Switching oils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Maybe dumb question but is it a concern to switch back and forth between different types of 2 stroke oil? We use the stihl hp ultra oil at 50:1 but we also have some echo powerblend oil from when we bought a echo weedeater. Would mix that at 50:1 as well and always use e free gas. We are running mostly stihl ms441rcm and ms261cm. Or would I be better of just using the echo oil for the weedeater? How good of oil is the echo powerblend?

Only the Red Armor is cult related. The Powerblend isn’t good enough for the oil snobs.

I believe Powerblend is better oil. It meets FD ratings while Ultra is FB.

I use the 40:1 bottles of synthetic FVP from Menard’s

I use the husqvarna two stroke oil in my husky saws, most of my other brands of chainsaws and my log splitter on occasion got some mix in it to keep the upper cylinder and valves happy happy. I’m back to 40:1 also.

Maybe dumb question but is it a concern to switch back and forth between different types of 2 stroke oil? We use the stihl hp ultra oil at 50:1 but we also have some echo powerblend oil from when we bought a echo weedeater. Would mix that at 50:1 as well and always use e free gas. We are running mostly stihl ms441rcm and ms261cm. Or would I be better of just using the echo oil for the weedeater? How good of oil is the echo powerblend?

No its not something to be concerned about.

Any good oil mixed at any reasonable ratio will be fine in any work or firewood saw out there.

Despite another dreaded "oil thread" the questions are valid.

Don't worry too much about the brand of the oil provided it is TCW-III or equivalent. Echo power blend is fine, and it always makes sense to stick with a top quality company who's been at this game for while, Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, etc. Probably more important to keep PLENTY in the mix instead of not enough, and use the fuel up or dump it into your riding mower if it gets over a couple months old. Mixing ratios are always controversial topics, I use 40 to 1 and have now since the mid 1970's when I started cutting firewood.

Stabil doesn't do much to prevent the octane loss, or not enough impact on it and if you are using E-10 it will pull-in some water and end up forming "apple jelly" in the bottom of the fuel can or fuel tank. So best advice I can give is to make sure the fuel is "fresh" and if/when you aren't going to use your saw or other power equipment for many month.....get it running, dump the tank, and run the engine till it stalls out. If you are able pull the choke out as it dies out to suck all the fuel you can from the carb.

If you follow that deal you'll minimize to potential to plug things up which cause the demise of more of these small engines than any other reason......IMHO......Cliff

Latest posts

Back