Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not so bad normally its in the 30°F/ 0°-ish C by now.

The cold doesn't worry me, I love it but all that snow would be a PITA I reckon, I like snow don't get me wrong we get it here 3 or 4 times over winter on average but it's nothing like what you lot have to deal with, ours is usually anywhere from say 5cm up to a max of 40cm but the upper end would be more like 10cm or so on average I guess and only hangs around for a day if that most of the time unless its a bigger dump then it may last a day or 2.

We certainly don't need machines to clear the roads or our driveways:D

How many cords do you have now? That stuff in the back looks pretty well seasoned.
It is definetly not. Been on the ground and we get wet winters here. Way more rain than snow. Alot of it is rotted garbage. I might get 2 to 2 1/2 cords out of it. Total cords on the property is probably less than 10 but I would have to take measurements to get a better estimate.

It is definetly not. Been on the ground and we get wet winters here. Way more rain than snow. Alot of it is rotted garbage. I might get 2 to 2 1/2 cords out of it. Total cords on the property is probably less than 10 but I would have to take measurements to get a better estimate.

Well I think he was talking about the stacked stuff in the background looking well seasoned. Logs lying in mud for months, well see how it looks when it's cut and split. It'll stihl burn and if it's half rotted then maybe it'll dry quicker...

Fubared my new sugi 42" bar. From now on no more big tree drops unless it's a no-brainer. At least until I get some serious rope and good jacks. Trouble is, I was eying up the next big one that doesn't require manipulation off its lay and... Even the new 42" bar mkIII that hasn't arrived yet may not make it through from both sides.

Might have to use the 72”. I didn't think there'd come a day where a 32" bar seems small.

These big heavy gums are kicking my arse. I still cannot quite believe how much weight is in big gum trees. These make pine seem like balsa.

Fubared my new sugi 42" bar. From now on no more big tree drops unless it's a no-brainer. At least until I get some serious rope and good jacks. Trouble is, I was eying up the next big one that doesn't require manipulation off its lay and... Even the new 42" bar mkIII that hasn't arrived yet may not make it through from both sides.

These big heavy gums are kicking my arse.
You need to make your notch then use 4 lbs of Tannerite. Cheaper than a 42” Sugi bar.

You need to make your notch then use 4 lbs of Tannerite. Cheaper than a 42” Sugi bar.
The rope I have been putting off buying is very expensive. Red dragon should have been a day to drop and clean up, but it turned into 4 1/2 days after it bit me. That plus the cost of new bars and now all over again on this latest screw up makes the cost of dyneema rope not so bad after all. I'm hard of learning and it takes a while for lessons to sink in, darn it.

I might have to learn how to climb and limb, but I'd still need a 32” on the 7900 as my limbing saw!

file-47.jpeg

Above, found a tree company taking down some nice red oak and some elm and water oak mixed in as well. And below some live oak limbs from another tree company. This will be great burning in a couple of years! Going to start splitting this tomorrow now that there is a break in the rain.

file1-16.jpeg

View attachment 719137

Above, found a tree company taking down some nice red oak and some elm and water oak mixed in as well. And below some live oak limbs from another tree company. This will be great burning in a couple of years! Going to start splitting this tomorrow now that there is a break in the rain.

View attachment 719136
@TeeMan Looking at your first pic I see a blue spot on one piece of wood. There may be metal in that piece or the one that was next to it.

@TeeMan Looking at your first pic I see a blue spot on one piece of wood. There may be metal in that piece or the one that was next to it.

There are some large rounds we need to cut down to size to fit in the splitter. We will double check for any metal. That piece should fit in with no further cutting down. Thanks for the head's up.

Back