Ported saws in Canada

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree wholeheartedly with Gugi.

Just find a good used 70cc pro saw. 500.00 to 600.00 will easily cover that. Good saws come up all the time on kijiji or in other places. Find an original, unmolested stock saw with reasonably low hours. Or find a rebuilt saw by a guy that cares what he sells, as many of those “ rebuilds” will be $h!t, as will many of those “ported” saws.

Ms460, ms461, 372xp, 365, etc.. It sounds like you are recently into forestry. Buy a saw a forester would run in the woods. You’ll thank me later.

You don’t need a ported saw. Many pro saws are “hot rods” as delivered relative to farm saws.

Sites like these warp time and space wrt powersaws.

I would buy an Echo cs590 over all the other 60cc farm saws. I did, as a matter of fact - because it was reasonably priced, and as it turns out, a pretty good saw. Echo’s prices in Canada are creeping up rather quickly, so that opens up more options. I sometimes wonder if Echo is paying attention.

For more than you are willing to pay, the Husqvarna 365 is a great deal in a new 70cc saw.

i agree wholeheartedly with Gugi.

Just find a good used 70cc pro saw. 500.00 to 600.00 will easily cover that. Good saws come up all the time on kijiji or in other places. Find an original, unmolested stock saw with reasonably low hours. Or find a rebuilt saw by a guy that cares what he sells, as many of those “ rebuilds” will be $h!t, as will many of those “ported” saws.

Ms460, ms461, 372xp, 365, etc.. It sounds like you are recently into forestry. Buy a saw a forester would run in the woods. You’ll thank me later.

You don’t need a ported saw. Many pro saws are “hot rods” as delivered relative to farm saws.

Sites like these warp time and space wrt powersaws.

I would buy an Echo cs590 over all the other 60cc farm saws. I did, as a matter of fact - because it was reasonably priced, and as it turns out, a pretty good saw. Echo’s prices in Canada are creeping up rather quickly, so that opens up more options. I sometimes wonder if Echo is paying attention.

For more than you are willing to pay, the Husqvarna 365 is a great deal in a new 70cc saw.
Thanks! I’ll be searching Kijiji often for used pro saws then.

I’m fairly new yeah. Grew up a city boy, took forestry (ranger) school, met my wife, moved 2 hours north to her hometown, now live off grid so started cutting wood. Now I want more!!:surprised3:

Keep your eyes peeled on kijiji, local Facebook, etc. Just quickly check a couple or three times a day.

I have bought a few used saws from all across the country. Sight unseen. Most folks are good people. I have been pleased.

Ask a few key questions:

1)Are you the original owner?

2)Is the saw ALL original; if not why? (Perhaps it’s a modern saw that needed limiters removed cause it was running too lean, or muffler mod cause it was running too hot)

3)Does it need anything or is it good to go?

You don’t want a ported Chinese jug thrown onto a burnt up saw..

@Saiso you should be talking to this guy and finding out how far away he is. Rumour has it that despite his screen name he's really a Stihl head and might be willing to let something go to you. I would trust anything you got from him.
10-4. I believe he’s in NS. Not too too far. A bit further than where I was located 4 years ago.

If you go up, go up....You don't need ported saw. You need a good strong saw.
Check on eBay or any other possible adds for MS460 Magnum.
You may find one for $500, but even if you add some extra to it is worth it.
Will be the best saw you ever have. And you can use it with 18 to 32 inch bar.
I do have one and I will never change for any other saw.
Good luck my friend.
Do NOT underestimate the bar size options. The 460 is a very versatile saw and when you find the bar size you use most you should consider light weight bars, not trying to spend your money but as you get older (And FATTER) you look for easier ways to accomplish things. If you are using a shorter bar the most (20"?) You can speed up the chain with an 8 tooth sprocket but do be careful with faster chains. If you change sprocket size you will need to add a link to your chain ex: 24" bar calls for 84 drive links you will need 85 DLs' . ( Unless you grind a smidgeon off the clutch end of the bar for adjustment and putting the bar and chain on purposes) Bar oiling ports will work OK . If you go with a longer bar (32") You mite consider a skip chain and I do run a 28" full skip 58 ga Stihl bar and chain on one of my 460 saws but only because they were in a Package deal on another saw. I am not sure what others recommend for 58 ga or 63 ga of chains but they can chime in any time and I will certainly learn something. I grind the clutch end of my bars so the bars will interchange with my 056 Magnum II saws that use the 8 tooth sprocket as they are a torquier but slower saw. The torque for the mag II justifies a 63 ga so I run 63 ga on my 460s' as well Hope this helps

@Saiso I was in the same boat as you awhile back. We cut all are wood with a 250 for 3 years. Before that an 011avt was the only saw we had for 2 decades between my FIL and I. I have my ported 590 and 7910 and the first saw I grab is my cs490. I want the smallest lightest saw that will get the job done efficiently. Are the big saws nice to have, certainly but the 7910 sees most of its run time just because I hate to see my saws sit idle for long periods of time. A good 60cc saw will probly be plenty for what you plan to do.

@Saiso I was in the same boat as you awhile back. We cut all are wood with a 250 for 3 years. Before that an 011avt was the only saw we had for 2 decades between my FIL and I. I have my ported 590 and 7910 and the first saw I grab is my cs490. I want the smallest lightest saw that will get the job done efficiently. Are the big saws nice to have, certainly but the 7910 sees most of its run time just because I hate to see my saws sit idle for long periods of time. A good 60cc saw will probly be plenty for what you plan to do.
Yeah, I like lighter saws myself as I tend to work harder getting the logs out (no machinery)

I’m probably more uncertain now but at least my knowledge has developed a bit :)

Thanks for the reply.

You can do better than either of those. Just pay attention and be patient.

There’s no need to buy an ugly used saw when you can buy a good looking one for the same money.

Edit: the Makita might be interesting...

The Dolmar is ugly.

Latest posts

Back