a whole lot of BS posing about and arguing about stupid ****, coupled with crazy often drunk russians doing incredibly stupid ****, like click bait but on TV
https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2013/nov/27/reality-show-seeking-loggers-log-siberia-reality-t/

American Loggers wasn't that the show that mostly focused on the oversize off road trucks?

Largely mechanized and dudes beating the ever loving **** out of skidders for no good reason. Only going off a few Youtube vids that made me wanna vommit.

Al. It is on DMAX tomorrow it starts.
I get it 'free view' in London. 9:00 pm GMT
It is called "Siberian cut" and it is said their is a fortune in timber and the Americans want their cut...lol also they
say it's the new cold war.

Al. It is on DMAX tomorrow it starts.
I get it 'free view' in London. 9:00 pm GMT
It is called "Siberian cut" and it is said their is a fortune in timber and the Americans want their cut...lol also they
say it's the new cold war.
Cheers, That'll be 10pm for us I was" Gobsmacked at the shambolic goings on The US "Head Honco "seems completely out of his depth

American Loggers wasn't that the show that mostly focused on the oversize off road trucks?

Largely mechanized and dudes beating the ever loving **** out of skidders for no good reason. Only going off a few Youtube vids that made me wanna vommit.

I'd have to see whatever video you are talking about. Pretty hard to beat up a skidder.

It was filmed not too far from where I grew up and is decent "reality". To be honest, I can't imagine too many people would really be interested in what goes on in the woods 99% of the time. Can only watch equipment running for so long before it's quite boring!

Grapple skidded doing endless wheel stands.. gotta be good for the axles...

Or they could you know, maybe take 3 or 4 logs less each trip and move 3 times faster... but what do I know
Did you see it last night? I fell asleep and missed the first 25 min. Goofy show. Arguing in two different languages. Half subtitles. All buncher wood. Black spruce and maybe some white Spruce and Birtch I think.

Big fight over the specs. Russians cut a few of the understory in the stand.

Don’t forget Russia has twice the land mass, twice the natural resources, & half the population of the United States.

While this link/ show may indeed be click bait,
I assure you many of the silly or Stupid occurrences are everyday activities for that part of the world.

Bratsk, the winter of 2012-2013 looking out the bedroom window of my flat.
588b312fb82f58d323b99e1f57720e45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd have to see whatever video you are talking about. Pretty hard to beat up a skidder.

It was filmed not too far from where I grew up and is decent "reality". To be honest, I can't imagine too many people would really be interested in what goes on in the woods 99% of the time. Can only watch equipment running for so long before it's quite boring!
I take it easy on the skidder and still break ****.

I take it easy on the skidder and still break ****.

The skidder I run is about 30 years old, a 648D. It's certainly "loose in the hips", but I like it better than the much newer 648GIII we also have.

The worst I had was one Sunday I decided to go out and try and catch up a bit to the buncher. Was by myself, just went with my car, so no tools or anything.

Was the last couple pulls, almost getting dark. Pulling a pretty good hitch and all of a sudden I lose power and it stalls. Try to restart and nothing, just the clunk, clunk of the starter.

I was still recovering from a lung infection that past spring (I almost died from it) so not exactly breathing great. Thankfully I was dressed for the weather, it was maybe 5*.
The skidder was at the bottom of the property, so uphill the whole way, a good 1/2 mile. Enough of a slope that it's hard pulling for the skidder. Walking it will make your legs burn.

Took me a solid hour to get to my car. Walk 50-100ft until I was wheezing real bad and rest a few mins. Thankfully I had a skid trail to walk on at least, so the snow packed down for the most part.

Got back to town and we headed back out there with some fuel and tools. By this point it was about -10* and getting colder. We didn't want to leave it cause it would have been tough to get it going again.

Ended up being that it ran out of fuel and the battery connections had come loose. Well, actually wasn't really out of fuel, just low. The angle I was pulling was steep enough that it sucked in air.

Lost a tire on it last spring, that ended up being pretty expensive. Was able to find a place up north that deals with big equipment and got a pair of tires barged in from the L48 for reasonable.

The skidder I run is about 30 years old, a 648D. It's certainly "loose in the hips", but I like it better than the much newer 648GIII we also have.

The worst I had was one Sunday I decided to go out and try and catch up a bit to the buncher. Was by myself, just went with my car, so no tools or anything.

Was the last couple pulls, almost getting dark. Pulling a pretty good hitch and all of a sudden I lose power and it stalls. Try to restart and nothing, just the clunk, clunk of the starter.

I was still recovering from a lung infection that past spring (I almost died from it) so not exactly breathing great. Thankfully I was dressed for the weather, it was maybe 5*.
The skidder was at the bottom of the property, so uphill the whole way, a good 1/2 mile. Enough of a slope that it's hard pulling for the skidder. Walking it will make your legs burn.

Took me a solid hour to get to my car. Walk 50-100ft until I was wheezing real bad and rest a few mins. Thankfully I had a skid trail to walk on at least, so the snow packed down for the most part.

Got back to town and we headed back out there with some fuel and tools. By this point it was about -10* and getting colder. We didn't want to leave it cause it would have been tough to get it going again.

Ended up being that it ran out of fuel and the battery connections had come loose. Well, actually wasn't really out of fuel, just low. The angle I was pulling was steep enough that it sucked in air.

Lost a tire on it last spring, that ended up being pretty expensive. Was able to find a place up north that deals with big equipment and got a pair of tires barged in from the L48 for reasonable.

I did that once going down a hill. Low on fuel and sucked in air. Winter time too so I had to handle it right away. Of course it was 80 acres back to the truck and me being me had to carry 10 gallons back to make sure I had enough in the tank. I never did that again.

Is it me or do fuel problems always happen in the worst place?

After the first time I r as n mu old tractor out of gas, I make sure the machines are full every morning, still get randoms hose and filter issues, but I haven't ran out since.

Except a few weeks ago, I was driving someone else's service truck, gauge said it was full, but the gauge works on the side that was turned off...

Put the last 3 gallons out of the transfer tank in and limped it back...

Back