Husqvarna 346 xp vs echo 501sx wich one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo chainsaws needs a lot of run time to break in,the 490 will shine after 10 tanks of run time.Thats what i've been told.
Pretty spot on. About 8 tanks with my 620. Pretty big difference compared to other saws also, my 562xp didn't seem to change all that much but the echo was fairly significant .

At 12,000 RPM's the piston is coming to the top of the hole well over 100 times per second. They will be well seated in pretty quickly, trust me on that deal.

I work on power equipment (among other things) for a living. The CS-490 is pretty "weak" right out of the box, and a tad better after removing the limiter caps and adding some fuel, and modifying the restrictive muffler.

I just bought, modified, correctly adjusted and sold one.

View attachment 718441 View attachment 718442

I ran a couple of tanks thru it and put it up for sale. It cut pretty well, but not even in the same league as my CS-510 or either one of my Husqvarna closed port 55's, and certainly wouldn't hold a candle to a 346XP.........IMHO.......Cliff

Cliff
I have both a CS500 and a CS501p, they do NOT break in fast and gain a lot after break in. Gutless and no torque at first and pull really good with Echo like torque after being broke in, I opened up the muff a little more than just removing the tube on the CS500 and its real close if not even with the CS501 p/ The Cs590 600 and 620 plus the CS400 don't seem to gain much or need to with break in but the 500 and 501 break in slow. Steve

Steve, I've done three CS-490's, the first two had 18" bars, this recent one had a 20". NOT quite enough power for the 20" bar, but did OK if you didn't push it real hard.

The first CS-490 I set up was for commercial use, did a CS-590 for the same customer at about the same time. He's had both back here a few times for me to fine tune the carburetors and give them a once-over. The CS-490 runs well for what they are, but even well seated in they aren't even close to my CS-510 or either one of my Husqvarna closed port 55's.

The CS-490 is more on par with my Husqvarna 50 Special with a broad/flat/smooth power curve. Great firewood saws, light for the CC's, excellent ergonomics and very well built overall. Love the inboard clutch, every saw ever built should have one.....IMHO......Cliff

Here a vid of a CS490 vs a 346xp, real close and the CS490 is tuned rich. I'll run my CS500 against on of my CS520 with the same bar and chain and I'll bet they are close to each other with the Cs520 being slightly ahead but not by much. Those CS520 are real strong saws. Steve

Kind of interesting really because I'd tend to agree with Cliff before I owned the 620. But I keep wondering what is it that is causing some of the echos a long break in? I know with building other engines things like block hardness can make a difference, but saws are chrome plated and I wouldn't think there's much difference from one to the other. So harder factory rings or maybe a contour that needs more beading in?

Lots of things are "breaking-in" with a new saw. There is considerably "drag" in the bar and chain as well. So after a few tanks and a couple of chain adjustments you'll have less resistance and it will cut faster. Another BIG deal is that I "touch-up" new chains before placing them in service. The ground factory cutters will not cut as fast as ones you've touched up correctly with a file. So if you are making cutting comparisons right out of the box, then touch up the chain after the first tank or two of fuel, it's going to cut faster (assuming you are good at hand filing).

The piston, rings and cylinder set pretty quickly and Echo does a very good job of plating their cylinders, fitting pistons, high quality rings and correct finish, etc.

I've never really noticed any of mine picking up power after running them in some. Next time I get a CS-590 in here I'll pull a compression test before firing it, then another one after each tank of fuel I run thru it to see if things improve some........Cliff

Here a vid of a CS490 vs a 346xp, real close and the CS490 is tuned rich. I'll run my CS500 against on of my CS520 with the same bar and chain and I'll bet they are close to each other with the Cs520 being slightly ahead but not by much. Those CS520 are real strong saws. Steve

Why is the log moving around so much with the 346? Is the bar groove so worn that you have to shake the saw to make the chain bite? It's not close if you only pay attention to when the log is stable.

Looked like the Husky is a higher revver with a narrower power curve. Bogged a couple of times.
The Echo with what looked to be a slightly longer bar just chugged along.

The miniscule difference in time, to me, is insignificant. Maybe if the 346 was more available here, and could be had new for close to what a 501P can be bought for, I'd be indecisive as well.

I got a 490 for less than half the cost, and it hasn't disappointed. Sure I wish it had come with the aluminum handlebar and lighter starter setup, but still a good solid saw so far.

Looked like the Husky is a higher revver with a narrower power curve. Bogged a couple of times.
The Echo with what looked to be a slightly longer bar just chugged along.

The miniscule difference in time, to me, is insignificant. Maybe if the 346 was more available here, and could be had new for close to what a 501P can be bought for, I'd be indecisive as well.

I got a 490 for less than half the cost, and it hasn't disappointed. Sure I wish it had come with the aluminum handlebar and lighter starter setup, but still a good solid saw so far.
That seems to be par for the course when comparing husky and echo. 620 verse 562 is just a scaled up version of what you just seen. From my testing I don't know what bar the 620 will finally fail to pull, I gave up at 32".

He says it in the description,32" skip tooth 3/8.It seems to me that it screams a lot,i don't remember now but i will search his thread at what rpms it was running.

I'm just used to seeing the husky/stihl/Dolmar 50ccs ported. But they're never captured with that much bar. I can't imagine a 490 oils it all that well.

No idea but I know the 620/ 680 are oiling Champs. I think I've herd that the 590 also oils it's ass off, probably the same pump as the 620. I was running the 32" on the 620 with straight canola, zero issues and the bar stayed fairly cool. Come to think about it, my old echo top handle oils way more then it needs to also.

Back