Need Help With This Wood I.D.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys,

After several submits the jury is still out on this load of wood given to me by a local guy running an add for "Free Hickory". He told me this about the tree, "Yeah, it used to drop a bumper crop of nuts every other year fer many years yung feller...tastiest dern nuts this side of my scrotum???"!!!!WTH!!:baba::baba::baba::rare2::omg::nofunny:
I never saw any "nuts' lying around...

I've heard everything from White oak, Ash, Mockernut/Pignut Hickory, Butternut, and Popular!
Here are the best pics I could scrounge.
The last 2 pics are something else tossed in as a bonus...I could stand some help on it as well.White Oak 3.jpg
Appreciate it
White Oak 1.jpg White Oak 2.jpg
Strange wood 2.jpg Strange wood.jpg

Any hickory I have even dealt with has a dark core with light wood between the bark and core. From the third picture I would say ash as it looks just like one I cut next to my shed last year.

The second tree resembles chestnut oak top and limb branch bark.

****Updated Split Pics***
Split a few rounds earlier today and it was gnarly, stringy, and full of knots!:chainsaw::chop:
Here are pics...
split 1.jpg
splits 1.jpg split 2.jpg

Do you know what type of elm it was...decent firewood?
No not sure what kind of elm. I know it was stringy and hard to split. I burn it in my outside furnace it does pretty good but it’s not my first choice just because of how it splits.

Back