Ported saws in Canada

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saiso

Mountain Ranger
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So, I’m fairly new in the chainsaw world other than knowing the basics and having my chainsaw course through forestry school.

My first saw was the MS250, which I bought roughly 3 years ago I believe. I was introduced to ported saws through this forum and explained (quite well too, Ryan ;)) a little about what they are and what they offer.

I’m looking to upgrade my 250 and my local chainsaw shop deals Stihl, Echo and Husqvarna. I was leaning towards the MS291 due to better pricing/service through rep until the word ported came up.

As this is mostly an American site (I think?), are there any Canadians here that buy/sees ported saws? Where are you located? How do you come across them? Is it through your employment?

Just looking to see if I can find a ported saw in my neck of the woods before maybe buying the 291 in the spring/summer.

Oh, and I live in a rather small community in the north east part of New Brunswick. I can also be in contact with some truck drivers, machine operators, etc. through my employment so I may inquire through them to see what they know.

Thanks! :surprised3:

From Canada to Canada as well? I’d like to save on shipping/exchange if possible.
Yes. There are Canadians into fast saws around here. I have another piece of advice for you: save your money on the 291, it's not really that huge of a difference in performance from the saw you have. If I had a 250 I'd be looking at 60cc saws at a minimum. @W321shark was in the same boat saw-wise as you, albeit under different conditions.

Yes. There are Canadians into fast saws around here. I have another piece of advice for you: save your money on the 291, it's not really that huge of a difference in performance from the saw you have. If I had a 250 I'd be looking at 60cc saws at a minimum. @W321shark was in the same boat saw-wise as you, albeit under different conditions.
Yeah I do want a 60cc+ saw but my local shop said for the difference in cc’s and prices comparable to the 291, that the 291 was the better option. Service was, the Stihl rep visits weekly meanwhile Echo and Husqvarna is monthly to almost never for Husq.

I’m still undecided but that’s why I’m asking a few questions. I’ll use my 250 for most of the cutting season but would like an upgrade at some point. :) I’d be looking at spending 500$ CAD or so

What was the dealer comparing the 291 too? Is this "rep" the service tech, or a salesman?

$500 CAD is what? $400 USD? I've seen ported 359s go for around that, and occasionally 036s. Without having experienced it I won't be able to explain, other than either of those two would be a HELL of a lot more saw than a 291.

What was the dealer comparing the 291 too? Is this "rep" the service tech, or a salesman?

$500 CAD is what? $400 USD? I've seen ported 359s go for around that, and occasionally 036s. Without having experienced it I won't be able to explain, other than either of those two would be a HELL of a lot more saw than a 291.

Compared the 291 to same priced saw in the Echo and Husqvarna line. Both of those are a fair bit more expensive and whereas I only cut on my own land, would prefer cheaper and lighter if possible. Unless a wicked deal comes up. The 291 has a sale for around 500, but sales come on every change of season.

And yeah, I was told those were huge upgrades. Hopefully I can find ported saws locally here or not too far.

Idk if mike gilbert is on here, but hes sort of near toronto i think and does good work, top notch guy. Not sure where that is in relation to you. Piss on that ms291 haha, much better off with a used pro saw. @GCJenks204 is a guy in canada who may be able to hook u up with something new. Take ur time and do your research.

If you want to get a ported saw skip the 291, its a clam shell so its hard to increase the compression, you can turn it into the 391 tho and get more power that way.
I have no issue with the 291 other than its not the best one to port it's a good saw but I'd get the 590 echo instead of it, it's easier to port and stronger stock too, it's more of a pro level saw than that stihl. You could do a muffler mod and tell locals its ported, they'd never know the difference, its a strong saw lol.
I've never met anyone in nova scotia that has anything to do with ported saws, our wood is kinda small so a stock 60cc saw is all you need around here.
I did port one myself just for something to do, I made a slowish 60 cc Chinese saw a bunch faster.

Idk if mike gilbert is on here, but hes sort of near toronto i think and does good work, top notch guy. Not sure where that is in relation to you. Piss on that ms291 haha, much better off with a used pro saw. @GCJenks204 is a guy in canada who may be able to hook u up with something new. Take ur time and do your research.
Right on! Thank you

If you want to get a ported saw skip the 291, its a clam shell so its hard to increase the compression, you can turn it into the 391 tho and get more power that way.
I have no issue with the 291 other than its not the best one to port it's a good saw but I'd get the 590 echo instead of it, it's easier to port and stronger stock too, it's more of a pro level saw than that stihl. You could do a muffler mod and tell locals its ported, they'd never know the difference, its a strong saw lol.
I've never met anyone in nova scotia that has anything to do with ported saws, our wood is kinda small so a stock 60cc saw is all you need around here.
I did port one myself just for something to do, I made a slowish 60 cc Chinese saw a bunch faster.
Yeah I don’t typically need anything greater than 60cc myself but if I can find a ported saw for the price of a 291, I’ll definitely try it out

Where in NB are you?

Which dealer are you talking with?

Watch Kijiji like a hawk, good saws do shop up on occasion. I won’t buy East coast saws anymore due to humidity and salt water issues. If I can’t see them in person I can’t check the nooks and crannies for rust/ rot.

Talk to Mike as stated, probably they only guy in Canada who’s work I would pay for. I’ve had Mike do 2 and both are awesome saws.

I did just buy a Simonized saw but mostly to tear it down and see what the hype is about.

Save some extra money and get what you really want, a lot more options if you have say $700 to buy a used pro saw and then get it rebuilt/ ported.

Where in NB are you?

Which dealer are you talking with?

Watch Kijiji like a hawk, good saws do shop up on occasion. I won’t buy East coast saws anymore due to humidity and salt water issues. If I can’t see them in person I can’t check the nooks and crannies for rust/ rot.

Talk to Mike as stated, probably they only guy in Canada who’s work I would pay for. I’ve had Mike do 2 and both are awesome saws.

I did just buy a Simonized saw but mostly to tear it down and see what the hype is about.

Save some extra money and get what you really want, a lot more options if you have say $700 to buy a used pro saw and then get it rebuilt/ ported.

Live in Neguac. Work out of Miramichi. Dealer is G&G, a locally owned shop I believe.

I can travel a little bit as I have family in Moncton (born there) and travel a bit due to work. My father in law also lives in Ontario so if something pops up over there, I may ask him if he can pick it up.

Live in Neguac. Work out of Miramichi. Dealer is G&G, a locally owned shop I believe.

I can travel a little bit as I have family in Moncton (born there) and travel a bit due to work. My father in law also lives in Ontario so if something pops up over there, I may ask him if he can pick it up.

Where in Ontario, it’s a pretty big place... I also find those guys don’t like to drive far...

What size would will you be cutting? Does the 250 handle now and you just want better / faster or do you need bigger?

Where in Ontario, it’s a pretty big place... I also find those guys don’t like to drive far...

What size would will you be cutting? Does the 250 handle now and you just want better / faster or do you need bigger?

Need? Probably not. The 250 does well for most part but I may also not be the type to touch up my chain every gas tank either :surprised3:

I plan on harvesting some bigger timber this summer to try and make a little bit of money. Realistically, the 250 sometime has a harder time with the bigger birch or sugar maple. What I cut is RM, WB, BF, W/R/B Spruce, Tamarack, the occasional sugar maple.

Who doesn’t want a bigger, better, faster saw? :D

Father in law owns a company in Bolton and travels to work I think.

If you go up, go up....You don't need ported saw. You need a good strong saw.
Check on eBay or any other possible adds for MS460 Magnum.
You may find one for $500, but even if you add some extra to it is worth it.
Will be the best saw you ever have. And you can use it with 18 to 32 inch bar.
I do have one and I will never change for any other saw.
Good luck my friend.

Latest posts

Back