Flying with chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Equipment rental place on the island?

What about a Poulan from Lowes? Buy it there, use it, leave it behind.
Is a plug-in electric an option?

That's not a bad idea if the OP can find one.
I need it for at least a week. I think I'm gonna buy. Either one of the cheaper 16" STIHLs from the dealer there, or more likely an Echo or Makita from HD since i have the card with no interest for 6 months. Would be nice to take my time doing the work and not cram it all in to one of the weeks like i would with a rental. (If there is one available).

I work at an airport and asked the TSA last year about this, as I wanted to take a saw internationally. Was told that it was pretty much a no go, if it had ever been fueled. No way to guarantee that all the fuel could be removed. Basically was told that completely disassembled, or a new saw in an unopened box would be the only way it would be permitted.
There’s a glass showcase in our main terminal, of some items that have been confiscated over the years, and a chainsaw is one of those items.

TSA was pretty cool about it when I asked, maybe because i work at the airport too, but was firm that there’s no wiggle room there. No exceptions.
If that's the case, then it can't be shipped USPS - since it would be traveling on a passenger plane.

If that's the case, then it can't be shipped USPS - since it would be traveling on a passenger plane.

That part... I couldn’t answer... My original inquiry with the TSA was, if I’d be able to check it as checked luggage. However, The TSA checks people, and passenger luggage. I’m not sure about US Mail, packages, cargo, etc. Could be wrong there though...

If you're in the mood for some research, you can start here:
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/welcome.htm
Saved you some time... here's your answer:
http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2006/html/pb22180/pb17f-s_002.html

"
Each of the items listed above is potentially mailable but only under one of the following conditions:

a. The item has never contained fuel, or

b. The fuel and all vapors have been completely purged from the item.

Note: If the item emits a fuel odor or if any residue is present on the outside or inside of the item, then the item is not completely purged.

Items containing fuel or fuel vapors are not mailable under any circumstances. Simply removing the fuel from an item does not make the item acceptable for mailing. Fuel tanks containing only vapors can have a greater explosion risk and thus become more hazardous than tanks that are full or partially full of fuel. The fuel must be removed, and all vapors must be purged to allow these items to be safely mailed."

Last year I was in Oregon and was given a beautiful poulan S25DA with bar and chain, it had not been ran in a while so didn’t smell like fuel or have any residue in it, I packed it in my regular suitcase with my clothes etc, when I got home in Maryland, yes from West coast to east coast, there was an TSA flyer in my case but all was accounted for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take your bars, chains,files etc etc with you. Buy a Stihl farm/ ranch saw when you get there - if your bars will mount. Donate to a non-profit disaster relief organization when you leave.

Write of the charitable donation and feel proud of your contribution. Having been through 4 federal disaster declarations, My community is thankful for everything that has been donated to our local non-profits disaster relief folks and the chainsaw volunteers after two tornados and one hurricane. The two floods are a different story.

A wee while ago now I jumped down this rabbit hole, trying to bring a few old saws with me from NZ to Canada, and then to send them from NZ to Canada. Despite some pretty clear IATA regulations, the bottom line is every carrier makes up their own policies and you'll be at the mercy of every carrier that might handle or process your luggage along the way. Then you'll have to argue the actual regulations with jumped up hall monitors who don't take kindly to their personal autocratic decisions that do not actually reflect their companies policy being exposed as not just batshit crazy but contrary to IATA regulations and the applicable special provisions.

The easiest way is to send it on a commercial shipment with the applicable purge certificates and declarations it meets the applicable special provisions. But only after confirming with the carrier they actually follow those regulations and haven't pulled more restrictive rules out of thin air.

There is no "ground" shipping from the continental US to Hawaii... I don't think the USPS uses boats. :laughing:
USPS Parcel Select, the new name for parcel post, does come surface. It adds 10 to 20 days to the delivery time depending on how long the package sits in Richmond, CA waiting for the ship, and how long it sits in Honolulu to be transferred to a barge for delivery to an outer island. Parcel Select often costs more than Priority Mail with 3 day delivery to Hawaii, especially if the item can be fit in a flat rate box.

USPS Parcel Select, the new name for parcel post, does come surface. It adds 10 to 20 days to the delivery time depending on how long the package sits in Richmond, CA waiting for the ship, and how long it sits in Honolulu to be transferred to a barge for delivery to an outer island. Parcel Select often costs more than Priority Mail with 3 day delivery to Hawaii, especially if the item can be fit in a flat rate box.
Excellent information - I stand corrected, although there is no "ground" transportation, there is "surface" transportation. :)

looks their are ace hardware stores there as well. poulan pro 5020's are normal stock items for most at around $230. But likely another MS250 will be around $300 then you have spare parts.

looks their are ace hardware stores there as well. poulan pro 5020's are normal stock items for most at around $230. But likely another MS250 will be around $300 then you have spare parts.
Some of my friends here are trying to talk me into one of the electric STIHLs. What do people think of them around here? I'd have to get the bigger battery since i'd need it to last all day.

What island did you buy on? If it's the Big Island I may be able to help you out.
Hello Pastryguyhawaii,
I was hoping to get one of my chainsaws to the Big Island in a checked bag but looks like it isn't a good idea. I am planning to clear some Christmasberry from my land near Naalehu next week. Any suggestions? Maybe I can rent one at South Point U-cart but I am not sure and just left a message on their phone. Any ideas? I really wish I could get my smaller Stihl over there but not worth shipping costs and don't want to risk sneaking one through in checked bag.

Back