Husqvarna 346 xp vs echo 501sx wich one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregorymk2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am not a pro i will use them for about 5 weekends per year for firewood I am between these two, I realy like 346xp but i think echo is also a very good chainsaw the price is about the same + 5 years warranty,service-parts for both of them is perfect.I would like some help wich one to choose,my previous saws partner 5000,
McCulloch 484 and 2 small 1 komatsu and 1 oleo mac.

I'd go with the one that has the best ergo's for you, pick them both up and see which ones feels best when your holding it.
They're both good saws.
I'd go with the 346 simply because there's spare parts for them everywhere locally but they might not be popular in Greece.

346 is a legend here to and there is parts support for 15 -20 years ,2 husqvarna dealers claimed the same about parts and service , also echo has great service and parts access so after in my hometown is not a problem for neither one.I will get the echo cs501sx (I like it very much) in my hands next week just to feel it ,my only "concern" is that husky has been around for 20years I believe since 99,i would like something not so old because I plan to run it for (amateur careful use) 15-20 years but probably I will go for the husky.Thank you for your help.

346 is a legend here to and there is parts support for 15 -20 years ,2 husqvarna dealers claimed the same about parts and service , also echo has great service and parts access so after in my hometown is not a problem for neither one.I will get the echo cs501sx (I like it very much) in my hands next week just to feel it ,my only "concern" is that husky has been around for 20years I believe since 99,i would like something not so old because I plan to run it for (amateur careful use) 15-20 years but probably I will go for the husky.Thank you for your help.

Which town are you from?I am asking because in my town Echo parts is like hunting ghosts.Anyway i was in your shoes a couple months ago and i finally bought an Echo cs 490 from Ebay only because it was cheap(320€ to my door including shipping and customs fees).I didn't fired it up yet,i only did the mods(muffler and limiter caps).There is a Maruyama MCV5100S in a Greek e-shop (i can give you the link if you want) for 388€ which is a hell of a deal if it is true,much better saw than both the 346 and the 501.Otherwise since you are gonna use the saw only a few weekends,an Efco 152 for 377€ would be a better choise also.I don't know what prices the dealers gave you,i am talking based on the prices i see on the net which are ~500€ for the 501SX and 550€ for the 346XP when you can get a Makita EA6100 for 540€.

Which town are you from?I am asking because in my town Echo parts is like hunting ghosts.Anyway i was in your shoes a couple months ago and i finally bought an Echo cs 490 from Ebay only because it was cheap(320€ to my door including shipping and customs fees).I didn't fired it up yet,i only did the mods(muffler and limiter caps).There is a Maruyama MCV5100S in a Greek e-shop (i can give you the link if you want) for 388€ which is a hell of a deal if it is true,much better saw than both the 346 and the 501.Otherwise since you are gonna use the saw only a few weekends,an Efco 152 for 377€ would be a better choise also.I don't know what prices the dealers gave you,i am talking based on the prices i see on the net which are ~500€ for the 501SX and 550€ for the 346XP when you can get a Makita EA6100 for 540€.
Geia soy kosta the prices you saw are correct,i found the shop with maruyama but i would like to stay with these 2 options because there's guaranteed and trusted service and parts 10 min from my house thanks anyway.Town Patra.I will be back to you about the mufler etc if i end up with echo{490 & 501} have the same engine correct?Echo dealer here (the oldest shop because there are others 2 or 3 in Patras)has been servicing and selling echo for 40 years so there is no problem here like yours.

You are saying a Maruyama MCV5100S(dolmar makita 5100) is a much better saw than a husky 346? I can see a 6100 as an alternative but a 5100 is not a 346xps equal.

You are saying a Maruyama MCV5100S(dolmar makita 5100) is a much better saw than a husky 346? I can see a 6100 as an alternative but a 5100 is not a 346xps equal.

I meant to say a better choice since the 5100s is at ~400$ and the 346 is at ~600$,which one would you buy?I am talking about prices in my country.

Geia soy kosta the prices you saw are correct,i found the shop with maruyama but i would like to stay with these 2 options because there's guaranteed and trusted service and parts 10 min from my house thanks anyway.Town Patra.I will be back to you about the mufler etc if i end up with echo{490 & 501} have the same engine correct?Echo dealer here (the oldest shop because there are others 2 or 3 in Patras)has been servicing and selling echo for 40 years so there is no problem here like yours.

There are quite a few differences between the 490 and the 501 but they are both based on the same platform.CS 501SX is stronger than the 490 as well,a better saw.Anyway since you have no problem about the parts(not that you are going to need any parts for the Echo) i say go for the 501SX.I am here for what ever you need,feel free to ask.

There are quite a few differences between the 490 and the 501 but they are both based on the same platform.

CS-490 is basically CS-500 with plastic handle, while CS-501 is improved CS-500 (more power, captive bar nuts, a bit lighter and some other minor improvements).

Mentioned models CS-501SX, 346xp and PS5100 are comparable in terms of performance, 2nd has outboard clutch, 3rd is ~0,5 kg heavier. Given the prices ~500, ~550, 388 € then if weight is not important, I'd take the last one. Otherwise take the one which fits better in your hands.

pavel408:I didn't want to confuse him even more with the differences between the 490 and the 501 which are plenty like different carb for the 501,different-better intake,piston/cylinder better on the 501,decompression valve and standard starting system for the 501,no decompand recoil with spring assist for the 490 (which sucks IMO),different coil with better ignition map(i think) for the 501,i think theese would be all.As far the other things you said i agree that weight plays a huge role,outboard vs inboard clutch has its thing as well,sideways balance matters too(haha,i always wanted to write this) but all that stuff is for pros.The op said he is gonna use the saw for 5 weekends per year,i don't think 500 grams would change his life.If it was me,i would grab the strongest and cheapest saw available which for our country is the 5100s.

Something irrelevant,Echo designed an inboard clutch saw with a nut on the crankshaft end and for bonus they've put a rim setup :angry:.Why am i suppose to put a piston stop or a rope in my never fueled saw to change the rim is beyond my understading.

The Echo CS-490 is a TURD in comparison to a Husqvarna 346XP. I haven't ran a CS-501 yet but it would need to be a LOT stronger than a CS490 to be anywhere close to a 346XP.

I'm pretty fond of Echo and many of their products, but they make some "low end" and "mid-range" stuff that is just OK to decent, where other models in their line-up really shine. On this one my vote goes to the 346XP, at least until I get my hands on a CS-501 for testing........Cliff

The Echo CS-490 is a TURD in comparison to a Husqvarna 346XP. I haven't ran a CS-501 yet but it would need to be a LOT stronger than a CS490 to be anywhere close to a 346XP.

I'm pretty fond of Echo and many of their products, but they make some "low end" and "mid-range" stuff that is just OK to decent, where other models in their line-up really shine. On this one my vote goes to the 346XP, at least until I get my hands on a CS-501 for testing........Cliff

Both saws broken in and muffler modded-properly tuned?Or the 346 well broken in and tuned and the 490 just out of the box?I am asking because the 490 are way restricted from the factory plus a few vids on youtube shows otherwise.I have my 490 waiting inside the box and i never run a 346xp,just what i see on the net.

I don't modify Husqvarna Pro saws other than removing limiter caps if they show up with them.

I remove the limiter caps from all Echo saws and open up the mufflers if/as needed before they are fired for the first time.

The CS-490 is not on par with a 346XP at any level, when it comes to power and cutting performance......IMHO......Cliff

PS: I've never ran the CS-501, but did watch a clip of one recently and it appears to be significantly stronger than the CS-490 everyplace.....

I have zero experience with either the Husky 346 XP or Echo 501 SX. I do however own a CS490 and found it to be a bit underwhelming out of the box. I have since removed the limiter caps and did a muff mod. After a re-tune, the CS490 is doing much better. I believe there is still room for more power as the engine breaks in even more. The muff mod really helped it breathe better. It was very restricted from the factory.

Echo chainsaws needs a lot of run time to break in,the 490 will shine after 10 tanks of run time.Thats what i've been told.

At 12,000 RPM's the piston is coming to the top of the hole well over 100 times per second. They will be well seated in pretty quickly, trust me on that deal.

I work on power equipment (among other things) for a living. The CS-490 is pretty "weak" right out of the box, and a tad better after removing the limiter caps and adding some fuel, and modifying the restrictive muffler.

I just bought, modified, correctly adjusted and sold one.

IMG_4511.JPG IMG_4504.JPG

I ran a couple of tanks thru it and put it up for sale. It cut pretty well, but not even in the same league as my CS-510 or either one of my Husqvarna closed port 55's, and certainly wouldn't hold a candle to a 346XP.........IMHO.......Cliff

Back