Stupid question, really

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Coolen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Just acquired a well used Stihl 038 Mag. Got it from a local fella, traded him a working 025 for his non working 038. Didn't know it was a mag till I checked crankcase numbers. Anyhow, he said it had no spark, he replaced the coil, still no go. That's when he contacted me and proposed a trade. He threw in a new chain and some cash to boot. Got it home, set the air gap on the coil, two pulls and it goes...like a raped ape. Should I give the bloody thing back? (He's my bro in laws neighbour) I currently have an 038 AVEQ FB...but we all know...

Hey guys.
Just acquired a well used Stihl 038 Mag. Got it from a local fella, traded him a working 025 for his non working 038. Didn't know it was a mag till I checked crankcase numbers. Anyhow, he said it had no spark, he replaced the coil, still no go. That's when he contacted me and proposed a trade. He threw in a new chain and some cash to boot. Got it home, set the air gap on the coil, two pulls and it goes...like a raped ape. Should I give the bloody thing back? (He's my bro in laws neighbour) I currently have an 038 AVEQ FB...but we all know...
Sounds like you already know what you are going to do. Whatever makes you sleep better.

Don't hide the facts from him, cause every time U run into him it'll haunt ya. And if he finds out from someone else thing could go south. Like others have said. Who knows, he may say; "keep it". Either way, y'all will be good friends with a story behind it.

Tell him you got the saw running and see what he says, I've done it before, most of the time I was told to keep it.

Steve
Yeah. I am going to get in touch with him tomorrow, spoke to the bro in law. He knows the fella better than I do. He agrees that the man in question will more than likely want to keep the smaller, lighter saw. I have no need for the 038 mag, already having one. I offered to repair his saw at the time of making the trade, but he said that he was content with the trade arrangement. Sometimes my honesty and conscience gets the better of me. I will see what he has to say in the morning. Just wanted to air it out here I guess.

Yeah. I am going to get in touch with him tomorrow, spoke to the bro in law. He knows the fella better than I do. He agrees that the man in question will more than likely want to keep the smaller, lighter saw. I have no need for the 038 mag, already having one. I offered to repair his saw at the time of making the trade, but he said that he was content with the trade arrangement. Sometimes my honesty and conscience gets the better of me. I will see what he has to say in the morning. Just wanted to air it out here I guess.
Good man! I found 2400.00 dollars on the street and a guys credit cards and license! I looked up his address on the license and gave it back. Got a nice reward of 400.00 . The thing that stuck in my mind later was when he told me the money was sitting on the bumper of his car and he forgot it. He was going to Atlantic City to gamble with all of it :dumb:

I found a money clip at the beach once. Just a money clip, no ID. It was thick enough that it got my attention when I ran over it in the parking lot as I was leaving.

I found a money clip at the beach once. Just a money clip, no ID. It was thick enough that it got my attention when I ran over it in the parking lot as I was leaving.
Did you post an ad on local lost and found? Call local police department?

I paid my rent that month. I was in Japan. Even if I had walked around the area, I didn't speak the lingo so I couldn't ask people if they had lost something and if so could they describe it. It was also a popular remote dive location. No local English speaking authorities. I looked around for someone walking the lot with their head down, shrugged my shoulders and went home.

***UPDATE ***

Contacted the gentleman this morning, told him his old saw was up and running again. His reply was "I'm happy with the saw I got from you, I hope the 038 serves you well with whatever you choose to do with it"

So I guess I now own an 038 Mag with a 20" bar.
Thanks to all for your comments and stories.

***UPDATE ***

Contacted the gentleman this morning, told him his old saw was up and running again. His reply was "I'm happy with the saw I got from you, I hope the 038 serves you well with whatever you choose to do with it"

So I guess I now own an 038 Mag with a 20" bar.
Thanks to all for your comments and stories.
If you had just kept quiet you would not have been dishonest, but I've been in your shoes and did the same thing as you.

Good man! I found 2400.00 dollars on the street and a guys credit cards and license! I looked up his address on the license and gave it back. Got a nice reward of 400.00 . The thing that stuck in my mind later was when he told me the money was sitting on the bumper of his car and he forgot it. He was going to Atlantic City to gamble with all of it :dumb:
All I can say is " I'm glad U put 'Whitey' back up for your Avatar." :numberone::clap::cheers:

Back