462 on the Stihl US website

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that’s not the final photo of the 462 R they’re bringing stateside. No big clutch cover or roller chain catcher, not even an outer dog is pretty disappointing.

You shouldn’t have to add them. Every other saw Stihl has sold under the R designation has had them, from the 60 cc class all the way up to the 880. They’ll probably have a $100 price premium still, then add $40 in parts.

If the R designation means just a wrap handle now, I’ll add all the parts to a stock saw for $100.

You don't have to add them.

You don’t strictly, but those few parys were just as useful as the wrap handle for cutting timber. Throw a long chain brushing out? Good luck not messing it up when it hits that metal bent piece/sprocket, or how much it hurts when it hits your hand on the wrap handle. Like having the saw actually be able to support it’s own weight when you’re falling a big tree with thick bark? You need the bigger dawgs both inner and outer. Like not being covered in chips and having them flow better? That’s where the big side cover has always been useful.

You’re right, you don’t strictly need them, but they are useful if you use the saw to production fall trees. They were on all the prior saws Stihl had sold under the R designation, and Stihl can do whatever they want, but I’m disappointed.

As far as the oiler goes... The stock Stihl oilers are fine, they just usually need to be turned up from the “e” setting. The new tiny oiler holes on Stihl bars are a problem too, they usually see a little drill action in my shop.

I’m not running a longer bar with a newer Stihl and not a large Oiler, or punching the pin on the newer saws. I’m also not paying Stihl for one of there bars, I’ll take a Sugi/Tsumura first.
To me they don’t oil fine with the largest “recommended bar”, and I’m referring to any newer Stihl.

RIP 441 and 461!
462 you have some big shoes to fill. Time will tell.

I wonder if the 441 and 461 production will continue for global markets. If so, we should have no problem getting our hands on them if the 462 falls short. In the mean time ill be happy to give it a whirl.

Wow, if I decide to get another saw, looks I will probably be going to the dark side. That 72cc saw is 13lbs. The Husqvara 59cc is 13.4lbs. Instead of the ported 60cc class, I'll just run a stock 70.

I see the 462 as a remake of a 440 . Less saw than a 460, only 72 cc ,max bar of 28 inches ?? W.t.f ? Stihl needs a model in between the 462 & the 661. Just my two cents worth. But this is typical pay more & get less.

I see the 462 as a remake of a 440 . Less saw than a 460, only 72 cc ,max bar of 28 inches ?? W.t.f ? Stihl needs a model in between the 462 & the 661. Just my two cents worth. But this is typical pay more & get less.

I agree the 462 is more a replacement for the 441. I think the 500i is going to be the true replacement for the 461. I’m saving up for a 462, which I don’t really need. By the time I have the money I wonder if the 500i will be released in the States, or will it see a delay in introduction like the 462. Maybe I’ll just wait for a 500i that I also don’t really need.

Ding ding ding. This is spot on. Was deciding between a 462 and 661 and came to this conclusion. Went with the 661. Likely going to pick up a 461 just to keep in the box as I think the DI saws are going downhill from here.

Back