I was out snooping in my neighbors backyard...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We control the combustion by limiting rate of air (oxygen) flow into the firebox. Unless you get to the point where combustion gases are coming out into the room, then it is still a flow through the inlet and into the firebox, and then out and up the flue. If the damper is restricting the flow by increasing the pressure at the outlet, then it is preventing more fresh air from being drawn in.

It's a closed system. The air has to go in the inlet and out the flue. The highest pressure is in the room at the bottom, and the lowest is at the top of the flue. If you put too much of a restriction on the outlet and the flow raises the outlet pressure too much, then the firebox moves closer to room pressure and you get smoke in the room. That really can't happen with an inlet damper - but if you cannot fully limit the inlet air then you could end up not being able to control the flow of air into the firebox, and not being able to limit the burn rate.

It's really pretty analogous to an electrical circuit with a battery, a wire and some resistors.

This is also related to the age-old rule for a fireplace that says the area of the flue must be at least 10% of the area of the fireplace opening. This is so that the flue can draw air into the fireplace at a high enough rate that there is a slight drop in pressure inside the fireplace relative to the room. If the fireplace were not at a lower pressure compared to the room, there would be no reason for the smoke to stay in there, and it would just wander out into the room.

Thanks. This is good stuff. Gets me thinking in a different way. I've been heating with wood forever, and I know my stove so well I can adjust it to our liking with kindling, wood, inlet and flue damper adjustments. But I never took the time to think about what I'm doing from a more technical perspective.

There was a Texan, a Californian and an Oregunian sitting around the campfire one night,

The Texan takes a Big swig out of his Bottle of Tequila, Throws it into the air, pulls out his 6 shooter and breaks it mid air with One shot.

The Californian and Oregunian look at him, and say, that was a waste of good Tequila

The Texan Replies, I was feelin a bit Crazy, and we have Lots of Tequila in Texas.

Well the Californian thinks about it, takes a final sip from his bottle of White Zinfandel, tosses it in the air, pulls out his Uzi and after a Mag switch, hits it on the second bounce, and says what the Hell we have plenty of White Zinfandel in Cali

So the Oregunian stands up, drains his bottle of Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, tosses the bottle in the air, and quicker than the Texan has ever seen, the Oregunian unloads Both barrels of his Scattergun into the Californian, catches the Bottle then sits down and pops the cap on a Cold Henry's

The Texan stands there mouth open:surprised3:, What the Hell did you do that for?

The Oregunian looks at the Texan, and says, in Oregun, we have TOO MANY, Californians, and the Bottle is worth a Nickle, you do the Math

BTW the Bottle is now worth a Dime, but even at a Nickle, it was more valued in Oregun than a California transplant;)

Doug :cheers:

Back