Echo CS-400 Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was able to get my hands on a Mcculloch Mac130 + two Echo CS-400's from a local dealer used and not working for super cheap. I stripped down one of the CS-400's and cleaned the carb & made sure all fuel lines were going to the right places as they were all disconnected when I got my hands on it. Right now it will start, but right when I hit the gas it will stall out. It will usually start back up but does the same thing over and over again. If it does not start after several pulls it will start if I let it sit for 5-10 minutes.

I have replaced the fuel filter thinking it was starving for fuel but to no avail. I have messed with the Hi-Lo & Idle and sometimes get longer run times but still cannot get this running more than 1 - 3 minutes.

I am thinking there may be a compression problem / vacuum leak? Do you think it is worth purchasing a new carb? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks a lot!

Peter

IMG_1429.JPG

Ya I hope not... I read in another post that I should start at 4 turns out and work my way in... Im going to try that and see what happens.

Where are you starting your low setting screw? try 1 1/2 turns out and see what happens.
on the 310 and 352 I mm and tuned for people I was closer to 3 1/2 on the low and around the same on the high. The little echos seem to like it way out there.

My dealer takes the factory setting and goes out an 1/8 to 1/2 a turn on any saw he puts on the shelf. May be why I never heard of burned up small echos unless I'm on AS.
Edit to say that only applies to the 310 through 400 echos.

Hey really appreciate all of the feedback. Thanks to all who responded. Im going to see if I have some time today to play around with it and see where I can get. Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for the PM Ray,

Peter

My dealer takes the factory setting and goes out an 1/8 to 1/2 a turn on any saw he puts on the shelf. May be why I never heard of burned up small echos unless I'm on AS.
Edit to say that only applies to the 310 through 400 echos.

Your right James , I've tuned a lot of CS400 saws

on the 310 and 352 I mm and tuned for people I was closer to 3 1/2 on the low and around the same on the high. The little echos seem to like it way out there.

Your right James, I've tuned a lot of CS400 saws and start at 4 turns out then gradually back in until running good. Most end up 3 to 3 1/2 on the high and 2 1/2 to 3 on the low. Steve

Alright, so I turned everything out 4 turns and got the saw started after choking it normally. If I do not press the gas at all it will stay running but the second I tap the gas it stalls out. If I get it started again the same thing happens. At one point I was able to give it gas WOT and the chain was moving about 1/8 its normal speed. It finally stalled out again and after pulling it 15 - 20 times to get it started again it would not start. It's been sitting for a couple hours now and I bet it would start up again but do the same thing.

Another weird thing was that I was playing with the idle screw in both directions and it made absolutely no difference on idle speed which was weird.

Here is a short YouTube video of part of what I am talking about... I apologize for the video being sideways sometimes I start recording too early but at least you can get an idea of what is going on.

--At 4 turns out it should be pig rich , smoking a lot and not acting like its lean, rebuild the carb or get a new one, new fuel line and make sure the hooked up right at the primer bulb and carb. Steve

Yeah, 4 turns out would be really rich, especially on the low side. Kinda surprise it even idled. Running that rich would have also loaded the crankcase with fuel to the point of stalling out, and not being able to restart (basically, it's flooded). The idle screw likely wouldn't have done much running that rich either.

Initial settings from the CS-400 service manual:

Low speed screw - 1 3/8

High speed screw - 2 3/4

Idle screw - 1 3/8 turn after first contact with throttle

If using a tach, the idle speed should be 2,600, ± 200 RPM

No smoke, sounds like its running out of fuel to me when he applies. throttle. Most likely hole in the fuel line, gunked up carb keeping it from getting enough fuel. I've never had a real rich saw not take throttle, they just blubber real bad but do rev up some. Steve

Alright so I tried starting it this up this morning with the following setting:

Low speed screw - 1 3/8

High speed screw - 2 3/4

Idle screw - 1 3/8 turn after first contact with throttle

It will start now almost every time but die out after about 1 second. I will post a video as soon as I can... I am going to play with the hi / lo and see what I can do.

Back