Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have maybe 25 of my crates of split firewood left over and 3 crates of limbs sitting here. I never keep track of how much I burn each year but I know I cut up 15 crates of limbs around November 10th and that's all I've been burning and 3 of them are left so that's 4 bush cords since Nov 10th? The limbs don't fill the crates as well as split wood either. Half of the limbs were also fresh cut trees. I thought I would burn them to get rid of them and save split wood already in crates for next year. So far it's been working well other than seems to be a lot more coals and ashes when burning it all in rounds. I have 250 rounds 32" long sitting at the splitter waiting for me. Been helping a buddy redo his plumbing and electrical. His water line froze which collapsed his kitchen ceiling. Insurance company patched up the copper lines that had frozen and burst 3 times already and were planning to just re drywall the ceiling. I said f that, we ripped the rest of the drywall down and I ripped out the copper and re routed new Pex lines away from the exterior walls and are insulating the perimeters better. House was built in early 1900's and most of it has no insulation on outside walls. No way was I leaving it that way. He's not much of a handy man so my wife and I sent him sledding today and we spent the day there, a couple more nights running new light circuits and it'll be ready for the Insurance company to finish the ceiling and install new floors. Really hated not being in the bush the last few days but helping him out was higher on my list of things to do. Next weekend I'll be back to the bush to get back to restocking my log piles.
Here's a pic of the limbs all cut to 36" or so.
20181111_143039.jpg 1314.jpg

I've burnt more this year than the last two and I am into my red oak stash. Winter is never going to end. -15 last night and -11 tonight. Looks like it is gonna turn the end of the week(hopefully)!
and don't forget to pull up the chest waders!! with the quick warm up.

We’ve had some near zero nights but the ground has never frozen up to where it gets solid. Just starts getting hard and it warms up and rains, then we get an insulating layer of snow then it melts off. Keep repeating. When I was cutting Saturday my boots and timberjack were both covered with mud.

this years hardwood cutting in heavy soil might be delayed till fall! tons of pine and other softwoods will be the ticket with the coming of mud season... perhaps all summer long making soft wood prices better, but not that the hardwood price will bring with a shortage of aged wood! prepare for the worst and pray for the best? lol

this years hardwood cutting in heavy soil might be delayed till fall! tons of pine and other softwoods will be the ticket with the coming of mud season... perhaps all summer long making soft wood prices better, but not that the hardwood price will bring with a shortage of aged wood! prepare for the worst and pray for the best? lol
Word amongst the forests here is some expect a major export buyer (China) to hang us out to dry when they come to an agreement with USA on importing more of their wood. Guys are getting nervous as all heck and one I spoke with is delaying a serious equipment purchase until the dust settles. It wouldn't be the first time letters of credit were suddenly revoked and lots of near new equipment was being sold off cheap, as guys got their arses handed to 'em on a plate and needed to quit gear pronto.

Word amongst the forests here is some expect a major export buyer (China) to hang us out to dry when they come to an agreement with USA on importing more of their wood. Guys are getting nervous as all heck and one I spoke with is delaying a serious equipment purchase until the dust settles. It wouldn't be the first time letters of credit were suddenly revoked and lots of near new equipment was being sold off cheap, as guys got their arses handed to 'em on a plate and needed to quit gear pronto.
NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THEN FARMING! plant and pray for a bumper crop and better prices??

NOT MUCH DIFFERENT THEN FARMING! plant and pray for a bumper crop and better prices??
yeah, a few nervous twitches amongst the smaller agri/dairy-players here for the same reason as the forestry guys. They know USA is pushing for better access/fewer tariffs on their goods into China and we have had a few noises from China recently about how displeased they are about our call to not go with Huawei for the 5g rollout and some here think that's just the opening/softening blow and the excuse they are preparing to use when they finally admit to cancelling their orders for dairy/forestry products.

Very strange winter this year. Numerous temp fluctuations from -0 to 50+ in no time flat, high winds, and largest snow storms in November and March!

In fact, it is coming down pretty good right now. Had a challenging drive home with the Stang after my last appt, but those Blizzak tires came through!

They may have been using 7/8 or 1", and those big steel towers are about 200'. If the rope had to go through a pulley and back down you might be talking a 4-500' hank. Clarence just bought a hank of 1/2" rated at 9,000 pounds from Baileys for something like $139. I forget if he said it was 150 or 200'.
our tower is only 120'. they had the extra rope coiled in a big trash can. i'm thinkin it was at least 1"x500'.

Never seen anybody cut a big tree up that way. Interesting.
That was a technique I learned here from a few people. Mainly Cowboy. If you cut off the end first then you have to wrestle a giant cookie. I tried that on some 36" ash. Didn't work out very well. Noodle it into blocks as long as your splits need to be then make the crosscut. Blocks just fall off the end of the log and load into truck. Blocks fill the stove more with less gaps also instead of wedge shaped splits.

Sure could use another pair of hands scrounging , comeon up !!!
We need another Donk , get you lotsa different exercises with the same theme lol

Trust me I'd be bloody useless to ya mate, I'm running on fumes at the moment, I really have nothing in the Tank as it were, I was hoping the exercises would see me feeling a bit more energized but it hasn't happened as yet, hopefully it will sooner than later as I have things that need to be done!

Went to a few local antique shops today and FINALLY got what i was looking for to match my nickel door!!

Im super excited [emoji23][emoji23]. Been looking for the right one for months.

$24

I also made a kinda 3D stainless trivet to set it on.

f32a95f93d0355321e3805fb3f6d6095.jpg

a3986fe42840197f033d15c43a913de8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice tea kettle. Any name stamped on it?

Back