Pine pitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Had a friend that has done me many favors over the years. He called me asking me if I wanted some pine logs that were at his shop just down the street. He asked if I wanted them and I said no, I don't do pine. Then he asked me to come cut it up to manageable sizes so he could burn it. I said I'll be down in a bit and just cut it up for you and you can burn it if you want. Well after I started cutting, the wood was full of supper rich resin pitch that was so strong it made my eyes water just cutting it. I called him back and said I would take it off his hands and he was glad to get rid of it. Looks like I will have plenty of fire starter next year.
Just returning a favor netted me some great pitch rich pine starter. Score!

I split some this afternoon and it will light if you even look at sideways. Lit a piece with a liter and it took off like a forest fire. :)
I was gonna just have him toss it but after seeing how much pitch it had, I brought it home with me. Cant beet free starter sticks.

I know what you mean a friend had a big pine go down , I helped him clean it up , it had a crack down the side for years just covered in sap it also fell form a storm in april and was off the ground , I didn't think much of pine but it sure gets a fire going in a hurry won't turn my nose up at pine any more , makes good startup wood even if it isn't so full of pitch.

lights like paper , burns hotter and longer than paper , makes other wood like oak get going well fast.

I know what you mean a friend had a big pine go down , I helped him clean it up , it had a crack down the side for years just covered in sap it also fell form a storm in april and was off the ground , I didn't think much of pine but it sure gets a fire going in a hurry won't turn my nose up at pine any more , makes good startup wood even if it isn't so full of pitch.

lights like paper , burns hotter and longer than paper , makes other wood like oak get going well fast.

I split a 1''x4'' piece and lit it and placed it on the ground. It burned very hot for about 15 min just laying flat on the ground.

mine isn't that fat but it sure lights fast off a handful of coals in the stove and gets everything else going quick.

Anyone burn spruce? i would assume it is similar to pine. I have a couple big spruce trees in my yard i would like to cut down. Was thinking of hauling them to the dump ( they have a tub grinder for making mulch) but would rather burn them. I know it can be a ***** to split

Was a lttle damp and chilly this morning so I splintered off a little piece (about the size of a long match stick) touched my lighter to it and we had a fire in quick min. Good stuff.

Anyone burn spruce? i would assume it is similar to pine. I have a couple big spruce trees in my yard i would like to cut down. Was thinking of hauling them to the dump ( they have a tub grinder for making mulch) but would rather burn them. I know it can be a ***** to split
@dancan is the SPRUCE man.:numberone:

pine is great, some better than others...some are moderately dense (ish) while others ...aren't. I had some last summer that had so much resin it made my eyes water when i was splitting it and being near the pie of splits wa a bit uncomfortable for several weeks! Dried fast and burnt hot....if a bit quick

You asked for it!

YAGpXPd.png

zeww.jpeg

zfascinating.jpg

My buddy's Dad was doing a logging job in the L48 and they got into a patch of pine that was really bad for the pitch.

He didn't didn't think too much about it when he sat down on a stump to eat lunch till he went to get up. Pants glued to the stump! Ended up having to toss them!

I can take about any pine here and make starter wood. Need to cut it in summer when sap is up. Leave in log lenghts and stack the wood off the ground and leave it until the bark starts to slip. Thats usually about a year. Then block and split. You can stack the splits close to the stove and the heat will make rosin bleed out. White pine does ok, yellow pine is better and the Virginia jack pines producing the best kindling wood. Jack pine also is the best source for pine knots. Loblolly being inbetween white and yellow pine.

Dries fast , burns clean and hot , low ash ,,, What's not to like :)
I'll take pine as well .

Back