Ported saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the average firewood hack have any use for a ported saw? If i put a poorly filed chain on a ported saw, do you think it would cut better than a really sharp chain on a good running, but not ported saw. Say use a 7900 Dolmar as an example. Also does anyone use square ground chain with hard woods, like white oak or Ash? Or is it mainly used in softwoods?

Where are you in Iowa? I’m down near the Quad Cities. I have a couple ported saws.

For the average, a couple cord a year, no you don't need it. If you want it sure. I don't need 30 saws, most over 90CC's, but I want them. The sharp chain is the one thing the average fire wood guy does not understand. Almost every friend I have that has one saw for yard use, can not keep it sharp. You can look at the ground around where they have been cutting and see the little zip marks in the dirt where each cut broke through and touched. So, the extra speed you get in a ported saw is wasted on the average guy. One thing I know is that bigger chain dulls slower than smaller chain. I can take one of my 100CC saws with 404 chain on it and snip right through a nail or piece of barbed wire. If one of my 70-90CC saws with 3/8's hits the same size nail it will wipe out every tooth on the chain. 325 touches the ground a couple times and it's gone. One project that keeps getting put to the back of the bench is an old Stihl 08S that a friend pulled out of a dumpster and gave me. I think it's 55-56CC's with a 20 inch bar, pulling 404. I'd love to try it out for a few hours. Maybe I'll send that one down to Randy to work some magic on. If anyone takes offense because I say the average guy can't keep a saw sharp, don't. The fact that you are hear puts you above average, or you will be soon.
This is more like what i was talking about. Not a completely dull chain, just one that the average guy has sharpened. Maybe i should be looking to put .404 chain on a few of my bigger saws. I tried it on an Echo CS_800, but it was pretty anemic with a 7 pin rim and a 32" bar. Maybe it would have been better wit ha shorter one. Anyone ever tried .404 on a 7900 Dolmar, say 24"?
Where are you in Iowa? I’m down near the Quad Cities. I have a couple ported saws.
Northeast IA, near Charles City.

I enjoy a ported saw but I do not mind any saw with a a good chain. Local tree company I help has miserable chains. Way too much hook, takers too low, and always skip chain. He cannot understand that although an MS880 is a mighty saw.. with drags at .035 - .040 it wont just fly with a 123dl. All the power is worthless if the chain sucks.

Now a sharp chain and ported.. that is a treat.

There's a get together in Iowa in April. Should be a few ported saws there I'd imagine :).

.404 is really 90cc+ territory. It's considerably more durable, and the chains last forever, but it's not faster cutting. Compared to 3/8 it'll be slower almost without exception.
GTG in Iowa is the 27th of April this year. There is 3 of us that work together to host it. I'll need to get a thread up with more info. It's on my brother's farm between Chelsea and Belle Plaine. There will definitely be ported saws there to test! Would love to have you join us!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

It's about having tools that are a pleasure to use.
This :rolleyes:.
I don't really enjoy mowing on a crappy rider, but I enjoy running my Exmark Lazer Z :yes:.

Do I like a ported saw, yes, they have their place, but I always say hand me a saw with full tanks and a sharp chain and lets cut.

I’m really sad I missed a vintage craftsman (Poulan) top handle on the trader the other day for $40. Pics showed it to be perfect condition, but had been sitting for a very long time. The wife’s been talking about a saw she could do the little stuff with for me.
A rear handle saw would be a better choice if you ask me.
But...Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 4.13.13 PM.png

Here's the thing, I really enjoy running a chainsaw and cutting wood. Yes, for the most part I'm a firewood hack and I'm not making a ton of money doing tree removals so no real need for speed. The slow part is in the splitting/stacking. Being that the part I enjoy the most is running a chainsaw, why do I want to lessen that time by having a faster cutting saw? I want that therapy, so as long as the chain is sharp and I'm not getting bored in the cut, I'll stick with what I have. Yes, someday I'd like to run or own one, but I'm rather content with what I've got, other than I'd like to add a 70cc saw to the mix.

Latest posts

Back