Jonsered 2171 Build with a 372xpw Top End, a Simple Work Saw Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Pile of parts scrambled eggs saw, a "clutter saw" like my UOMS 555/562 build...wanted a "Red" 372xpw that looks as good as the Jonsered's did... (R.I.P. Jonsered ) So I built one. The following is essentially the "assembly & build" video... And I cover the differences between the two product lines (372 & 2171). I happen to like the Original Edition versions of 372/2171 so THAT was the focus. AND since this is arboristsite.com I had to "Mod" something, so I cut a hole in the muffler. Now its a "Modded" 2171 :)

I've been thinking of picking up an XPW top end for mine. Nice vid.
Just remember if you do, a xpw doesn't have the RPM's and feel of a good 2171 50mm top end, some won't like them.:) I happen to and my customers love them. But for a GTG saw, or a cookie saw and tweaked 50mm might be better 4 u. Of course grinding out the restriction on the transfers, and doing the typical port timing mods a 372 OE 50mm top end likes on the 51.4mm version makes for an excellent sleeper 2172 for fun & GTG's.. ;) Me? I just like a 51.4mm xpw as they are. A personal preference thing. :) Hoping That saw along with my UOMS (which will probably turn into a 2260 )and HTSS 562 will live in the back of the truck for a long time....whether the video channel shows it or not...

Just remember if you do, a xpw doesn't have the RPM's and feel of a good 2171 50mm top end, some won't like them.:) I happen to and my customers love them. But for a GTG saw, or a cookie saw and tweaked 50mm might be better 4 u. Of course grinding out the restriction on the transfers, and doing the typical port timing mods a 372 OE 50mm top end likes on the 51.4mm version makes for an excellent sleeper 2172 for fun & GTG's.. ;) Me? I just like a 51.4mm xpw as they are. A personal preference thing. :) Hoping That saw along with my UOMS (which will probably turn into a 2260 )and HTSS 562 will live in the back of the truck for a long time....whether the video channel shows it or not...
That's probably why I haven't, I'm afraid of losing what I love about the 372 OE. You keep it in it's little happy zone and it'll really sing for you. All of my 21 series J-reds and 3 series Huskies are that way. The XTs are fine work saws, but not as fun to run.

That's probably why I haven't, I'm afraid of losing what I love about the 372 OE. You keep it in it's little happy zone and it'll really sing for you. All of my 21 series J-reds and 3 series Huskies are that way. The XTs are fine work saws, but not as fun to run.
The best way I can describe the xpw is its more like the XT power band. BUT less finicky and MORE of it...:)

Back