026 Air Filter Penetration??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD MARK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought an 026 that didnt run. After new fuel lines (pinched) and a bad air filter, seemed to run great. Doing some checks after 5 tanks ran through and it seems the air filter is "blowing" by.

Bought a "1121 120 1601" metal mesh cause I read how hard they are to get and better. Looking at pictures it seems that there is plenty of saw dust inside. This the right filter? Its plastic (filter housing) on metal (carb). Seems to me it could benefit from a rubber gasket.

20190224_191555.jpg 20190224_191606.jpg 20190224_191623.jpg 20190224_191655.jpg 20190224_191714.jpg 1551054293807.jpg 20190224_191542.jpg

The 026 air filter wire mesh is part no. 1121 120 1611, this should be the filter that you have. Often the part no. on the part itself isn`t the right part number that you use to buy or order it.

Bought an 026 that didnt run. After new fuel lines (pinched) and a bad air filter, seemed to run great. Doing some checks after 5 tanks ran through and it seems the air filter is "blowing" by.

Bought a "1121 120 1601" metal mesh cause I read how hard they are to get and better. Looking at pictures it seems that there is plenty of saw dust inside. This the right filter? Its plastic (filter housing) on metal (carb). Seems to me it could benefit from a rubber gasket.

View attachment 718216 View attachment 718217 View attachment 718218 View attachment 718219 View attachment 718220 View attachment 718221 View attachment 718222
i have run both the metal and flocked filters. IMO the flocked does better. the 026 's are notorius for poor air filters. one thing to try is a lite coat of grease around the seam of the 2 halves. some guys have cut duct tape to cover the seams. most AM filters for the 26 are junk.

one thing to try is a lite coat of grease around the seam of the 2 halves. some guys have cut duct tape to cover the seams. most AM filters for the 26 are junk.

I was going to high temp caulk it shut. Maybe.

What's the best filter then? I went with this one after doing a search on here and this seemed to be the consensus. Bought at a Stihl dealer $26

Stihl is pretty notorious for crappy air filtration (they had to invent “intellicarb” to overcome clogged air filters...). As said above, the 026 is about the pinnacle of failure.

I was going to high temp caulk it shut. Maybe.

What's the best filter then? I went with this one after doing a search on here and this seemed to be the consensus. Bought at a Stihl dealer $26
I use both. Never was able to get away from the fines inside the filter .I don't think I would caulk it because it might be hard to take part to clean. The flocked filter has a bit of flocking around the carb hole and might be a little better IMO. I keep a spare on hand so i always have a clean one on hand. This first pic shows the flocking around the carb hole although it is starting to wear off. The second is my clean one greased ready to put on. Another tip is to make sure the clamp is tight on the manifold boot.
20190225_110159.jpg 20190225_110211.jpg

Decided to put it back together with some grease between the halves.

I'll run another 5 tanks through and see if it helped any or not. I'm thinking of making a small gasket between filter and carb and permanently sealing filter together might end up being the best option here.

Decided to put it back together with some grease between the halves.

I'll run another 5 tanks through and see if it helped any or not. I'm thinking of making a small gasket between filter and carb and permanently sealing filter together might end up being the best option here.
keep us posted Mark. i like to pull the filter and blow it out after 2 or 3 tanks just because i know how bad it can get.:angry:

Unless your saw is ported, run a flocked filter.

The metal AF flow the best, but really aren’t necessary unless the engine has been modified for more output.

Even in ported saws if dry dusty cutting is gonna happen, I swap to flocked.

You can also try modifying the AF cover on the saw by adding a “Frogzskin”. They are small stick on membrane filters that change airflow in the air box and many times make your AF stay cleaner. Even when I don’t add them, I run the AF box with the black Winter/Summer flap out completely.

I bet if you run your saw for a tank or two with no AF cover, you see nearly no debris on your filter surface. It’s almost like Stihl figured out a way to get the most fines into the air box. Guys running open backed max flows get nearly no debris on their filters.

It’s completely odd.

Back